This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you accept $100,000 if it means Pokemon never ever existed?

#141AlI_About_The_UPosted 4/19/2013 12:00:19 AM
Ugh, yet another poll thread with a premise pretty much everyone will say no too. Why do I even bother reading these?

$100,000 is kinda low anyway, TC. Think higher, like five more sets of zeros higher.

But the results overwhelmingly lean toward "yes". Raising the reward would only make it more one-sided.
---
http://i.imgur.com/PqS9Duf.jpg
#142LuminaXLightPosted 4/19/2013 12:00:55 AM
johnluke728 posted...
Ugh, yet another poll thread with a premise pretty much everyone will say no too. Why do I even bother reading these?

$100,000 is kinda low anyway, TC. Think higher, like five more sets of zeros higher.

Jagus posted...
How the hell can people say yes? Maybe I'm just weird, but $100,000 doesn't seem anywhere near worth the happiness Pokemon has brought me through the years. Maybe I'm just not as a desperate for cash as some people are right now.

It's actually quite sad how many demoralizing things people would do for less money than that, and Television has examples of that in spades. Anybody up for eating a 100 year-old egg? =P

Did you look at the poll results?
---
Anise, she's bursting with fonons
#143xKYSxPosted 4/19/2013 12:27:54 AM
yes, then I'll be the one to bring it back again and it's gen 1 all over again except better BST and typing for some pokes.
---
360 GT & PSN = xKYSx.
#144MrL1193Posted 4/19/2013 12:31:34 AM
The TC's offer is way too painless and risk-free...
---
Knowledge is power, and ignorance is bliss.
Unfortunately, most people won't settle for one; they usually end up with neither.
#145MaveCrystPosted 4/19/2013 1:07:24 AM
MM125 posted...
MaveCryst posted...
No good reason for me not to give it up and get 100k, since I wouldn't even remember there was such a thing.

That's my problem with choosing yes. Take out years of memories from my life, and who am I anymore? Would I still be the same guy I am now? Would I still love the same people I love now? To me, no amount of money is worth losing myself.

Year of memories from your life? Pokemon defined yourself? If that is truly the case, then yeah, I have much less trouble imagining why you wouldn't take the money, except that according to the OP, you wouldn't lose yourself. In fact you'd just be obsessing over something else, and you would be put in pretty much the same spot in life as you are now, sans the game, Pokemon.

The question is really too easy, there's hardly even a sacrifice to be made. Though like I said, even if I were to remember that in an alternate reality, Pokemon existed and I gave it up, I still would. I've enjoyed the game, but even games that I LOVE do not define my existence... None of my major accomplishments in life have anything remotely to do with Pokemon, so 100k is a damn good deal. Plus with 100K I can work quicker towards my next accomplishment...
#146acrylick42Posted 4/19/2013 1:20:54 AM
No, that's selfish.
---
Enchantment?
Enchantment!
#147InfyraPosted 4/19/2013 1:22:34 AM
Hell yeah, finally a chance for DQM.
---
Milimi, Exiles of Fate - Zenedar (EU)
#148meteor9898Posted 4/19/2013 1:33:52 AM(edited)
Yes...and then I will use the money to create a game called "Pokemon" and make billions.

EDIT: lookslike others had the same idea lol
#149cyounexttuesdayPosted 4/19/2013 1:59:15 AM
I'm not sure whether I'm

a) In awe and inspired by the people who said "No" for having something that obviously means so much to them.

b) Incredulous because that's a shedload of money to receive for very little in return and, in my mind, only someone who doesn't need that money (and if you don't, boy am I jealous!) would say "No" to this.

c) Feel sad for and pity those for whom Pokemon has become all that they cling to for happiness. Don't get me wrong, not having a pot here, we've all got something that keeps us going - mine ain't much better - however if Pokemon is worth more than $100k, and you need that money (if not, see b), then you may need to re-evaluate your life and try to see how you can improve it (yes, a lot easier said than done I know).

Pokemon, in all forms, should be a hobby - something to pass the time, to help meet like-minded people and something that makes you happy in partaking. However, if there is literally nothing else in your life which can put a smile on your face, you need to speak to someone. Seriously, it's not healthy (as mentioned before, my personal solace isn't much better but I've recently realised that it can't make all my problems disappear) and you need to stop hiding your head in the sand.

P.S. As alluded to above, anyone who thinks that $100k is not a lot of money is either part of the 1% or too young to understand the value of money and have their parents buy them everything they want. In the UK, that's only (only, hah!) the equivalent of ~65k, or 4 years wages, before tax, before rent, before utilities and other bills. I don't know anyone (as in that I've met, not including film stars, professional athletes, multinational CEO's etc.) who could save that amount in less than 10 years.
#150MettanAtemPosted 4/19/2013 2:38:20 AM
The money amounts in these theoretical situations are always nine zeroes too low.