This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Version Mascotts

#1person_pitchPosted 4/21/2013 1:09:28 PM
In your opinion, was changing the version mascotts from starters to legendaries a good idea? Do you think it created more hype for the games, or do you think the surprise of seeing the legendaries for the first time in game added a certain mystique and value to the game in it's own right?
#2MrTriggerKrazyPosted 4/21/2013 1:10:16 PM
Haven't the mascots always been legendaries since gen 2?
---
PSN: KhaosKrazy---
Official Dante of the PSASBR board
#3Strain42Posted 4/21/2013 1:11:53 PM
I think so. I feel like with the starters you either leave one out, or you over-emphasize one. Either way it doesn't feel balanced or fair (like if Gen 2 had been Gold: Meganium, Silver: Feraligatr and Crystal: Typhlosion, I woulda been like "what makes Typhlosion so special?")

Having the legendaries also lets the narrative get mixed up a bit, of course it's always a small change, but it's kinda nice.

Overall I think yes, legendary mascots work better than starters.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#4TruePowerSeekerPosted 4/21/2013 1:12:00 PM
The only game without legendaries on the cover were Gen 1 games. What would they put on the game then? Just both games having Mewtwo on the cover?
---
http://tinyurl.com/ck8fqvn
#5person_pitch(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 1:14:47 PM
TruePowerSeeker posted...
The only game without legendaries on the cover were Gen 1 games. What would they put on the game then? Just both games having Mewtwo on the cover?

Mewtwo wasn't the only legendary, genius.
#6person_pitch(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 1:15:14 PM
MrTriggerKrazy posted...
Haven't the mascots always been legendaries since gen 2?

Yes
#7XazealPosted 4/21/2013 1:16:20 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to the version mascots not being legendaries, but unless they released three versions at once, using starter evolutions again would feel kind of strange.

I guess if they made some "special" pokemon that weren't legendaries but not exactly standard either (Zoroark, Volcarona, Rotom) then it could work.
---
Official Mienshao of the Pokemon X Board
#8Meta289Posted 4/21/2013 1:17:56 PM
It's hard to have starters as the mascots now due to the titles of the games. Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise worked as mascots because the games were Green, Red, and Blue. The mascots are supposed to match the color or theme of the title.
---
http://meta289.deviantart.com/#/d4j1eby
Fact: Things are so much better when taken at face value.
#9person_pitch(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 1:19:27 PM
Strain42 posted...
I think so. I feel like with the starters you either leave one out, or you over-emphasize one. Either way it doesn't feel balanced or fair (like if Gen 2 had been Gold: Meganium, Silver: Feraligatr and Crystal: Typhlosion, I woulda been like "what makes Typhlosion so special?")

Having the legendaries also lets the narrative get mixed up a bit, of course it's always a small change, but it's kinda nice.

Overall I think yes, legendary mascots work better than starters.

That is true, and they do usually release a third game, and in the case of gold and silver, crystal being suicune didn't make much sense compared to lugia and ho-oh. Only until Gen 3 did we get 3 solid legendaries (not counting Mew, Celebi-although that would have made more sense than suicune, and the like). I'm more inclined to go with starters on the boxes, but obviously nintendo knows what they're doing. I just remember hearing about Mewtwo in the cave and having no idea what it looked like, and seeing that for the first time was a pretty memorable experience.
#10MrTriggerKrazyPosted 4/21/2013 1:19:54 PM
Meta289 posted...
It's hard to have starters as the mascots now due to the titles of the games. Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise worked as mascots because the games were Green, Red, and Blue. The mascots are supposed to match the color or theme of the title.

I thought it was bad when they put the alphabet in math. Now they're putting it in the color spectrum?
---
PSN: KhaosKrazy---
Official Dante of the PSASBR board