This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm kinda hoping there is a new type. Maybe it can balance out Dragon types.

#21The Eternal EvilPosted 4/19/2013 10:42:43 PM
Off the top of your head name the most common attack elements in the game?

Give up?

Fighting Fire Dragon Ice Rock.

Those are the ones that instantly come to my mind in my competitive thought Process.

Ok Now name the most defensive Pokemon Elements.

Water Ground Dragon Steel Dark.

Again these instantly come to my mind, I can't tell you for certain how right I am or not, but this is how I feel thinking on a competitive level.

If you want to bring Balance to the game, the two things I just mentioned, would have to be hugely variant for every individual that answers. If all our lists look close to the same, or even identical then balance has not been made yet, and adding a new type can only accomplish one thing, adding it to one of these two lists.

A new type will not make bug more effective unless it makes bug more effective to it. A new type will not make Poison more effective. Or Ghost type more effective, or Dark attacks necessarily stronger outside of the things they are designed to be strong against. It won't make most lightning types less lackluster. Or flying all but destroyed by most things type coverage. Psychic had it's day, but now it is simply good, and not super strong. It won't make Grass attacks sparkle, and Normal attacks will simply always have a place for neutrality.

If you want balance, a new type can not add balance, it can only change balance. Think back to what Dark and Steel did? Did it add balance? Or shift the balance away from Psychic type?

Bug, Dark, Ghost, Poison Flying, Lightning, Normal, Grass.

We have Over 600 pokemon, name at least 5 Pokemon for each type I just listed that can at least take a stand competitively that are not also those super rare pokemon that you can only get at events, (Which also needs to be changed)

If balance is to be had, the only thing adding a new type will do is to shift the balance. The fact that Pokemon is as balanced as it is now is actually a testament to how good Gamefreak is at balance as it has over 600 monsters to strike some balances with, and you can still say there are about 100 Pokemon that work relatively well in the competitive scene.
---
One Trainer to rule them all, One Trainer to find them,
One Trainer to catch them all and in the Pokeball bind them. Legend of Legacy.
#22Mewtwo_soulPosted 4/19/2013 10:49:00 PM(edited)
zerokandery posted...
We really need a shake up, a new type, definitely, yes.
slight changes in the chart to help types like poison and ice won't do much, we need a new type!

Slight changes? Adding a new type would only make buffing a type that needs it almost useless.

Let's say you add Alien type, with a weakness to Grass, Bug, Ice, and Poison.

K?

Alright.

Grass will still have MASSIVE resistances, bug will still have many types with terrible stats and completely damn unusable. (Beedrill), and Ice types along with most bugs will still fear Stealth Rock, and there's a possibility new Stealth moves could be added at any time. (Just wait until Stealth Ice/Water comes into play, oh dear god)

Edit:

Poison will still have to fear EQ, which is one of the most common attack moves ever made. Learned by nearly as many Pokemon as those that learn Toxic.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#23Mewtwo_soulPosted 4/19/2013 10:45:43 PM
The Eternal Evil posted...
Off the top of your head name the most common attack elements in the game?

Give up?

Fighting Fire Dragon Ice Rock.

Those are the ones that instantly come to my mind in my competitive thought Process.

Ok Now name the most defensive Pokemon Elements.

Water Ground Dragon Steel Dark.

Again these instantly come to my mind, I can't tell you for certain how right I am or not, but this is how I feel thinking on a competitive level.

If you want to bring Balance to the game, the two things I just mentioned, would have to be hugely variant for every individual that answers. If all our lists look close to the same, or even identical then balance has not been made yet, and adding a new type can only accomplish one thing, adding it to one of these two lists.

A new type will not make bug more effective unless it makes bug more effective to it. A new type will not make Poison more effective. Or Ghost type more effective, or Dark attacks necessarily stronger outside of the things they are designed to be strong against. It won't make most lightning types less lackluster. Or flying all but destroyed by most things type coverage. Psychic had it's day, but now it is simply good, and not super strong. It won't make Grass attacks sparkle, and Normal attacks will simply always have a place for neutrality.

