This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A question for long time competitive battles (At least since the 3rd gen).

#1spooky96Posted 4/17/2013 8:33:49 AM
According to you, which generation brought the biggest change in the metagame and play style? I mean like...

Gen 2 made the splitting of Special into Attack and Defense plus brought Steel and Dark.
Gen 3 brought abilities and natures.
Gen 4 brought physical/special split/monstrous items (Scarf, Specs, Band).
Gen 5 brought team previews and dreamworld abilities.

I've been into competitive battling since 4th gen, but I really think 5th most likely brought a bigger change than from 3rd to 4th gen.
#2PolimarioPosted 4/17/2013 8:35:55 AM
Gen 4 by far.
---
I am the Tough Possessor!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHpecqQrT1k
#3P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 4/17/2013 8:37:47 AM
Either 3rd or 4th
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam
#4Dark_EinherjarPosted 4/17/2013 9:51:29 AM
"Gen 2 made the splitting of Special into Attack and Defense plus brought Steel and Dark."

It also brought held items and important changes to the type chart:
-Poison is now resistant to Bug (it was weak before);
-Bug now takes neutral damage from Poison (it was weak before);
-Fire is now resistant to Ice (it was neutral before);
-Psychic is now weak against Ghost (it was immune before).
Additionally, Night Shade and Seismic Toss no longer ignore type imunnities as they did before.

"Gen 3 brought abilities and natures."

It also brought the EV distribution.

"Gen 4 brought physical/special split/monstrous items (Scarf, Specs, Band)."

Choice Band already existed in Gen III and new items are... well... items. Therefore, I consider the physical/special split the only real "change", and it was really more important than everything else, as most offensive Pokémon were now able to combine STAB with their highest attack stat for more damage. Gengar and the pseudo-legendary dragons are examples of Pokémon who greatly benefited from that.

"Gen 5 brought team previews and dreamworld abilities."

What?
Team Preview has been around ever since Pokémon Stadium in Gen I; Gen V merely brought it to the main games. Hidden Abilities aren't really a change; they're no different than giving new abilities to old Pokémon in Gen IV.
IMO, Gen V brought no real changes to battles: just new Pokémon, moves, abilities and items, which is more like "improving what already exists" than actually changing anything.

Anyway... as far as the number of changes are concerned, I really think Gen III wins here. Natures, Abilities and the EV distribution were all big changes and they all have major impact in competitive team building nowadays.
---
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
-Sirius Black
#5spooky96(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2013 10:05:49 AM
lol Actually after posting that message I did notice I'm forgetting a lot of things. Ohh maybe I read somewhere wrong that Choice items were brought in 4th gen -__-"

I don't know about Stadium crap games, but all I know is that when I/we use to play in Shoddy battle there was no team preview <_<
#6PChaosWMPosted 4/17/2013 12:00:59 PM
I would argue Gen 4. Physical/Special split was probably the thing that did it for me.
---
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional.
Pokemon Black 2 FC - Mamoser / 0090-1828-2316
#7Archwing3441Posted 4/17/2013 12:58:02 PM
gen 4 imo, also, choice band was buyable in pokemon colosseum, gen 3.
---
Nintendo? PlayStation? no...
http://mangafox.me/manga/mel_kano/v03/c016/27.html