This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Espeon can be male or female; it's not always a her, damn it!

#101Meta289Posted 4/20/2013 3:08:55 PM
Concerning Zekrom and Reshiram, if they're based on Yin and Yang respectively, then Zekrom would actually be the female one, and Reshiram the male one.

Also, there's a major amount of misuse of the word "gender" in this topic.
---
http://meta289.deviantart.com/#/d4j1eby
Fact: Things are so much better when taken at face value.
#102LexifoxPosted 4/20/2013 3:15:15 PM
Meta289 posted...
Concerning Zekrom and Reshiram, if they're based on Yin and Yang respectively, then Zekrom would actually be the female one, and Reshiram the male one.

Also, there's a major amount of misuse of the word "gender" in this topic.

This would be true, but they also made Reshiram intentionally more feminine while Zekrom was intentionally meant to look more masculine.

My guess is that they wanted to avoid making one version a "boy" version while the other would be thought of as a "girl" version, since the fanbase is primarily male and it would affect sales.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#103DestinyKnotPosted 4/20/2013 3:16:19 PM
I always refer to Clefairy, Audino, Roselia, and Buneary as female..it's just habit. o_O;
I realize all those mentioned above can also be male, but..I don't know. DX
#104MagikarpRulesPosted 4/20/2013 3:23:22 PM
I can understand people referrig to the likes of Gothita family, Buneary, Lopunny, Roselia family, Clefairy family, Jigglypuff family, Luvdisc, Audino and Alomomola as female, due to either design or gender ratio.

But, can someone explain me how are Espeon or Glaceon more feminine? Because, you know, being cat-like just doesn't make sense for calling Espeon a "she". I'm not telling you to stop doing it, I'd really want to know why some people think Espeon and Glaceon are feminine. Because as it stands, it seems to be stereotypes at play to me.
#105ReachOutToTruthPosted 4/20/2013 3:56:30 PM
First of all, some of you people take this stuff WAY too seriously. For the record, though:

Through life, people will begin to associate certain traits with either masculinity, femininity, etc. When identifying something, then, it stands to reason they will use those traits to extrapolate a sex or gender, regardless of whether or not it has been defined.

The reason, particularly, that people will do this with Pokémon, is because they don't see Pokémon as animals. They see them as characters. Through their OWN experiences with the franchise, they have projected a number of ideas onto these characters, and if they're not the type to really care about gender-sensitivity when it comes to fictional creatures, they'll let those ideas slip out when using gender pronouns in discussion.

Let's take Jolteon as an example. In my perception, Jolteon is male. This is because whenever I think of Jolteon, I think of the various portrayals of Jolteon that have seemed male. Indeed, Jolteons, "JOLT!" cry in Puzzle League certainly doesn't sound very feminine.

Of course, Surge's Jolteon could BE male, which would lead to the male voice. But after playing Pokémon Puzzle League so much, that's the identity I've associated with Jolteon. "Jolteon" is no longer some random species of a fictional creature, a particular portrayal of Jolteon has endeared itself to me and now I think of "Jolteon" as character with several defining traits.

The inverse is also true. I don't see many Finneons, either in the game or in other media. To me, Finneon has no character, as I have not used one, nor have I dealt with them often, so it could not be characterized, so I will probably refer to Finneons with "it".

TL;DR: Referring to a Pokémon as a specific gender, regardless of ratios, is simply the projections of the speaker of their own personal experiences with that Pokémon. There's no need to be upset or offended by it.
---
<3 and (/|\) !
http://i.imgur.com/khPxrAW.png
#106The_Sol_BladerPosted 4/20/2013 4:03:12 PM
There's no need to be upset or offended by it.

I honestly find hilarious that there's people that do
---
R - Official Matador of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board - Official Stahl of the FE: Awakening board
#107Ari917Posted 4/20/2013 4:07:20 PM(edited)
Wow, this topic blew up, shouldn't be surprised since it's a gender stereotype related one and that always brings up the count.

ReachOutToTruth posted...
First of all, some of you people take this stuff WAY too seriously. For the record, though:

Through life, people will begin to associate certain traits with either masculinity, femininity, etc. When identifying something, then, it stands to reason they will use those traits to extrapolate a sex or gender, regardless of whether or not it has been defined.

The reason, particularly, that people will do this with Pokémon, is because they don't see Pokémon as animals. They see them as characters. Through their OWN experiences with the franchise, they have projected a number of ideas onto these characters, and if they're not the type to really care about gender-sensitivity when it comes to fictional creatures, they'll let those ideas slip out when using gender pronouns in discussion.

Let's take Jolteon as an example. In my perception, Jolteon is male. This is because whenever I think of Jolteon, I think of the various portrayals of Jolteon that have seemed male. Indeed, Jolteons, "JOLT!" cry in Puzzle League certainly doesn't sound very feminine.

Of course, Surge's Jolteon could BE male, which would lead to the male voice. But after playing Pokémon Puzzle League so much, that's the identity I've associated with Jolteon. "Jolteon" is no longer some random species of a fictional creature, a particular portrayal of Jolteon has endeared itself to me and now I think of "Jolteon" as character with several defining traits.

The inverse is also true. I don't see many Finneons, either in the game or in other media. To me, Finneon has no character, as I have not used one, nor have I dealt with them often, so it could not be characterized, so I will probably refer to Finneons with "it".

TL;DR: Referring to a Pokémon as a specific gender, regardless of ratios, is simply the projections of the speaker of their own personal experiences with that Pokémon. There's no need to be upset or offended by it.

Very well said, I agree completely and you've done a fantastic job of explaining yourself.

MagikarpRules posted...
I can understand people referrig to the likes of Gothita family, Buneary, Lopunny, Roselia family, Clefairy family, Jigglypuff family, Luvdisc, Audino and Alomomola as female, due to either design or gender ratio.

But, can someone explain me how are Espeon or Glaceon more feminine? Because, you know, being cat-like just doesn't make sense for calling Espeon a "she". I'm not telling you to stop doing it, I'd really want to know why some people think Espeon and Glaceon are feminine. Because as it stands, it seems to be stereotypes at play to me.

Slender figure, graceful movements, portrayed with rather gentle personas, usually given feminine voices in the anime, etc. Basically traits people usually associate with females.
---
Official Wyvern Lord of the Awakening Board
#108Twilight_SonataPosted 4/20/2013 11:58:22 PM(edited)
Mewtwo_soul posted...
Like I said before you may not think like that, but it's not beyond belief others do... It's just a perception reference. It's no different than an opinion in such a case, considering the key concept of perception.

Just because somebody believe something, perceives something, or has an opinion does not mean that they should be respected for it or that they should not be corrected if they are wrong.
(EDIT: Also, I accept and appreciate your apology. Thank you.)

ReachOutToTruth posted...
First of all, some of you people take this stuff WAY too seriously.

This is the topic. If you don't like it, then get out.

And doing so can easily lead then to be wrong, in which case they should be corrected.

There's no need to be upset or offended by it.

It's not about being upset or offended, and characterizing the conversation that way is missing the point. It's just about correcting people who are wrong. It is that simple. I'm not upset or "offended" by your referring to all Jolteon as generally male, but I'm still going to correct you, because you're wrong.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#109fox444fPosted 4/21/2013 12:02:18 AM
I usually refer to vulpix and ninetales as females. They have a 75% chance of being female and it's just a habit.
---
Official Vulpix of the Pokemon X and Y boards.
Official Member and Vulpix of The Legends Clan/Team Infinity
#110pokemon2poker(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 12:06:15 AM
Hmmmm
---
Dick Tracy