If you want balance, a new type can not add balance, it can only change balance. Think back to what Dark and Steel did? Did it add balance? Or shift the balance away from Psychic type?

Bug, Dark, Ghost, Poison Flying, Lightning, Normal, Grass.

We have Over 600 pokemon, name at least 5 Pokemon for each type I just listed that can at least take a stand competitively that are not also those super rare pokemon that you can only get at events, (Which also needs to be changed)

If balance is to be had, the only thing adding a new type will do is to shift the balance. The fact that Pokemon is as balanced as it is now is actually a testament to how good Gamefreak is at balance as it has over 600 monsters to strike some balances with, and you can still say there are about 100 Pokemon that work relatively well in the competitive scene.

I agree completely, except you forgot Water in common attacking type. (Rainy Day teams are massively used for a reason)
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#24The Eternal EvilPosted 4/19/2013 10:50:31 PM
Like I said they were the first that came to my mind. I thought water as defensive and not as offensive. Water does not have many stand alone Water attacks that are particularly great outside of the rain however which makes it a less common attacking type outside of rain using teams.
---
#25Mewtwo_soulPosted 4/19/2013 10:51:52 PM
Like I said they were the first that came to my mind. I thought water as defensive and not as offensive. Water does not have many stand alone Water attacks that are particularly great outside of the rain however which makes it a less common attacking type outside of rain using teams.

Oh it's alright, and again I agree. I just mentioned it due to RD teams which are considered the most used team ever pretty much, especially of the weather teams.
---
#26The Eternal EvilPosted 4/19/2013 10:58:44 PM
Oh Don't get me wrong I've seen it especially in todays tournament for Doubles.

I like how they gave us Pokemon that are lackluster like Politoed and Ninetails and gave them something that gives them that little oomph they needed.

I hate that Sandstorm does so little of all the elemental additions. It should give never miss status to some moves (Though which I have no idea)
---
#27Mewtwo_soulPosted 4/19/2013 11:04:55 PM(edited)
Oh Don't get me wrong I've seen it especially in todays tournament for Doubles.

I like how they gave us Pokemon that are lackluster like Politoed and Ninetails and gave them something that gives them that little oomph they needed.

I hate that Sandstorm does so little of all the elemental additions. It should give never miss status to some moves (Though which I have no idea)

Exactly, fully agreed. Little buffs like that to crappier Pokemon is something they need to do for low stat Pokemon especially. (Or hell, give em new forms that boost them up with cool move pools or something, with DLC coming as a possibility maybe it'll happen this gen)

On Sandstorm, I don't know I think Hail is worse off, sure blizzard never misses, but IIRC doesn't Sandstorm add a boost to DF/SPDF to Rock types in Sand? (Maybe Ground types and Steel types too?)

Edit: Just checked it boosts SPDF for Rock types, also interesting is Solar Beam loses 60 BP during Sandstorm, along with some other hilarious (yet nearly pointless additions, aside from Sand Veil ability) Also got to give that TTar has it along with Hippo line.
---
#28TherianReturnsPosted 4/19/2013 11:11:02 PM
>people in this topic

Time well spent.
---
I shook hands with Pope Francis. I am enlightenment. I am also the only true Pokemon fan.
#29The Eternal EvilPosted 4/19/2013 11:12:34 PM
It's more like Sandstorm, and Hail, feel like they had the right idea, but are half an element a piece.

Now if we did something like increase Defense, Special Defense, and 10% evasion to all Pokemon that are immune to the effects of sandstorm, and their additional abilities add to that, and do something similar for snowstorm, perhaps increase the chance of freeze status on ice moves, in lieu of evasion/ All of a sudden Rain and sun become offensive, and Sand and Snow become Defensive with a small damage each turn for those not immune to it's effect.

We can still give the snow it's blizzard though.
---
#30Mewtwo_soulPosted 4/19/2013 11:13:21 PM
TherianReturns posted...
>people in this topic

Time well spent.

>TherianReturns Saying stupid things on a game message board which is intended for game discussion

Therian Returns Saying something intelligent in general in this topic.
---