This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How would this relate to the competiive community of Pokemon?

#11LexifoxPosted 4/23/2013 9:59:01 PM
First off, this thing comes off as a bit whiny. It opens with the argument that "If a game has a Pro-Gamer environment, that means that 50-70% of the time, you will have to be a part of that environment if you want to win.", which is kind of a silly argument. He's basically saying that if a game has compeittive people playing it, you'll have to follow the strategy, etc. that they discuss to do well. So... if people play a game very well, then you'll have to follow the metagame to do well. What multiplayer games don't have this "issue", where some people play well enough that people ape them to improve themselves, and certain strategies are considered optimal? For that matter, what game doesn't have certain strategies or styles that are better than another?

The writer comes off as something of a hypocrit, complaining that other people are playing with a style that he dislikes and that things would be better if things were played his own way. He then goes on to complain about people who are basically jerks because they're good at a game. So his issue is that people who become good at something become cocky and egotistical?

I'm trying to keep an open mind about this, but it seems to just boil down to "I dislike competitive mindsets because there are a lot of competitive people who are jerks and I don't like people playing games in a way I don't want to play, then pushing it onto me. Play how I want to play."

I guess I could be misunderstanding it, but I'm having trouble reading the damn thing with the colors and background.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#12GiftedACIIIPosted 4/24/2013 5:27:11 AM
Lexifox posted...
First off, this thing comes off as a bit whiny. It opens with the argument that "If a game has a Pro-Gamer environment, that means that 50-70% of the time, you will have to be a part of that environment if you want to win.", which is kind of a silly argument. He's basically saying that if a game has compeittive people playing it, you'll have to follow the strategy, etc. that they discuss to do well. So... if people play a game very well, then you'll have to follow the metagame to do well. What multiplayer games don't have this "issue", where some people play well enough that people ape them to improve themselves, and certain strategies are considered optimal? For that matter, what game doesn't have certain strategies or styles that are better than another?

The writer comes off as something of a hypocrit, complaining that other people are playing with a style that he dislikes and that things would be better if things were played his own way. He then goes on to complain about people who are basically jerks because they're good at a game. So his issue is that people who become good at something become cocky and egotistical?

I'm trying to keep an open mind about this, but it seems to just boil down to "I dislike competitive mindsets because there are a lot of competitive people who are jerks and I don't like people playing games in a way I don't want to play, then pushing it onto me. Play how I want to play."

I guess I could be misunderstanding it, but I'm having trouble reading the damn thing with the colors and background.

The author is a http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Scrub
#13NeoFalconHavok(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 6:04:07 AM
I didn't see any real complaining. He's just going on about why he believe people don't like competitive gamers in general.

Though that comparison with real pros vs gaming pros does seem iffy
---
"If this guy has a problem with GameFaqs users that like Nintendo games, he can kiss my ass."
LMFAO
#14LexifoxPosted 4/24/2013 6:16:26 PM
NeoFalconHavok posted...
I didn't see any real complaining. He's just going on about why he believe people don't like competitive gamers in general.

The whole article is kinda flawed.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#15GiftedACIIIPosted 4/24/2013 11:06:20 PM
NeoFalconHavok posted...

Yeah basically it's summed up as "below-average losers jealous of people more intelligent than them"
#16Emerald_MeliosPosted 4/27/2013 7:05:33 PM
Lexifox posted...
NeoFalconHavok posted...

The whole article is kinda flawed.

It does bring up a good point about American gaming groups insisting there's only one "correct" way, which is how they stifle creativity.