This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have sad news for fans of Tropius (myself included)...

#11ColtCababaPosted 4/19/2013 1:36:48 PM
I laughed when I saw the topic name and it said "fans of Tropius".

XD
---
It was the bandits! It-it wasn't me! It was the one-armed man!
I have located an area of solitude to make of my own! No one can get me now!
#12Rat_a_tatPosted 4/19/2013 1:40:09 PM
Brontosaurus / Apatosaurus kinda existed as synonyms for years, but sometime during the 90s the paleontology community threw up their hands and called an end to it.

I still remember early Land Before Time materials referring to Littlefoot as a "brontosaurus", then magically retconning him into an "apatosaurus" a few films down the line. Still just just a "longneck" to everyone else, though, so no big.
---
"Official" furry liaison to GameFAQs.
#13jayman7Posted 4/19/2013 1:47:18 PM(edited)
Rat_a_tat posted...
Brontosaurus / Apatosaurus kinda existed as synonyms for years, but sometime during the 90s the paleontology community threw up their hands and called an end to it.

I still remember early Land Before Time materials referring to Littlefoot as a "brontosaurus", then magically retconning him into an "apatosaurus" a few films down the line. Still just just a "longneck" to everyone else, though, so no big.

'90s nothing. It happened at the beginning of the 20th century, as I previously stated.

"Brontosaurus" became the popular name and has persisted in culture since, but the paleontological community stopped using it over a century ago. They didn't suddenly "throw up their hands" in the '90s.

And I'd like to amend what I said: actually, it was just the skeleton in one museum that was an Apatosaurus with the wrong head, which was in 1905 - but it was still in 1903 that it was determined that brontosaurus and Apatosaurus were, in fact, the same dinosaur, and the name Apatosaurus was around first, so it took precedence (as is custom in the scientific community).
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#14LexifoxPosted 4/19/2013 1:47:48 PM
It's going to suck when you guys find out about the triceratops.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#15CakeOfLiesPosted 4/19/2013 1:51:41 PM
ColtCababa posted...
I laughed when I saw the topic name and it said "fans of Tropius".

XD

You shut your filthy mouth.
Tropius is among Bibarel, Samurott, and Gyarados as one of the greatest HM slaves ever created!
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Stunfisk is the epitome of monstrous majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.
#16Human-BeanPosted 4/19/2013 1:52:28 PM
CakeOfLies posted...
The_Sol_Blader posted...
Your life is a cake.

Delicious cake?

Yes.

A deceitful cake.
---
The bean represents the poop; one of the greatests substances created by men. ~stargazer64
#17jayman7Posted 4/19/2013 2:01:51 PM(edited)
Lexifox posted...
It's going to suck when you guys find out about the triceratops.

The Triceratops thing was actually nothing at all.

To explain: some people came forward with the idea that Triceratops was, in fact, a juvenile Torosaurus, and if true, that means the Torosaurus name would have to be rejected like brontosaurus was (the name "Triceratops" was around first) - but some people caught on to the debate and misinterpreted it, saying Triceratops would be the rejected one.

However, after examining the evidence, most of the scientific community rejected it; most notably, juvenile Torosaurus skeletons have been found - and they're different from Triceratops skeletons.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#183PiesAndAForkPosted 4/19/2013 1:58:56 PM
jayman7 posted...
before anyone on this board was born. No, really: 1903.

Speak for yourself you whippersnapper
---
"I could care less" means you care right now.
The proper phrase is "I couldn't care less."
#19CharizardFirePosted 4/19/2013 2:01:18 PM
dang, i reall am behind..... heres a pic for you guys' troubles.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/335/6/0/grotesque_pokemon___tropius_by_rat_mayiq-d3410jc.jpg

That's not grotesque.
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif
#20pokemonfreak97Posted 4/19/2013 2:26:30 PM
VegantoKeens posted...
**** on my childhood, why don't you?

Raptors are chickens, Brontosaurus didn't exist, damn archaeologists.

http://xkcd.com/1104/

About raptors, they are still VERY dangerous.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4