This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rhyperior's design.

#71sonicfanaticjtbPosted 4/22/2013 3:19:38 AM
LenneValkirye posted...

And people have the nerve to say that Gen 1 designs were lazy. Are you freaking serious?

Ditto. Dots for eyes, line for a mouth. A pink blob that has less detail then Kirby

Just sayin'. <_<
---
Krystal and Phoenix Wright for Smash 4!
... Please, Sakurai?
#72NessEggmanPosted 4/22/2013 4:19:22 AM
sonicfanaticjtb posted...
But I can't say that it's a bad design since if it were me, I'd probably just give Rhydon a super mushroom and call it a day.

I agree with this.

I think there's a big difference between saying "I don't like this." and saying "This is bad."

In the first, you're just saying your personal opinion on it. In the second, you're saying that you are capable of judging the quantifiable properties... in that case, you would need to indeed be some kind of professional (designer) or be able to create things of equal or better value (amateur designer), or at least have some kind of vast knowledge of their creation and impact on society (professional critic). Stuff like that.

I can't stand when people say this either way -- I don't like when people say "This is a good movie!" simply because they like a movie.

I guess it's because I make a point between the two, and it's important to me. For example, as a musician myself, there are musicians I recognize as being very skilled, but I personally don't like their style or sound or something. So I would never say "That person is a bad musician/artist." Because they are not. They are good. I may hate them and everything about them, but they are still good. And there are things I absolutely love that I think are bad. I love some Japanese idol groups and their music, even though they are terrible singers. I don't ever say "They are great artists" or something like that. I know they are bad. But I still love them and enjoy listening to and following their music.

It's the same with design, and anything really. I can't stand when people say "This is good/bad" when they have no authority. Just say "I like/don't like this."

I kinda realize this is a pet peeve, though, so I never call people out on it. I know that most people when they say "This design is good/bad" they are just using that as a way to say they like/dislike it... they're not trying to say they objectively can judge designs (though plenty of people are claiming that... but you really can't tell who is and who isn't, so I just ignore it and give everyone the benefit of the doubt).

In this case, the person didn't ever say the design was objectively bad. They just said it was ugly, which, to me, is a subjective comment no matter what.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
#73NessEggmanPosted 4/22/2013 4:40:55 AM
LenneValkirye posted...
Another problem with almost all the Gen 4 evolution is that most of them took the previous stage and made it fatter.

Magnezone is fatter than Magneton.

It's a compeltely different shape and resembles a UFO and put the magnets and stuff together in a different way than Magnemite/ton. Compare to Magneton, a gen 1 design, which is just Magnemite copied/pasted twice next to itself...

Mamoswine is fatter than Piloswine.

It has a different body structure and visible eyes. Piloswine is really just an enlarged Swinub... Mamoswine differs from Piloswine way more than Piloswine differs from Swinub.

Electivire is fatter than Electabuzz.

It's actually a little thinner, looking at Sugimori's art. Buffer, but not fatter. It has some details added to it, and the face is very different. Overall it looks a lot like Electabuzz, but... isn't this true for all Pokemon evolutions in all gens...? I mean, besides a select few, evolutions are generally just bigger or tougher looking versions of their preevo.

Magmortar is fatter than Magmar.

Along with having a different body structure, especially its head and arms. The face looks very different, too... less beaky and more blackfacey lol. Kinda reminds me of Oil Man from Mega Man.

Togekiss is fatter than Togetic.

They are totally different shapes! Togetic looks like a dodo bird or something, but Togetic has huge wings and looks like a flying egg or something. I mean, if you're going to say one looks bad, you have to say all three in this line look bad, not just the last one... It's not any more or less "lazy" than the ones before it.

Probopass is fatter than Nosepass.

Seriously? It kept the giant nose but the shape changed, it now has a hat, totally different eyes, a mustache, and the mininoses. Not to mention it's based on a different type of moai statue than Nosepass was, but still kept with that same theme. And the mustache and mininoses are explained in an interesting way. It also gained Steel typing as it gained more magnetism and control over that magnetism... Probopass is probably one of the most creative and thoughtful (albeit disliked) designs in all of Pokemon.

Dusknoir is fatter than Dusclops.

