This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people want a new type?

#51GiftedACIIIPosted 4/24/2013 4:16:28 AM
ljobenza posted...
Because majority of Pokemon fans couldn't care less about the tournament scene and just want something new.

You act as if the people who don't play competitive don't find these subjects annoying and pointless. And the majority of Pokemon fans are childish noobs anyways.
#52WallydraiglePosted 4/25/2013 6:45:43 PM
IceDragon77 posted...
IceDragon77 posted...
Because some people are just stupid. People are all like "OMG, fairy types make so much sense!"

No they don't.

There are only like a dozen pokemon that look fairy-like out of 649. Also, how the hell would it fit into the type chart? What would be supper effective vs. "fairy" and what would "fairy" be super effective against? I have yet to see a single person rationally answer those two questions.

There aren't many fairy-esque pokemon because there hasn't been a fairy type. If they make a fairy type there will be more. All of your other points could go for other types like Bug or Steel as well. The type chart doesn't make sense, fairy type would have it's strengths and weaknesses just like all the others. I don't see the hangup.

So basically you want a bunch of new fairy types to compensate?

Yeah let's fill Gen 6 with a bunch of crappy pokemon of the same type just to compensate for a new type coming out! That is truly the smart thing to do! /sarcasm

Bug and steel have weaknesses and resistances that make sense.

Fire is good against bugs because fire destroys the forest that they depend on.
I don't think I need to explain why flying is good against bugs, if I do, then I'm wasting my time with this post.
Rock is the only one that is a stretch. The only reason I can think of is because bugs are small, and if you drop a rock on one, it goes splat.

Bug attacks are good against grass because bugs eat plants.
Bug attacks are good against psychic because a common psychological fear, is of bugs.
Bug attacks are good against dark because bugs have no problem with darkness.

Tell me, how would fairy work? Guess what? It doesn't fit into the list of current types.

I don't think I said that. You said that Fairy type is stupid because there aren't many fairy-like pokemon. I pointed out that if they make a fairy type there would by necessity be more fairy-like pokemon and you didn't like that either. So there's that.

As for the other thing, I don't see how you can be so dead set against a hypothetical type not fitting into the chart when you put forth "common psychological fear" as a rationale for Bug being supereffective against Psychic and totally overlook the fact that if you punch steel you just hurt your hand. I think it would be pretty easy to come up with some strengths and resistances for a Fairy type, actually.

Fairies are difficult for normal people to catch making them difficult to fight, so they resist Normal and Fighting. Hand in hand with that, they're apparently fearful of people so maybe Normal can resist Fairy. They have some insect-like traits so maybe there's some kind of rivalry between them, making them weak to each other. Maybe they're beings of pure light so they're immune to Dark. They're very close to nature so they could resist any combination of Grass, Ground, or Rock. The old stories are full of fairies being confounded by iron, so they could be weak to Steel, while Steel could be immune to Fairy. They have very weak constitutions so maybe they're weak to Poison. Being mystical and enigmatic in nature, like dragons, maybe they're immune to Dragon attacks. You could go on and on. There are several opportunities to buff or nerf old types, and any one of these would make at least as much sense as "drop a rock on a bug and it splats".

If you just plain don't like Fairy as a type I can respect that, but can you just admit that the reasons you're putting forth are irrational?
---
Always interested in any Pokemon event distribution cartridges. My email is in my profile.
#53HejiruPosted 4/25/2013 6:49:38 PM(edited)
I don't really want any new types either; but if there has to be one, Fairy seems like the best choice.

DoctorJimmy133 posted...
With a different name, it opens up some more possibilities. "Fairy" just seems too specific.

You could say the same thing for Dragon.

If there's anything I learned these past couple of days, it's that fairies are actually pretty diverse and not just limited to "I'm so cute and adorable I grant wishes yay!"
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#54RollerBobPosted 4/29/2013 6:04:59 PM
I'd like a Sound/Sonic type.

Several Pokémon have attacks related to sound, and there's even an ability that render certain Pokémon immune to sound-based attacks... so why not make a Sound type?

Roar, Sing and Hyper Voice go from Normal to Sound and add moves that play on musical notes, frequencies, tones and volumes.

Sound attacks would be good against Water, Ice, Rock and Steel, but not against Poison, Flying and Electric. Sound Pokémon would be resistant to Water, Rock and Steel, but weak against Poison, Flying and Electric.
---
Yes, I'm Canadian. Yes, I speak french. Yes, I live in Quebec.
#55Emerald_MeliosPosted 4/29/2013 7:52:16 PM
GiftedACIII posted...
ljobenza posted...
Because majority of Pokemon fans couldn't care less about the tournament scene and just want something new.

You act as if the people who don't play competitive don't find these subjects annoying and pointless. And the majority of Pokemon fans are childish noobs anyways.

They're also the reason why this is one of the most successful Nintendo franchises.
#56NewMoonShadowPosted 4/29/2013 8:05:49 PM
MagikarpRules posted...
I wonder: if Game Freak hadn't added 2 new types back in Gen 2, would people be talking about an hypothetic new type every new gen?

Honestly, some people who throw out their ideas for new types just don't think the whole thing through, and their suggestions upset the balance even more.

If a new type is included, all of us will get used to it. But what is starting to upset me is people who act as if a new type is truly unavoidable based on nothing more than wishful thinking.

Actually I think a lot of people are basing it on Sylveon, who doesn't have an obvious already-existing type, and whose type seems to be purposely hidden from us. They didn't hide any of the other new Eevee evolutions' types when they were revealed... not that Glaceon and Leafeon weren't obvious anyway, but still...
#57MagikarpRulesPosted 4/29/2013 9:05:37 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
MagikarpRules posted...
I wonder: if Game Freak hadn't added 2 new types back in Gen 2, would people be talking about an hypothetic new type every new gen?

Honestly, some people who throw out their ideas for new types just don't think the whole thing through, and their suggestions upset the balance even more.

If a new type is included, all of us will get used to it. But what is starting to upset me is people who act as if a new type is truly unavoidable based on nothing more than wishful thinking.

Actually I think a lot of people are basing it on Sylveon, who doesn't have an obvious already-existing type, and whose type seems to be purposely hidden from us. They didn't hide any of the other new Eevee evolutions' types when they were revealed... not that Glaceon and Leafeon weren't obvious anyway, but still...

Same thing that happened with Reshiram and Zekrom. Granted thtat Sylveon is not a legendary. But still, there are a handful of Pokemon whose type isn't obvious either at first glance.
#58WindyligthPosted 4/29/2013 9:54:21 PM
I'd like to see a new type or two. We haven't had any since Gen 2 and no one had a problem with a few moves and magnemite changing types.
---
I am here to promote the discussion and appreciation of Fennekin.
#59SazukeEXPosted 4/29/2013 9:57:48 PM
I want a type that actively reflects Stealth Rock Damage back to the Stealth Rock using team for full unmitigated damage that cannot be prevented.

Hate Stealth Rock.
---
Hector x Farina - OTP of FE.
#60Emerald_MeliosPosted 4/30/2013 1:18:58 AM
SazukeEX posted...
I want a type that actively reflects Stealth Rock Damage back to the Stealth Rock using team for full unmitigated damage that cannot be prevented.

Hate Stealth Rock.

Doesn't Magic Bounce have that effect?