This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people want a new type?

#21Arne83Posted 4/23/2013 5:57:46 PM
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
Probably because they don't realize just how difficult balance actually is.

Arguing that a new type would be a bad idea because it might not work is fallacious. Adding a new type may not improve balance, but this doesn't change the fact that a new type can be added without messing everything up. It'd be hard to do, but there's no use in GF stagnating the series out of fear of ruining the balance.

I'm not saying that a new type is guaranteed to f*** everything up. I'm just saying some people need to realize that balance is a lot more complicated than they think it is and that throwing in a new type is probably not going to magically fix everything. And this really isn't an argument against a new type, it's more an argument against people bringing up balance as reasons why there should be one.

I don't know anyone who believes that to be the case. Adding a new type could improve the balance so that Ice-type is not completely crippling defensively, or so that Poison-type attacks are sometimes useful for coverage. If a new type is added, simply improving the balance is enough, and "fixing everything" is obviously an exaggeration of what people are saying.

A new type can also help to fix the type chart without retconning it.

I swear I've seen people mention stuff like that before. That, or I'm crazy... also a possibility. And yes, a new type could fix some balance problems... but it could also be a double-edged sword and cause brand new problems. Balance is delicate...one slight mistake and things go crazy.

Does this mean there shouldn't be a new type? Not at all... but balance isn't exactly the best reason for it. There's just too much that can go wrong.
---
Let's just pretend this says something witty.
#22DoctorJimmy133Posted 4/23/2013 6:00:56 PM
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
Probably because they don't realize just how difficult balance actually is.

Arguing that a new type would be a bad idea because it might not work is fallacious. Adding a new type may not improve balance, but this doesn't change the fact that a new type can be added without messing everything up. It'd be hard to do, but there's no use in GF stagnating the series out of fear of ruining the balance.

I'm not saying that a new type is guaranteed to f*** everything up. I'm just saying some people need to realize that balance is a lot more complicated than they think it is and that throwing in a new type is probably not going to magically fix everything. And this really isn't an argument against a new type, it's more an argument against people bringing up balance as reasons why there should be one.

I don't know anyone who believes that to be the case. Adding a new type could improve the balance so that Ice-type is not completely crippling defensively, or so that Poison-type attacks are sometimes useful for coverage. If a new type is added, simply improving the balance is enough, and "fixing everything" is obviously an exaggeration of what people are saying.

I swear I've seen people mention stuff like that before. That, or I'm crazy... also a possibility. And yes, a new type could fix some balance problems... but it could also be a double-edged sword and cause brand new problems. Balance is delicate...one slight mistake and things go crazy.

Does this mean there shouldn't be a new type? Not at all... but balance isn't exactly the best reason for it. There's just too much that can go wrong.

How about this: I want there to be a new type that improves the balance.

'K?
---
Why do I have to move with the crowd of kids that hardly notice I'm around? I work myself to death just to fit in.
#23Xavier_On_HighPosted 4/23/2013 6:02:42 PM
I'd like to see a new type for the same reason I like to see new Pokemon. It's a nice change. It adds flavour. It makes the Pokemon universe a richer place.
---
"It was like unwrapping a wonderful present -- a present made out of presents." - Graham Linehan, describing the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
#24Arne83Posted 4/23/2013 6:03:25 PM
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
DoctorJimmy133 posted...

How about this: I want there to be a new type that improves the balance.

'K?

Hmmm.... fair enough, I guess.
---
Let's just pretend this says something witty.
#25ThePlotInYouPosted 4/23/2013 6:12:03 PM
Dinosaur type yo
#26EnferolunosPosted 4/23/2013 6:12:51 PM
ThePlotInYou posted...
Dinosaur type yo

No
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#27pokemonfreak97Posted 4/23/2013 7:53:11 PM
I don't think it's a good idea to have a new type, but I could live with it.

My problem is that retconning the type chart to make some types (Ice especially) suck less for the Pokémon that are those types is easier than adding a new type.

Also, I think the main problem with Ice-types is that the usage of Ice-type is HEAVILY skewed towards offense, which is a trait of the moves, not the Pokémon, and so when just about everything can learn Ice Beam, being Ice-type doesn't have that many benefits.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#28Nograd789Posted 4/23/2013 7:55:21 PM
A new type would mix things up a bit, and that would be fun to see.
---
In the seventh turning hour, should the victims shadows fall, will the irony grow hungry with the victory and all they sought for. We were one among the fence.
#29Strain42Posted 4/23/2013 8:07:06 PM
What if the Fairy type wasn't super effective against anything and the only thing it resisted was itself and also no old Pokemon would be rectonned to have the Fairy type attached to them.

If that were the case, isn't it basically pointless?
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#30MagikarpRulesPosted 4/23/2013 8:14:37 PM
I wonder: if Game Freak hadn't added 2 new types back in Gen 2, would people be talking about an hypothetic new type every new gen?

Honestly, some people who throw out their ideas for new types just don't think the whole thing through, and their suggestions upset the balance even more.

If a new type is included, all of us will get used to it. But what is starting to upset me is people who act as if a new type is truly unavoidable based on nothing more than wishful thinking.