This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does Mewtwo have a feminine voice in the new movie trailer?

#51ShotgunryuganPosted 4/18/2013 8:37:39 AM
Jrx1 posted...
Shotgunryugan posted...
From what i can recall Legendary PKMN don't have genders, so it shouldn't really bother people so much >.>

It bothers, because Mewtwo's voice just doesn't fit like that. And Nostalgia plays a big factor.

It wouldn't be a problem if only Newtwo had that voice, but they didn't had to mess up what people loved.

Maybe the previous voice actor wasn't available.
They changed the voice actors in the Kingdom Hearts 3DS game and i didn't get bothered by it(granted one of them died, but still).

I do have the Nostalgia like everyone else, but these things usually happen with animated characters.
---
"Do you know what happens to a toad when it is struck by lightening?The same thing that happens to everything else!"-Storm
#52Jrx1Posted 4/18/2013 8:40:36 AM
Shotgunryugan posted...
Jrx1 posted...
Shotgunryugan posted...
From what i can recall Legendary PKMN don't have genders, so it shouldn't really bother people so much >.>

It bothers, because Mewtwo's voice just doesn't fit like that. And Nostalgia plays a big factor.

It wouldn't be a problem if only Newtwo had that voice, but they didn't had to mess up what people loved.

Maybe the previous voice actor wasn't available.
They changed the voice actors in the Kingdom Hearts 3DS game and i didn't get bothered by it(granted one of them died, but still).

I do have the Nostalgia like everyone else, but these things usually happen with animated characters.

Find a replacement similar sounding to the old one and leave the feminine voice to Newtwo = Everyone's happy.
---
Official Arceus of the Pokemon X and Y boards
~The God of Pokemon!~
#53Gray_AreasPosted 4/18/2013 8:57:17 AM
LenneValkirye posted...
Twilight_Sonata posted...

(This is something that people don't want to hear, but I don't care.)
In a patriarchal society like ours where male is generally the default consideration, most gender-neutral things are considered male-by-default.

That's stupid. Meloetta and Virizion are definitely female in the anime, despite being genderless in the games.

Which is odd considering Virizion is based on a male character from the Three Musketeers. But that aside, the anime has depicted that most Legendaries DO have genders. Perhaps humans just can't tell the difference? Or maybe it is just for balancing purposes (no breeding for perfect IV Multiscale Lugia)? But either way, the anime shows that they do (baby Lugia, anyone?). Mewtwo sounded manly in the first movie, so of course people would associate it with the male gender.

Speaking through telepathy means Mewtwo probably can alter what it's voice sounds like, but what matters is why he chose that voice. Or why they decided a female VA was the appropriate choice. Could this Mewtwo be different from the one we saw in the first movie? Could it just be a new VA? Or could it just be Mewtwo deciding to use a new voice? We won't know with the information given, so let's just give it a rest and wait for more news.
---
White FC: 4727 7422 4019
Platinum FC: 2063 5286 9480
#54TranquilSeaPosted 4/18/2013 9:04:06 AM
Remember that Mewtwo doesn't talk. Mewtwo uses telepathy to speak so any major shift in power could cause the way the voice sounds to change. That is the excuse I am sticking with.

I like this explanation.
---
Rise up again, rise up again, rise up again
Rise up, yes, we can fight you now
#55KingCrInuYashaPosted 4/18/2013 9:06:15 AM
I always thought that baritone voice of his in the English version of the first film - or one similar to it - is probably his most fitting. Either that, or the Timothy Dalton-esque rasp from the Japanese version. I don't know why thy chose this particular style for this film; if they wanted to not put a gender to Mewtwo, they could have given him a more androgynous sounding voice.

Taken as it is, as awkward as Mewtwo having a feminine voice around her 30s or early 40s (I don't know if that's the actress' actual age, please correct me if I'm wrong), the actual voice itself is by no means bad. Strange, maybe, but not bad. Who knows, she could be the Daniel Craig of the Mewtwo voice actors - ridiculed at first, but turn out better than expected.
---
"This is the strangest life I've ever known" - Jim Morrison
#56Shadow_StarWolfPosted 4/18/2013 9:08:54 AM
By the way, the deep voice at the beginning was Red Genesect's. Ash befriends the goofy Douse Genesect it seems.

Mewtwo voice changed because they wanted to show that it has changed.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZOdcN.png
We Are XROS HEART!
#57ZeroArcheryPosted 4/18/2013 9:14:31 AM
Just watched it, you guys are grossly over reacting.

It's just like how Ash is voiced by a girl, or Naruto.

The voice didn't sound extremely feminine. What's the problem, again?
---
Official President of the NST
'But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.' - Joshua
#58PsychoWolfXPosted 4/18/2013 9:17:55 AM
Maybe Mew and Mewtwo had a egg and this is their daughter....or something.
#59Jrx1Posted 4/18/2013 9:24:21 AM(edited)
ZeroArchery posted...
Just watched it, you guys are grossly over reacting.

It's just like how Ash is voiced by a girl, or Naruto.

The voice didn't sound extremely feminine. What's the problem, again?

Because Mewtwo used to be voiced by a male in every single region he appeared. This just ruins it's character. Like i said, i wouldn't mind if that was the voice used for Newtwo, but don't ruin what isn't broken.

I'll be 100% okay if this Mewtwo will turn out to be a whole different one from other universe or something.
---
Official Arceus of the Pokemon X and Y boards
~The God of Pokemon!~
#60KingCrInuYashaPosted 4/18/2013 9:25:04 AM(edited)
PsychoWolfX posted...
Maybe Mew and Mewtwo had a egg and this is their daughter....or something.

I highly doubt that.

Shadow_StarWolf posted...
By the way, the deep voice at the beginning was Red Genesect's. Ash befriends the goofy Douse Genesect it seems.

Mewtwo voice changed because they wanted to show that it has changed.

1. Of course Ash befriends the goofy water elemental.

2. Kind of a silly reason, but as long as Mewtwo doesn't sound/speak like Metroid: Other M Samus in this film, I won't complain.
---
"This is the strangest life I've ever known" - Jim Morrison