This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people want a new type?

#41LexifoxPosted 4/23/2013 9:38:45 PM(edited)
Renjiro7 posted...
IceDragon77 posted...
There are only like a dozen pokemon that look fairy-like out of 649. Also, how the hell would it fit into the type chart? What would be supper effective vs. "fairy" and what would "fairy" be super effective against? I have yet to see a single person rationally answer those two questions.

There were only 3 Ghosts and 3 Dragons out of the original 151 yet they had their own types.
I'm not an expert on mythologies, but fairies seem to be in tune with nature so they could be weak against Poison (pollution) and they have magical powers so they can get through Steel and be super effective against it.
There, I think that makes sense and at the same time creates some balance as it buffs up Poison (only good against one type) and tones down Steel's defense (resists a ton of types). lol
Idk how it would interact with other types but that's a start.

1. Steel is meant to be strong defensively in exchange for being poor offensively.
2. Metals have traditionally been used against the fae. Steel would probably RESIST Fairy, maybe even being SE against it.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#42MagikarpRulesPosted 4/23/2013 9:37:50 PM
Renjiro7 posted...
IceDragon77 posted...
There are only like a dozen pokemon that look fairy-like out of 649. Also, how the hell would it fit into the type chart? What would be supper effective vs. "fairy" and what would "fairy" be super effective against? I have yet to see a single person rationally answer those two questions.

There were only 3 Ghosts and 3 Dragons out of the original 151 yet they had their own types.
I'm not an expert on mythologies, but fairies seem to be in tune with nature so they could be weak against Poison (pollution) and they have magical powers so they can get through Steel and be super effective against it.
There, I think that makes sense and at the same time creates some balance as it buffs up Poison (only good against one type) and tones down Steel's defense (resists a ton of types). lol

Make Ice resist it and Water be weak to it. That should be a step towards balancing the types.
#43Renjiro7Posted 4/23/2013 10:02:13 PM
Lexifox posted...
Renjiro7 posted...
IceDragon77 posted...

1. Steel is meant to be strong defensively in exchange for being poor offensively.
2. Metals have traditionally been used against the fae. Steel would probably RESIST Fairy, maybe even being SE against it.

1. I get that. Still, it resists 12/17 types. SE against 2. Some types are SE against only 2 too but don't resist anywhere near as many types as Steel does.
2. That may be true, but despite that, they could probably still make Fairy SE against it anyway in the sense that magic can bend steel, they already made sort-of-magic-types Psychic and Ghost ineffective against it.
#44LexifoxPosted 4/23/2013 10:05:07 PM
Renjiro7 posted...
1. I get that. Still, it resists 12/17 types. SE against 2. Some types are SE against only 2 too but don't resist anywhere near as many types as Steel does.

That's a problem with the other types, I'd say, not so much Steel.

2. That may be true, but despite that, they could probably still make Fairy SE against it anyway in the sense that magic can bend steel, they already made sort-of-magic-types Psychic and Ghost ineffective against it.

Doesn't that just establish a precedent for Fairy to be resistant to it? As I said, metals are traditionally used to guard against supernatural entities, with the fair folk being a notable one.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#45The_Undying_84Posted 4/23/2013 10:22:45 PM
I would actually quit Pokemon if Fairy was made into a type. Possibly Love also. Those ideas are just absolutely horrible.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#46jnetheryPosted 4/23/2013 10:42:04 PM(edited)
Fairy just makes no sense as a type. It is an egg group and that makes sense as fairy is more like a separate kingdom, or at least phylum, of creatures. Fae do not actually have any characteristic that they all have in common aside from being "magical" or "supernatural". They are diverse in their characteristics, strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, they are not a "type".
#47Renjiro7Posted 4/23/2013 10:39:37 PM
Lexifox posted...
Renjiro7 posted...

That's a problem with the other types, I'd say, not so much Steel.

Doesn't that just establish a precedent for Fairy to be resistant to it? As I said, metals are traditionally used to guard against supernatural entities, with the fair folk being a notable one.

1. Regardless, my point was the type chart would be a little more balanced if Steel was a little weaker.
2. I don't think necessarily. And as I said maybe it could go either way, they could screw that tradition for the opposite could make sense also, bend a spoon using the mind...wait, that's more like Psychic..yet they made Psychic NVE to Steel. But I won't argue this anymore as I'm not familiar with the notion that metal is good against fairies.
3...At the least, give Poison another offense, and to Fairy it seems fitting.
#48IceDragon77Posted 4/23/2013 11:03:13 PM
IceDragon77 posted...
Because some people are just stupid. People are all like "OMG, fairy types make so much sense!"

No they don't.

There aren't many fairy-esque pokemon because there hasn't been a fairy type. If they make a fairy type there will be more. All of your other points could go for other types like Bug or Steel as well. The type chart doesn't make sense, fairy type would have it's strengths and weaknesses just like all the others. I don't see the hangup.

So basically you want a bunch of new fairy types to compensate?

Yeah let's fill Gen 6 with a bunch of crappy pokemon of the same type just to compensate for a new type coming out! That is truly the smart thing to do! /sarcasm

Bug and steel have weaknesses and resistances that make sense.

Fire is good against bugs because fire destroys the forest that they depend on.
I don't think I need to explain why flying is good against bugs, if I do, then I'm wasting my time with this post.
Rock is the only one that is a stretch. The only reason I can think of is because bugs are small, and if you drop a rock on one, it goes splat.

Bug attacks are good against grass because bugs eat plants.
Bug attacks are good against psychic because a common psychological fear, is of bugs.
Bug attacks are good against dark because bugs have no problem with darkness.

Tell me, how would fairy work? Guess what? It doesn't fit into the list of current types.
---
http://i.imgur.com/xWWX5xm.jpg
http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad159/CrimsonSharpie/ReverseCharizard.jpg Thanks Fellwolf and L4DHunter!
#49nightblade_hawkPosted 4/24/2013 2:55:15 AM
Because we have this weird new Pokèmon confirmed that doesnt really fit any of the known Types, except Normal maybe, and People don't like the idea of that.
#50ljobenzaPosted 4/24/2013 4:38:09 AM
Because majority of Pokemon fans couldn't care less about the tournament scene and just want something new.