This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are tiers mostly based on usage...

#11AuroraSonicBeamPosted 4/22/2013 3:12:41 PM
Tiers are secretions that clean and lubricate the eyes.
---
If you fail to get krump....nothing you do in life will succeed.- Krump King ASB
Black 2: 0820-1866-0181
#12Rat_a_tatPosted 4/22/2013 3:12:48 PM
LightningAce11 posted...
And not how good a pokemon is? Because there are plenty of pokemon in uu, like hitmontop can hold their own in ou. In fact, technician fake out sucker punch life orb hitmontop is an amazing lead.

You have to keep in mind, though, that in many cases a Pokemon isn't low tier because it's necessarily "bad", but because there's something else (most of the time) that can do it's job better. Like a bunch of UU and even NU mons, Hitmontop could function well enough in OU, but because Lucario and Terrakion can do practically everything it can but better (except spin), less people bother with it.

On the plus side, using Hitmontop in OU is gonna make you more unique.
---
"Official" furry liaison to GameFAQs.
#13kakashik99992Posted 4/22/2013 3:21:52 PM
Tiers are accurate as how good a pokemon is in the metagame.. for example hitmontop is meh in single but a beast in doubles like cresselia or amongus
---
My pokemon run http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/150
#14iKhanicPosted 4/22/2013 3:33:35 PM
LightningAce11 posted...
And not how good a pokemon is? Because there are plenty of pokemon in uu, like hitmontop can hold their own in ou. In fact, technician fake out sucker punch life orb hitmontop is an amazing lead.

And no matter how good or bad Charizard is, it will always be heavily used in Ubers. So its obviously Uber.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#15pokemonfreak97Posted 4/22/2013 3:36:19 PM
It's usage for all the tiers with "U" in their name (double for UU), but Uber, BL, BL2, and (the currently-empty) BL3 are banlists for the tier below them. So if a Pokémon is too strong for UU but doesn't meet the usage requirements for OU, then it's BL, if a Pokémon is too strong for OU, it's Uber, et cetera.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#16IrisVilePosted 4/22/2013 3:37:38 PM
PK_Gaming posted...
IrisVile posted...
PK_Gaming posted...
LightningAce11 posted...

1. Yes
2. I wouldn't put much stock in which pokemon is in what tier. (Nobody good uses Ambipom in UU for example)

That's a rather polarizing statement. Ambipom is more a one trick pony but a person with good skillset could make the gimmick work..

My point was that tiers don't necessarily represent how good a Pokemon is.

As for Ambipom... it's not "terrible", but I doubt anyone would seriously use it in a tournament environment

I know that silly~ I mean it could work, I know Magic Coat Milotic upsets people. :D
---
I assure you sir. I am not the Queen you seek. Princess of Peacocks.
#17GiftedACIIIPosted 4/23/2013 7:46:48 PM
PK_Gaming posted...

I wouldn't put much stock in which pokemon is in what tier. (Nobody good uses Ambipom in UU for example)

Don't do this to the casuals man. You'll break their minds. They're just starting to get the hang that tiers doesn't mean that UU Pokemon aren't allowed in OU. I mean tiers within tiers?! Mindblowing for sure. Better just take the steps little by little.

lol I wonder how a top smogonite would react if they ever went to Pokememes. You should check it out PK.
#18primusninePosted 4/23/2013 7:51:58 PM
PK_Gaming posted...
IrisVile posted...
PK_Gaming posted...
LightningAce11 posted...

1. Yes
2. I wouldn't put much stock in which pokemon is in what tier. (Nobody good uses Ambipom in UU for example)

That's a rather polarizing statement. Ambipom is more a one trick pony but a person with good skillset could make the gimmick work..

As for Ambipom... it's not "terrible", but I doubt anyone would seriously use it in a tournament environment

Fake Out, Trick, Protect and Last Resort are a tough set to deal with unless you have a Ghost or Steel type on your team!
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180
#19IrisVilePosted 4/23/2013 7:57:55 PM
primusnine posted...
PK_Gaming posted...
IrisVile posted...
PK_Gaming posted...
LightningAce11 posted...

1. Yes

Fake Out, Trick, Protect and Last Resort are a tough set to deal with unless you have a Ghost or Steel type on your team!

I prefer

Switcharoo
Return
Low Kick
Shadow Claw
---
I assure you sir. I am not the Queen you seek. Princess of Peacocks.
#20GiftedACIIIPosted 4/23/2013 8:04:10 PM
primusnine posted...
PK_Gaming posted...
IrisVile posted...
PK_Gaming posted...
LightningAce11 posted...

1. Yes

And the premier ghost of UU, Cofagrigus along with Chandelure is everywhere.