This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So how do you nickname your Pokemon?

#1Strain42Posted 4/22/2013 6:52:13 AM
And if you don't well then...I guess I don't understand why you'd click the link to get here, but welcome anyways :P

Do you have set names that you like to use or do you mix it up for each Pokemon?

I name my Pokemon after the six party members from the game Digital Devil Saga (and yes, I know that these party members are all named after Hindu deities)

Varna/Varnani, Agni, Prithivi, Vayu, Dyaus, and Indra

And whenever they do a remake I use their human names

Serph/Sera, Heat, Argilla, Gale, Cielo, and Roland

How about you all?
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#2pokemonfreak97Posted 4/22/2013 6:54:22 AM
When you catch them, it gives you the chance to, and if you don't then, you can do it at the Name Rater's house.

I generally just use whatever name comes to mind or don't nickname them.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#3EnferolunosPosted 4/22/2013 6:54:28 AM
So many naming inspirations, I can't even list them
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#4Zarren364Posted 4/22/2013 6:54:30 AM
Hey Strain, it's been a while.

I don't have a pattern, but I guess I go off of old gods and myths with literary and MTG references
---
I am the Anti-troll. Your poll needs a bacon option.
GLAD GANG l SSS l No.XII l OPBC-Wargle I R - Zarren
#5KitschgardenerPosted 4/22/2013 6:54:39 AM
I use random foreign-ish words that vaguely describe the Pokémon in question. I mix teams up regularly so I don't name them as part of a set.
#6EnferolunosPosted 4/22/2013 6:54:58 AM
pokemonfreak97 posted...
When you catch them, it gives you the chance to, and if you don't then, you can do it at the Name Rater's house.

I generally just use whatever name comes to mind or don't nickname them.

Ha ha
-_-
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#7CakeOfLiesPosted 4/22/2013 6:55:08 AM
I nickname them based on weather or not I feel like it and I use names that fit them.

Blaziken is C. Falcon,
Terrakion is Roflstompr,
Rattata is Top %,
My next Heatran will be Rubicante ("The frozen winds of hell's ninth circle could not penetrate this cloak of flame I wear")
And my Shiny Haxorus is Fuffy.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Stunfisk is the epitome of monstrous majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.
#8RethalwolfPosted 4/22/2013 7:12:46 AM
If I feel there is a name I find more fitting for a pokemon than its given name, I'll usually nickname it that; Wotter for Oshawott, Avogodrill for Excadrill, things of that nature.
Then I have teams created from characters of my own writing that use the most close relation I have access to as a medium.
Then I base all the rest on other characters, lore, regions; I've gone through Africa/Sahara/Mombai/Caineghis, Canada/Arctic/Chicago/Nailah, and Bermuda/Giffca plus two others I can't think of as names for the Legendary Beasts alone, as well as names from Fire Emblem, other games (KingK.Rool for Feraligatr), Lion King (Watchog and Mamoswine)...
---
"The point of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the enemy die for his."
#9trewerdPosted 4/22/2013 7:18:56 AM
I just use whatever name comes to mind.

Emboar became Kagutsuchi
Groudon became Apocalyps
Sigilyph became Mindsoar
Zapdos became Alcadeias
Volcarona became Mothra
---
I like English dubs.
#10SirPiercePosted 4/22/2013 7:19:40 AM
If I think of a specific nickname with a special meaning, I will use it. If not, I like to use Anime characters that match the Pokemon in some way.
---
NNID - Aerontar. Steam - KingAerontar
Currently Awaiting...SSBU, SSB3DS, Pokemon X, Pokemon Y and Watch Dogs.