This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Event Pokemon.

#1BurningFlareXPosted 4/21/2013 2:59:54 PM
This is getting worse as time goes. We first only had Mew, then Celebi, then it kept getting worse and worse with the addition of multiple event Legendaries and in-game events that require you to have an event Legendary. It doesn't help that Gen 5 added the highest amount of event Legendaries. The ridiculously high number of unobtainable Pokemon is really starting to get repulsive to me. What's the point of having tons of Pokemon if you can't obtain around half of them with in-game means??
---
I hate everything.
#2gamester_12345Posted 4/21/2013 3:21:40 PM
Personally my main complaint about Event Legends is that some of them are either so common or so rare from countless means, sometimes even by the country themselves.

Like the Arceus event was never publicly released, presumably because of the original Japanese DP glitch despite not being able to leave its room if you saved inside there...

Mew was pretty much Japan-only before Gen IV, either because its event wasn't released, or it was limited to something like e-Cards, though you can get that from Ranch..

Celebi finally gets an event...near the end of Generation IV, even if you managed to "catch 'em all" they'll just release another generation, this is barring the American/Japanese Colosseum bonus disc, Europeans on the other hand got Jirachi on Channel but the Colosseum bonus simply didn't exist, the closest we got was Pokemon Box with the Gamecube Colosseum pack.....Box could also be obtained from the Stars Catalog too.

Deoxys and Shaymin can be from Guardian Signs, Darkrai from Shadows of Almia...Manaphy is pretty much from all the Ranger games, in some respects atleast the Gen V Event Legends has been reasonable so far, only one that seems weird is Meloetta since that one is real life whereas Genesect and (possibly) Keldeo is from WiFi...
---
RSN: Plucky9, Total: 2373
KoL: Plucky, currently a Avatar of Jarlsberg
#3Strain42Posted 4/21/2013 3:24:48 PM
I don't mind it when they just do the wi-fi events that you can get from anywhere.

I remember when I was growing up and I heard about these events where you could go to them and they would trade a Mew or a Celebi to you or something, I was always bummed out, because I grew up in Hawaii and these events never came to where I lived.

But now we live in an age where thanks to wi-fi, I've gotten rare Pokemon from the comfort of my toilet.

Every now and then I'll have to drive to GameStop or something, and I'm not super fond of those, and I feel bad for the people who can't get those ones.

But I don't really hate the concept of the event Pokemon as a whole since now they're a lot more accessible.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#4Obeyy00Posted 4/21/2013 3:25:58 PM
i believe that's what trading is for.
#5pokemonfreak97Posted 4/21/2013 3:31:21 PM
Half? Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect. That's 13/649 = 2%. If you only include the ones you can't get with My Pokémon Ranch and Pokémon Ranger (the original), then you have Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect. There was a Keldeo event a month or two ago, so scratch him off the list, and you're left with 9/649 = 1.38%.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#6MagikarpRulesPosted 4/21/2013 3:38:46 PM
In all honesty, I agree with Strain42. If they release them via Wi-Fi, it's easier to get them now that it was up to Gen 4. I got all Pokemon I couldn't get in-game (sans the last 3 of the Dex) by trading anyway.
#7stranksyPosted 4/21/2013 4:00:10 PM
Honestly, the notion of event pokemon is ridiculous. There should be an in-game, story-based reason to catch any legendaries from a given generation - the fact that you're just handed a pokemon, without having to try to catch it at all, is absurd, and goes against the spirit of the game.
If the creators can't think of a reason that the region a game takes place in can contain a pokemon, it shouldn't be released. If the creators can't think of a story for a legendary pokemon to be built up by, it shouldn't exist. It's really that simple.
---
When life's really getting you down, take solace in the fact that you're going to die.
#8Strain42Posted 4/21/2013 4:02:03 PM
stranksy posted...
Honestly, the notion of event pokemon is ridiculous. There should be an in-game, story-based reason to catch any legendaries from a given generation - the fact that you're just handed a pokemon, without having to try to catch it at all, is absurd, and goes against the spirit of the game.
If the creators can't think of a reason that the region a game takes place in can contain a pokemon, it shouldn't be released. If the creators can't think of a story for a legendary pokemon to be built up by, it shouldn't exist. It's really that simple.

Serious question here. What were your thoughts on the Victini event then? Rather than giving you the Pokemon they just give you the item that leads to the quest where you go and catch it?
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#9MagikarpRulesPosted 4/21/2013 4:03:15 PM
stranksy posted...

Well, the thing is, it's their game, so they get to decide wether a legendary has any backstory or not, or if it impacts or not the main story. They have been doing it for the whole 5 generations, and I don't think that's gonna chang any time soon.
#10Strain42Posted 4/21/2013 4:07:00 PM
I'm actually not a fan of Legendary Pokemon battles being part of the story. I prefer them as sidequests that the players can do at their own leisure.

Emerald did a great job of this by making the legendaries a really big part of the story but never forcing the player into battle with any of them (BW2 also did a pretty good job with this)

But like when I played HGSS and found out that they changed it so I wasn't allowed to go fight the Elite 4 until after I fought the respective bird...that kinda annoyed me.
---