This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you choose your nicknames?

#11FullmetalChildPosted 4/23/2013 9:24:37 AM
I name my pokemon based off whatever I can think of a reference to. For example I've been replaying platinum, and I named my Turtwig Tank, my Shinx Nala, my Ponyta Agro. Some of them are weirder than others. Like my Vaporeon that I named Ozzy (because Acid Armor.).
---
Never pet a Castform on a summer day.
Currently playing: Fire Emblem Awakening, Final Fantasy III
#12Strain42Posted 4/23/2013 9:25:36 AM
EmeraldRange posted...
I don't even consider nicknaming a pokemon. My friend, nicknames the pokemon by the last syllable with an 'X' at the end(e.x. venuSAUR X, gardeVOIR X), but that got really wierd when he got a spirtiTOMB X

That sounds like the nicknames they came up with in like Pokemon Stadium.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#13Emerald_Flash(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 9:27:33 AM
FullmetalChild posted...
I name my pokemon based off whatever I can think of a reference to. For example I've been replaying platinum, and I named my Turtwig Tank, my Shinx Nala, my Ponyta Agro. Some of them are weirder than others. Like my Vaporeon that I named Ozzy (because Acid Armor.).

That's a pretty cool approach. I didn't bother nicknaming until the most recent Gen, but it's definitely worth it. I just feel a little more invested in their welfare when I am on the verge of losing a Daenerys or an Arya. It's odd.
---
Official Latios of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
Saying inb4 does not make you cool, or clever. It actually makes you seem like a troll.
#14OcarinaofToastPosted 4/23/2013 9:29:32 AM(edited)
I nickname them whatever I feel like would be a good name for them!

I'm actually planning to nickname my Pokemon I catch on Pokemon Y after board members. =^.^=

Two people are already planning on naming their Fennekins after me. :3
---
Official Fennekin of every board and Shadow Fennekin of Team Miror Infinity
Official Royal Pet of WF :3
#15SammuthegreatPosted 4/23/2013 9:33:38 AM
I never used to nickname my 'mons, until I started to Nuzlocke. Since then I always do. Gives them so much more character. Especially if you write a story to accompany your Nuzlocke run - which, again, I always do now.

I don't have a particular naming convention, I just give them what I think is a cool or appropriate name. A few off the top of my head:

Swampert (m): Crash
Mightyena (f): Pepper (RIP)
Charizard (m): Comet
Butterfree (m): Icarus
Medicham (f): Venus
Banette (f): Spice
Empoleon (m): Clipper
Nidoking (m): Spike (RIP)
Tentacruel (f): Gem
Golem (m): Rubble (RIP)
Staraptor (m): Eyrie (RIP)
Manectric (m): Major
Typhlosion (m): Pyro
Ferrothorn (f): Maiden (RIP)
Stoutland (m): Belvedere
Swellow (f): Swift
Gyarados (m): Pluto
Weavile (m): Blade
Lapras (m): Neptune
Poliwrath (f): Spiral
Exploud (m): Charlie
Hitmonlee (m): Sensei (RIP)
Emboar (m): Blazorback

Got tons more but can't think of them just now.
#16snuffles504Posted 4/23/2013 9:37:03 AM(edited)
It kinda depends. I usually don't nickname on my first play-through of any game (BW2 so far has been the only exception because of its nature as a sequel).

Sometimes I go with pet names, but not very often. Usually I try to think of a nickname that's out of the box but still somehow related to the Pokemon. For example, I nicknamed a Beautifly "Geisha" because of the juxtaposition of its white face and big eyes next to its colorful wings. I nicknamed a Starmie "Deca," the Latin prefix for "ten." There was also the Chikorita that I nicknamed "Viridia," but later changed because I thought it sounded too feminine for a male.

Sometimes I go with rather random nicknames; just whatever my mind thinks of first. Examples: "Strawberry" (a Torchic), and "Bubbles" (a Minun, and later a Jigglypuff).

Sometimes my nicknames are really obvious...as in a Samurott named "Sam."

Other times, I nickname Pokemon based on people. I was playing through HGSS while my sister was approaching her due date, so I named my Poliwrath "Liam" after my soon-to-be nephew. Usually if I do this, I'll give my entire team names based on people I know. (However, there was an issue with my female Mamoswine because I didn't think any of my girl friends would appreciate me naming a mammoth after them...)

Only occasionally do I use names from other fandoms. In some of those instances I make entire teams based on the idea, and other times I just have one or two. For instance, in BW2 I nicknamed my Mienshao "Natasha" and my Golurk "Stark." (Seriously. Golurk is a hollow body that flies with rocket propulsion from his hands and feet and runs off an internal energy source. For the win.) There was also one time that I nicknamed a Torterra "Lion" based on the lion-turtle from Avatar TLA.

And I'm sure that's more than you ever wanted to know about my nicknaming process.
---
....because shutup.
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!