This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the current Type Chart unbalanced?

#31Sir WillPosted 4/22/2013 6:59:15 AM
MM125 posted...
Well of course it's unbalanced. It will never be perfectly balanced. The only way to have it perfectly balanced is to remove everything but Normal-type.

Fine, true, but there are still some serious flaws with it as is that should be addressed.
---
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
#32Shadow_StarWolfPosted 4/22/2013 7:35:46 AM
I think the problem is people only look at "BALANCE!" as it is without taking context.

Like for instance, people yell at Steel for being imbalanced, yet when you look at it, it's meant to be a defensive type. It resists a lot, but at the same time it's knocked out by common offensive types.

Ice is similar, it's terrible in defense but one of the best offensive types.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZOdcN.png
We Are XROS HEART!
#33Iced_ShadowsPosted 4/22/2013 7:55:07 AM
Shadow_StarWolf posted...
I think the problem is people only look at "BALANCE!" as it is without taking context.

Like for instance, people yell at Steel for being imbalanced, yet when you look at it, it's meant to be a defensive type. It resists a lot, but at the same time it's knocked out by common offensive types.

Well put. The thing about a LOT of ice types is, they're either slow or trying to be defensive. Mach Punch and Stealth Rocks is another thing keeping Ice-type Pokemon from doing much, unfortunately.
---
Shadow Temple...
Here is gathered Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred... - Shadow Temple Walls
#34CakeOfLiesPosted 4/22/2013 8:07:12 AM
Iced_Shadows posted...

Well put. The thing about a LOT of ice types is, they're either slow or trying to be defensive. Mach Punch and Stealth Rocks is another thing keeping Ice-type Pokemon from doing much, unfortunately.

Bullet Punch, too.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Stunfisk is the epitome of monstrous majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.
#35Sir WillPosted 4/22/2013 8:20:04 AM

Which means people just put ice moves on other pokemon and don't use ice types at all. THAT'S the problem. Same as poison being useless offensively except for like toxic that anyone can use to the same effect.
---
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
#36ClassyOldHatPosted 4/22/2013 9:10:22 AM

I'll quote myself from another topic like this:

The whole "(Blank) type isn't underpowered, it's a good Offensive/Defensive balanced by being a bad Defensive/Offensive type" Argument falls apart when you consider that Pokemon with good defensive types (like water) can learn moves with good offensive types (like Ice) and use their offensive strength without suffering their defensive weakness, meaning that Ice and Rock Type Pokemon rarely see any use unless they're hyper-offensive-all-speed-and-attack Pokemon, while Ice and rock type Moves are slapped on anything that can learn them. Meanwhile, Defensive types don't lose anything from not relying on STAB, unless they have offense-oriented stats. Why do so few people seem to realize this?
#37PheonixFFire7Posted 4/22/2013 11:13:55 AM
Dragon is too good offensively.
Steel is too good defensively.

These two types over centralize the game imo. Slap a secondary Steel typing on almost anything, and it's instantly better due to SR resists, Poison immunity, and a laundry list of very useful resists. And Dragon, while "balanced" in the sense that it doesn't deal SE damage against anything other than itself, is too dominant because NOTHING resists it other than Steel. Combine that with high powered STAB attacks from monsters such as Salamence, and it becomes so powerful that it further encourages even more Steel-type saturation just so you arent completely swept by Dragons.

The next biggest issue is probably Water dominance, followed by lackluster types such as Poison and Ice, and to a lesser extent, Psychic and Dark. Also, Rock has always been an oddball type to me - the majority of Rock types are built as defensive Pokemon, and even the name "Rock" makes it sound as if it's supposed to be a sturdy, durable, "tank" type. Yet, Rock has some of the most plentiful, crippling weaknesses in the game, and a poor selection of resistances. Ironically, Rock is a fantastic offensive type, yet a terrible defensive type.
#38the_cajun88Posted 4/22/2013 12:11:49 PM
Slap a secondary Steel typing on almost anything, and it's instantly better due to SR resists, Poison immunity, and a laundry list of very useful resists.

Poor Aggron, Bastiodon, Probopass, etc.
---
The University of Tennessee Alumni
#39SP_WesPosted 4/22/2013 1:32:13 PM
The only imbalance I see is just how unecessary Poison and Normal types are.

Ice, Fire, and Grass tend to be glass cannons.

Fighting, Electric, & Psychic are offensive types with fewer weaknesses, but must deal with immunities.

Ground, Dark, and Flying have unique immunities and useful SE meant to counter-act certain types.

Rock & Bug have a unique blend of defense and offense.

Ghost, Dragon, & Steel are defensive types.

And then is Poison & Normal. What do they bring to the table? Normal has an immunity from a defesive type, while Poison is super-effective against a glass cannon (and nothing else). There is very little benefit to having either type on your team, with very few exceptions (namely Fighting types with really high defensive stats).
---
"We have no loofas in the Palace of Wisdom" - John Morrison
#40PheonixFFire7Posted 4/22/2013 1:41:44 PM
Poor Aggron, Bastiodon, Probopass, etc.

Hence the word almost. And besides, a pure Rock typing wouldn't do them any favors, either...being Steel just amplifies what already makes them bad, while buffing the things they're already good at and giving them more resists.