This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I hope there's a way of screening a Pokemon before you catch them...

#1levyjl1988Posted 4/21/2013 5:52:07 PM
Ever since GameFreak made Pokemon more accessible by gameplay mechanics such as:

-Making paths intended for Trainers to bike around to hatch eggs easier.
-Have doctors standby locations where trainers can talk to them to get their Pokemon party healed.
-TM's can never be wasted.
-Pokemon Flamebody ability cuts steps to hatch an egg.
-Pokemon with synchronize ability has a % chance of giving the same nature.
etc...

I think it would be nice if something can be done about hatching Pokemon or catching them.
Like the ability to screen a Pokemon stats via an item tool. This way it can cut down on the monotony of checking, soft reseting, etc. Doing this method feels like a chore and should be improved upon. I can understand that it's all part of the hunt or meta game or what you call it. But it seems that there is a mixed message when playing these games.

Things about raising Pokemon are now confounded to pure optimization. It feels strange enough to release hundreds of newly hatched Pokemon because they didn't meet your quota. It seems like you're just as bad of a trainer to that of Spartans who would throw their young off a cliff because of the tiniest deformity.

Catching and then releasing because it won't perform to ones expectations kind of ruin the Pokemon experience.

If Pokemon could be screen beforehand, it would definielty cut down on the chore like aspect that has plagued Pokemon ever since. Too much luck based on sudden Pokemon appearances.

The days where I suddenly would be confronted by a legendary dog was a day of excitement. Now being old it seems like it's expected, or the thrill just isn't there. It's seeing a Raikou, oh joy, catch, check it's stats, nope, soft reset, etc.

Tl;DR: Screening Pokemon before catching would cut down on the chore like aspects of Pokemon.
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/
#2CakeOfLiesPosted 4/21/2013 6:19:01 PM
I agree.
I'm tired of SRing all day to try to get a Modest Mewtwo. Let me just see his Nature without having to catch him first.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Stunfisk is the epitome of monstrous majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.
#3moneyman82Posted 4/21/2013 6:58:13 PM(edited)
This goes against the 4th Generation Anime's entire moral message. Can anyone think of a certain antagonist that checked his Pokemon's stats?
---
''If what moneyman said wasn't true, and easily verified by anyone with access to a search engine, I would definitely agree with you. But it is, so I don't.''
#4CakeOfLiesPosted 4/21/2013 6:59:47 PM
moneyman82 posted...
This goes against the 4th Generation Anime's entire moral message. Can anyone think of a certain antagonist that checked his Pokemon's stats?

Dude, everyone that plays remotely competitively checks their Pokemon's stats.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Stunfisk is the epitome of monstrous majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.
#5moneyman82Posted 4/21/2013 7:07:39 PM(edited)
CakeOfLies posted...
moneyman82 posted...

Dude, everyone that plays remotely competitively checks their Pokemon's stats.

I never said they didn't. I've played competitively for nearly six years myself. My point is that the creators of Pokemon have consistently portrayed stat-checking in a negative manner, and thus I do not think that the topic creator's idea is a viable option.
---
''If what moneyman said wasn't true, and easily verified by anyone with access to a search engine, I would definitely agree with you. But it is, so I don't.''
#6moneyman82Posted 4/22/2013 9:24:39 AM
This topic's a pretty interesting concept, I'd like to read more perspectives on it.

A free bump to you, TC.
---
#7MM125Posted 4/22/2013 10:44:53 AM
moneyman82 posted...

By that logic, we should do away with the stat screen.
---
Oooh, MM, he be tryin' you, dawg. He be tryin' you. Best mind you biiiiiiiz-ness. ~KMA
*triple z snap* ~AluminumTicket