This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you choose your nicknames?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. How do you choose your nicknames?

User Info: FullmetalChild

FullmetalChild
3 years ago#11
I name my pokemon based off whatever I can think of a reference to. For example I've been replaying platinum, and I named my Turtwig Tank, my Shinx Nala, my Ponyta Agro. Some of them are weirder than others. Like my Vaporeon that I named Ozzy (because Acid Armor.).
Never pet a Castform on a summer day.
Currently playing: Fire Emblem Awakening, Final Fantasy III

User Info: Strain42

Strain42
3 years ago#12
EmeraldRange posted...
I don't even consider nicknaming a pokemon. My friend, nicknames the pokemon by the last syllable with an 'X' at the end(e.x. venuSAUR X, gardeVOIR X), but that got really wierd when he got a spirtiTOMB X

That sounds like the nicknames they came up with in like Pokemon Stadium.
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)

User Info: Emerald_Flash

Emerald_Flash
3 years ago#13
FullmetalChild posted...
I name my pokemon based off whatever I can think of a reference to. For example I've been replaying platinum, and I named my Turtwig Tank, my Shinx Nala, my Ponyta Agro. Some of them are weirder than others. Like my Vaporeon that I named Ozzy (because Acid Armor.).

That's a pretty cool approach. I didn't bother nicknaming until the most recent Gen, but it's definitely worth it. I just feel a little more invested in their welfare when I am on the verge of losing a Daenerys or an Arya. It's odd.
Official Latios of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
Saying inb4 does not make you cool, or clever. It actually makes you seem like a troll.

User Info: OcarinaofToast

OcarinaofToast
3 years ago#14
I nickname them whatever I feel like would be a good name for them!

I'm actually planning to nickname my Pokemon I catch on Pokemon Y after board members. =^.^=

Two people are already planning on naming their Fennekins after me. :3
Official Fennekin of every board and Shadow Fennekin of Team Miror Infinity
Official Royal Pet of WF :3

User Info: Sammuthegreat

Sammuthegreat
3 years ago#15
I never used to nickname my 'mons, until I started to Nuzlocke. Since then I always do. Gives them so much more character. Especially if you write a story to accompany your Nuzlocke run - which, again, I always do now.

I don't have a particular naming convention, I just give them what I think is a cool or appropriate name. A few off the top of my head:

Swampert (m): Crash
Mightyena (f): Pepper (RIP)
Charizard (m): Comet
Butterfree (m): Icarus
Medicham (f): Venus
Banette (f): Spice
Empoleon (m): Clipper
Nidoking (m): Spike (RIP)
Tentacruel (f): Gem
Golem (m): Rubble (RIP)
Staraptor (m): Eyrie (RIP)
Manectric (m): Major
Typhlosion (m): Pyro
Ferrothorn (f): Maiden (RIP)
Stoutland (m): Belvedere
Swellow (f): Swift
Gyarados (m): Pluto
Weavile (m): Blade
Lapras (m): Neptune
Poliwrath (f): Spiral
Exploud (m): Charlie
Hitmonlee (m): Sensei (RIP)
Emboar (m): Blazorback

Got tons more but can't think of them just now.

User Info: snuffles504

snuffles504
3 years ago#16
It kinda depends. I usually don't nickname on my first play-through of any game (BW2 so far has been the only exception because of its nature as a sequel).

Sometimes I go with pet names, but not very often. Usually I try to think of a nickname that's out of the box but still somehow related to the Pokemon. For example, I nicknamed a Beautifly "Geisha" because of the juxtaposition of its white face and big eyes next to its colorful wings. I nicknamed a Starmie "Deca," the Latin prefix for "ten." There was also the Chikorita that I nicknamed "Viridia," but later changed because I thought it sounded too feminine for a male.

Sometimes I go with rather random nicknames; just whatever my mind thinks of first. Examples: "Strawberry" (a Torchic), and "Bubbles" (a Minun, and later a Jigglypuff).

Sometimes my nicknames are really obvious...as in a Samurott named "Sam."

Other times, I nickname Pokemon based on people. I was playing through HGSS while my sister was approaching her due date, so I named my Poliwrath "Liam" after my soon-to-be nephew. Usually if I do this, I'll give my entire team names based on people I know. (However, there was an issue with my female Mamoswine because I didn't think any of my girl friends would appreciate me naming a mammoth after them...)

Only occasionally do I use names from other fandoms. In some of those instances I make entire teams based on the idea, and other times I just have one or two. For instance, in BW2 I nicknamed my Mienshao "Natasha" and my Golurk "Stark." (Seriously. Golurk is a hollow body that flies with rocket propulsion from his hands and feet and runs off an internal energy source. For the win.) There was also one time that I nicknamed a Torterra "Lion" based on the lion-turtle from Avatar TLA.

And I'm sure that's more than you ever wanted to know about my nicknaming process.
....because shutup.
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. How do you choose your nicknames?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived