This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Stealth Rock is a work of art.

#11ColtCababa(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2013 9:39:17 PM
SteaIth_Rock posted...
I am pretty great, right?

http://i.imgur.com/nhqoe0C.gif

Yeah.
---
Official Crawdaunt of the Pokemon XY Boards and Team Miror Infinity
"It's Faaan-daaan-gooo! Breathe the A's in." -Fandango
#12iKhanicPosted 4/17/2013 9:46:42 PM
Donniedonz posted...
Charizard isn't a good Pokemon in general, the quad weakness to Stealth Rock just compiles the awfulness of it.

Look at Volcarona. Sure, it's x4 weak to Stealth Rock, but it's a heavily used Pokemon in the metagame because it's a GREAT Pokemon.

Volcarona has pretty much an ideal movepool and stat distribution for a pokemon. It can boost 3 of its base stats that are already >=100 base in one move. The ONLY other Uber or OU pokemon 4x weak to SR is Ho-Oh, and it has amazing stats and movepool as well. So SR pretty much weeded out any pokemon that wasn't perfect before (competitively, Volcarona's still horrendously ugly in design)

ReachOutToTruth posted...
Charizard never dominated the metagame though. As far as I can remember he's always been UU at best.

Was BL (which is essentially OU) for 2 gens for being the fastest Belly Drum user. Nowadays, it probably would still be BL/OU if stealth rock didn't exist and Solar power only did 1/16 damage (which can be countered with leftovers). It's still one of the fastest Fire-types around, sports what is actually a decent typing aside from SR, can neutrally hit every pokemon in the game with 3 moves (one of which is only necessary for Heatran), and can have a gigantic Sp. Atk under the sun.

And being the fastest Belly Drum user is still a big deal w/o those damn inconspicuous stones.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#13NinjaKitsunePosted 4/17/2013 10:01:37 PM
Charizard never dominated the metagame though. As far as I can remember he's always been UU at best.

He actually made BL in 2nd and 3rd gen.
---
Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might...Holy **** IT'S A SATELLITE!
#14Faust_8Posted 4/17/2013 10:54:54 PM
So SR pretty much weeded out any pokemon that wasn't perfect before (competitively, Volcarona's still horrendously ugly in design)

This is literally meaningless because it's nothing but your subjective opinion.

You transition (or rather, DON'T transition) from making reasoned judgments of the metagame or the viability of a Pokemon competitively by inserting your opinionated judgment of its appearance, as if it's fact AND that it actually matters.

Stop it. We know you hate how Volcarona looks. It has yet to matter to anyone else, ESPECIALLY when the discussion is only about how well they compete.

Volcarona is great for battling. You agree. That's where the discussion ends.

Heck, for example I would probably call Conkeldurr ugly (and it's name is even funny--ConkelDURR like an idiot) but 1) that doesn't matter and 2) has nothing to do with it being a very good Fighting Pokemon. In a discussion of how well Conky competes, it is utterly a waste for me to bring up what my personal opinions of his aesthetic design are.

Stop. It.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#15LueroiPosted 4/17/2013 10:57:13 PM
Stealth rock is crippling, but it doesn't mean an automatic KO, especially if you have wish/recover and leftovers. It doesn't hurt sweepers that much as they only need to hit hard and come back.
#16MightyRevenantPosted 4/18/2013 2:15:37 AM
art is pretentious
that's the thing
but yeah stealth rock is certainly art
---
Official Eviolite of the pretentious Pokemon fanbase on GameFAQs.
#17Twilight_SonataPosted 4/18/2013 2:19:25 AM
iKhanic posted...
BL (which is essentially OU)

That's... not what BL is at all.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#18LightningAce11Posted 4/18/2013 2:24:37 AM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
iKhanic posted...
BL (which is essentially OU)

That's... not what BL is at all.

Yeah, iKhanic! That means it wasn't good enough to make the cut, but wasn't so bad that it had to be dropped down.
---
"Nostalgia makes the heart feeble. It is the heart's nemesis." - Trema
#19BlazingRainPosted 4/18/2013 4:08:33 AM
Donniedonz posted...
Charizard isn't a good Pokemon in general, the quad weakness to Stealth Rock just compiles the awfulness of it.

Look at Volcarona. Sure, it's x4 weak to Stealth Rock, but it's a heavily used Pokemon in the metagame because it's a GREAT Pokemon.

Yeah because quiver dance is so important and great that one Pokemon is borderline Uber with it and another is NU without it.

Wait, that's just because Smogon's tiers are stupid.
---
La Illaha Illa Allah, Muhammad Rasul Allah
#20CrabhammarPosted 4/18/2013 4:14:02 AM
SteaIth_Rock posted...
I am pretty great, right?

http://i.imgur.com/nhqoe0C.gif

lmao
---
assets18.pokemon.com/assets/cms/img/video-games/pokemonxy/characters/pokemonxy_froakie.jpg