This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What did Pokemon say before their species were given names?

#11FuneralCakePosted 4/22/2013 5:41:03 PM
They didn't say anything. They just made "animal" noises.

Pokemon saying their names is really just an anime-based thing. In the games, the Pokemon rarely say their names, so it would be assumed that they were named first by humans.
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
if i'm going to heaven, i'd already be there
#12vital_tundraPosted 4/22/2013 5:47:40 PM
Games came first, so just like in real life, they just name the damn things because.
---
I wish Blastoise was my dad. He wouldn't beat my mom like what her boyfriend, Johnny does. If Blastoise was my dad things would be different around here.
#13MetalgenesisPosted 4/22/2013 6:06:04 PM
vanguard29 posted...
Strain42 posted...
"I'm not a Pokemon! I'm Chiaotzu! Chiaotzu!"
"Hear that, Vegeta? It's a Chiaotzu!"

This is the correct answer.

---
Black2 FC: 3526 1347 5979 Name: Mia
#14PK_GamingPosted 4/22/2013 6:07:49 PM
How do you name an animal?
Hint: They tend not to say their names

The anime isn't canon
---
Everything that bores me has gotta go!
~Yosuke
#15snuffles504Posted 4/22/2013 6:44:50 PM
FuneralCake posted...

Pokemon saying their names is really just an anime-based thing. In the games, the Pokemon rarely say their names, so it would be assumed that they were named first by humans.

I came here to say this. The only Pokemon that says its own name in the games (barring Chatot) is Yellow version Pikachu.
---
....because shutup.
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!
#16jnetheryPosted 4/22/2013 6:53:19 PM
snuffles504 posted...
FuneralCake posted...

I came here to say this. The only Pokemon that says its own name in the games (barring Chatot) is Yellow version Pikachu.

Nope. 3rd Gen has quite a few pokes that say their names if you talk to their field sprites. FRLG in particular.
#17UmuruPosted 4/22/2013 6:54:10 PM
They make sounds. I refuse to believe they speak like in the anime.
#18FuneralCakePosted 4/22/2013 6:58:51 PM
jnethery posted...
Nope. 3rd Gen has quite a few pokes that say their names if you talk to their field sprites. FRLG in particular.

That can easily be explained through the use of an onomatopoeia. As an example, we associate a dog barking with "woof" because it sounds vaguely similar. However, the actual sound is really nothing like "woof," or at least not most of the time.

Therefore, if an animal makes a noise that sounds something like its name, that animal's name (or at least a part of it) would be used to describe the noise.
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
if i'm going to heaven, i'd already be there
#19DrunkenWhalePosted 4/22/2013 8:02:15 PM
They just made squeaks, growls, roars, chirps, etc. like real animals do.

The whole "Pokemon Speak" is an anime based thing made simply for marketing. It's how kids are supposed to remember the pokemon for when they buy toys, trade, etc.

It happens in a few spinoffs, but really not much else.

jnethery posted...

Just... Listen to FuneralCake.

The Japanese call a Frog "Kaeru" based on how they interpret a frog's croak.

Heck, in Mario, Chain Chomps in Japan are called "WanWan" and they bark like a dog, because they are named after a dog barking and Miyamoto straying too close to a chained dog while playing Legend of Zelda LARP edition.
---
I really never use signatures to be honest, but I figured I would put one here anyway.
#20pokemonfreak97Posted 4/22/2013 8:07:57 PM
ReachOutToTruth posted...
What is your name, Pokémon?

"My name is GRRROROORRR"

"Your NAME is ONIX!"

Onix's roar in the anime is actually "Iwark", its Japanese name.

Same with Charizard and "Lizardon", its Japanese name. They're just roared more than anything else, so they didn't change it.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4