This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people want a new type?

#11LightningHawk90Posted 4/23/2013 4:14:57 PM
Because last time we got a new type was gen II >_>
---
Hi. I'm RageKaiser. I'm here to ruin your unfunny topics.
#12VirtualAnomolyPosted 4/23/2013 4:18:10 PM
LightningAce11 posted...
All the new types sound stupid, the types are more or less balanced so we don't need a new type, and a bunch of pokemon would be retconned.

Sound and Light seems fun.

Pokemon! Sound and Light.

But honestly, I just want more options, balance changes, and cha-cha-cha-cha-changes!!
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
Black FC---0304 1624 6630 (cole)
#13DoctorJimmy133Posted 4/23/2013 4:25:31 PM
Probably because they don't realize just how difficult balance actually is.

Arguing that a new type would be a bad idea because it might not work is fallacious. Adding a new type may not improve balance, but this doesn't change the fact that a new type can be added without messing everything up. It'd be hard to do, but there's no use in GF stagnating the series out of fear of ruining the balance.
---
Why do I have to move with the crowd of kids that hardly notice I'm around? I work myself to death just to fit in.
#14LexifoxPosted 4/23/2013 4:27:11 PM
DoctorJimmy133 posted...

Arguing that a new type would be a bad idea because it might not work is fallacious. Adding a new type may not improve balance, but this doesn't change the fact that a new type can be added without messing everything up. It'd be hard to do, but there's no use in GF stagnating the series out of fear of ruining the balance.

Or instead of NOT fixing the problem they could do a chart rebalance.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#15DoctorJimmy133Posted 4/23/2013 4:30:57 PM
DoctorJimmy133 posted...

Or instead of NOT fixing the problem they could do a chart rebalance.

Yes, they can do that too. It just wouldn't be as interesting as adding a new type.
---
Why do I have to move with the crowd of kids that hardly notice I'm around? I work myself to death just to fit in.
#16Arne83Posted 4/23/2013 4:37:19 PM(edited)
DoctorJimmy133 posted...

I'm not saying that a new type is guaranteed to f*** everything up. I'm just saying some people need to realize that balance is a lot more complicated than they think it is and that throwing in a new type is probably not going to magically fix everything. And this really isn't an argument against a new type, it's more an argument against people bringing up balance as reasons why there should be one.
---
Let's just pretend this says something witty.
#17DoctorJimmy133Posted 4/23/2013 4:46:54 PM
DoctorJimmy133 posted...

I'm not saying that a new type is guaranteed to f*** everything up. I'm just saying some people need to realize that balance is a lot more complicated than they think it is and that throwing in a new type is probably not going to magically fix everything. And this really isn't an argument against a new type, it's more an argument against people bringing up balance as reasons why there should be one.

I don't know anyone who believes that to be the case. Adding a new type could improve the balance so that Ice-type is not completely crippling defensively, or so that Poison-type attacks are sometimes useful for coverage. If a new type is added, simply improving the balance is enough, and "fixing everything" is obviously an exaggeration of what people are saying.

A new type can also help to fix the type chart without retconning it.
---
#18LexifoxPosted 4/23/2013 4:52:16 PM
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
DoctorJimmy133 posted...

I don't know anyone who believes that to be the case. Adding a new type could improve the balance so that Ice-type is not completely crippling defensively, or so that Poison-type attacks are sometimes useful for coverage. If a new type is added, simply improving the balance is enough, and "fixing everything" is obviously an exaggeration of what people are saying.

I really doubt this'll be the case since Game Freak seems to prefer using Poison for defensive uses and Ice for offensive uses.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#19DoctorJimmy133Posted 4/23/2013 4:55:32 PM
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
DoctorJimmy133 posted...

I really doubt this'll be the case since Game Freak seems to prefer using Poison for defensive uses and Ice for offensive uses.

Which is a shame, because Water-types mooch off Ice-types' only merit to high extremes.

And what Game Freak prefers to do has no bearing on what one wants to be in Pokémon X and Y.
---
#20LexifoxPosted 4/23/2013 4:57:43 PM
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
Which is a shame, because Water-types mooch off Ice-types' only merit to high extremes.

I'm hoping they adjust this a bit.

And what Game Freak prefers to do has no bearing on what one wants to be in Pokémon X and Y.

Probably for the best.
---