Again, compare how Dusknoir looks compared to Dusclops. Then compare other Pokemon evolutions... the change in appearance is greater! It lost its feet, has markings that resemble a face on it, has a nail on its head, has a different looking "face," etc.!

Honchkrow is fatter than Murkrow.

Again, plenty of details are different. It's not just fatter.

Rhyperior is fatter than Rhydon.

Read this thread. People hate it because it's DIFFERENT than Rhydon, not because it looks the same but fatter!

And people have the nerve to say that Gen 1 designs were lazy. Are you freaking serious?

Voltorb is a circle with eyes on it.
Electrode is a circle with eyes on it.
Magnemite is a circle with eyes and magnets on it.
Magneton is copy/paste Magnemite.
Diglet is a curve with lines and nose on it.
Dugtrio is copy/paste Diglet with angry face.
Jigglypuff is a circle with eyes and nubs on it.
Wigglytuff is fatter than Jigglypuff.
Clefable is fatter than Clefairy.
Muk is a squiggle with eyes and mouth.
Muk is fatter than Grimer.
Ditto is a squiggle with dots and a line on it.
Poliwhirl and Poliwrath look almost identical. They didn't even bother with "fatter" they just gave one angry eyes.
ETC ETC ETC.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
#74faruwayPosted 4/22/2013 5:09:03 AM
Think positive, everyone. I'm glad that Rhydon gets an evolution into Rhyperior, if it didn't, then its line became less well known by new pokemon fans of the future generation. It looks badass and menacing in appearance and before Gen V, Rock Wrecker is Rhyperior's ridiculously but OP signature move. It's a great move but there's a downside to it.
---
Official GilgaPrishe's Spicy Hot Taco Buddy of Dissidia 012 Duodecim Final Fantasy Board
WhiteFC: 2881 6954 3015, White2FC: 3740 8553 3571
#75LenneValkiryePosted 4/22/2013 10:31:18 AM
I'm not sure you realize that you couldn't have complex designs in a Gameboy game.
Venusaur is relatively complex compared to most pokemon and its RBY sprite is a complete disaster.
Also, "simple design" doesn't equal "bad design" or even "lazy".

What IS lazy is applying the same concept to a multitude of pokemon - which is exactly what happened with most Gen 4 evolutions when they chose to make them overweight.
#76NeoFalconHavokPosted 4/22/2013 10:55:42 AM
Rhyhorn and Rhydon were pokemon that no one cared about. Yet it got an evo over Jynx for the Thunder, Fire, and Ice trio to be complete.

But they figured that Gardevoir was more popular, so they made her more manish than usual.
---
"If this guy has a problem with GameFaqs users that like Nintendo games, he can kiss my ass."
LMFAO
#77kirbydude385Posted 4/22/2013 11:04:07 AM
I've always liked Rhyperior and I think it gets wayyyy too much hate. It's in my Top 3 Sinnoh evolutions with Froslass and Mamoswine.

GATTJT posted...
*jumps in*

Rhyperior's design is horrible, worse than Lickilicky's.

*jumps out*

hell. no. lickilicky is the worst thing to come out of gen 4
---
Official Manectric and Creator of the B/W, BW2, and XY Boards Clan
Official Dawn of the BW2 Boards
Khaini: ImSooBipolar - 14x Luminous
#78dwdwdw6Posted 4/22/2013 11:35:54 AM
LenneValkirye posted...
I'm not sure you realize that you couldn't have complex designs in a Gameboy game.
Venusaur is relatively complex compared to most pokemon and its RBY sprite is a complete disaster.

What IS lazy is applying the same concept to a multitude of pokemon - which is exactly what happened with most Gen 4 evolutions when they chose to make them overweight.

Haha this guy. Made that dumb post about "fatness" and now this.
#79DragonDeoxysPosted 4/23/2013 8:44:41 AM
LenneValkirye posted...

We can also say that using a similar design concept is not always a bad thing or even lazy. Even so, your explanation of "they just got fatter" is pretty much inaccurate as well and didn't apply to many of the evos that you mention.
A lot of pokemon get bigger after evolution so it's natural to see their size increased. Blastoise is another pokemon that follows a similar pattern like Magmortar.
---
Black FC: 4126 5167 3147
Black 2 FC: 0562 5475 2074