This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are tiers mostly based on usage...

#1LightningAce11Posted 4/22/2013 2:18:20 PM
And not how good a pokemon is? Because there are plenty of pokemon in uu, like hitmontop can hold their own in ou. In fact, technician fake out sucker punch life orb hitmontop is an amazing lead.
---
"Nostalgia makes the heart feeble. It is the heart's nemesis." - Trema
#2CakeOfLiesPosted 4/22/2013 2:19:17 PM
I think they're based on how good something is.
Some of the stuff in Uber isn't used much, but is too good for OU.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Stunfisk is the epitome of monstrous majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.
#3ColtCababaPosted 4/22/2013 2:20:08 PM
Nah, Stealth Rock. :)
---
Official Crawdaunt of the Pokemon XY Boards and Enforcer of WF
"Come at me, Chupacabras!" -Pat (Two Best Friends Play)
#4SalsaSavantPosted 4/22/2013 2:20:21 PM
If it was based on how good they were, there would be endless debates. Pokemon are just too varied to judge easily, so usage is the best way to do it. If you disagree with a tier placement...go out and prove it's better.
---
On 12/02/12 I said I wouldn't change this until something impossible happened. Now, Earthbound is coming to the US.
#5kirbydude385Posted 4/22/2013 2:27:35 PM
Everything is based on usage except for the banlist tiers like Uber and BL
---
Official Manectric and Creator of the B/W, BW2, and XY Boards Clan
Official Dawn of the BW2 Boards
Khaini: ImSooBipolar - 14x Luminous
#6Xavier_On_HighPosted 4/22/2013 2:32:44 PM
kirbydude385 posted...

This.

Though, generally, usage stats themselves are indicative of how good something is in the context of the metagame, so...yeah.
---
"It was like unwrapping a wonderful present -- a present made out of presents." - Graham Linehan, describing the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
#7Rat_a_tatPosted 4/22/2013 2:44:56 PM
Xavier_On_High posted...
kirbydude385 posted...

This.

Though, generally, usage stats themselves are indicative of how good something is in the context of the metagame, so...yeah.

Yup, you can see in this thread how OU is determined and where the cutoff is, for example:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3481670
---
"Official" furry liaison to GameFAQs.
#8PK_GamingPosted 4/22/2013 2:50:48 PM
LightningAce11 posted...
And not how good a pokemon is? Because there are plenty of pokemon in uu, like hitmontop can hold their own in ou. In fact, technician fake out sucker punch life orb hitmontop is an amazing lead.

1. Yes
2. I wouldn't put much stock in which pokemon is in what tier. (Nobody good uses Ambipom in UU for example)
---
Everything that bores me has gotta go!
~Yosuke
#9IrisVilePosted 4/22/2013 2:57:35 PM
PK_Gaming posted...
LightningAce11 posted...

1. Yes
2. I wouldn't put much stock in which pokemon is in what tier. (Nobody good uses Ambipom in UU for example)

That's a rather polarizing statement. Ambipom is more a one trick pony but a person with good skillset could make the gimmick work..
---
I assure you sir. I am not the Queen you seek. Princess of Peacocks.
#10PK_GamingPosted 4/22/2013 3:09:26 PM
IrisVile posted...
PK_Gaming posted...
LightningAce11 posted...

1. Yes

That's a rather polarizing statement. Ambipom is more a one trick pony but a person with good skillset could make the gimmick work..

My point was that tiers don't necessarily represent how good a Pokemon is.

As for Ambipom... it's not "terrible", but I doubt anyone would seriously use it in a tournament environment
---
Everything that bores me has gotta go!
~Yosuke