This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Meganium undisputedly the worst starter ever?

#71Pendragon71037Posted 4/24/2013 9:50:01 AM
Ari917 posted...
Lexifox posted...
reaverz posted...
Lexifox posted...
I think that as far as ingame play goes, Meganium is likely the worst.

I found Serperior to be worse, actually, since Meganium can actually learn some form of coverage moves. Earthquake makes a big difference as far as ingame goes...

Sadly, when it comes to competitive battling, Meganium is indeed probably the worst starter...

I thought that Serp was better, and I used both Grass starters.

It lacks EQ, but Coil comes fairly early, and it with Leaf Blade/Return will do a surprising amount of work. BW2 gives it an early Aqua Tail, and Dragon Pulse for Giga Drain users. Screens come early as well.

I'm in agreement here, I used Serperior in White and he got by fine with Coil/Leech seed/Leaf Blade, which allowed him to tank a good number of the opponents and strike back hard. Not the most efficient strategy but at least he had something to fall back on.

I used him in the same game actually, went for more of a hyper offense (I still use basically only my starter. Sue me.) with Leaf Blade as the main move, followed with Giga Drain if I needed recovery, Cut because no one on my team cold learn it (and so I had an option against resistors) and aireal ace, as a bug counter. Wrecked some fools.
---
Chuck Finley is Forever! People that agree: 5. I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and am 100% proud of it. Yeah, it's hot, but it's a dry heat.
#72CakeOfLiesPosted 4/24/2013 9:50:10 AM
There's some slight dispute, but I'd say that it's the worst with Emboar close behind.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Stunfisk is the epitome of monstrous majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.
#73Grammar_manPosted 4/24/2013 11:54:16 AM
D_Bart posted...
Grammar_man posted...

1. Gen II starters are the overall worst in competitive play.
2. Gen II's other starters were worse than the in-game than other gens.

That would be Gen V, in both cases. Especially in-game.

Sorry, you are right about competitive(though Gen II is still second worst).

Lol at a game that heavily benefits Emboar being a bad environment for in-game. The fact that Darmanitan is so good you can ignore him doesn't change the fact that Emboar is better built for taking on BW than any of the gen II starters.

Though it's worthy of mention that I primarily think GSC starters, not HG/SS, because there's a notable difference there- espescially for Gatr.
#74jamieyelloPosted 4/24/2013 12:12:56 PM
Worst starter I've ever used was emboar, arm thrust and flare blitz are the only attack stab moves it learns. Blaziken is easily the best, ingame just enough speed to outspeed everything, enough power to sweep and an awesome movepool, competitively the only non legend in ubers, and designwise my second favorite. You can say it's overated as I'm kicking your *** with it.
---
It's different again.
#75PkmTrainerAbramPosted 4/24/2013 12:25:06 PM
Arcanine2009 posted...
I had a blast using it in-game in HG.

Earthquake
Body Slam/Return
Seed Bomb
Swords Dance

Using pokemon that were too powerful or common by other people, bored me. It's the challenge of using an outclassed and least used starter that really made me enjoy my experience.

This is EXACTLY what I came in here to post. That setup and the proper EVs make it very useable.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon LeafGreen(JPN) (blitz living Dex run COMPLETE), Pokemon HeartGold(JPN) run 470/493
#76reaverzPosted 4/24/2013 12:57:53 PM
PkmTrainerAbram posted...
Arcanine2009 posted...

Earthquake
Body Slam/Return
Seed Bomb
Swords Dance

Using pokemon that were too powerful or common by other people, bored me. It's the challenge of using an outclassed and least used starter that really made me enjoy my experience.

This is EXACTLY what I came in here to post. That setup and the proper EVs make it very useable.

In a competitive sense, it's the best offensive set it can muster. However, if we're talking about ingame, that moveset is impossible to get in a feasible ingame run. The TM for Swords Dance is only available at the Game Corner for 4,000 coins (not many will spend that much time at Voltorb Flip), and Seed Bomb is a move tutor move that costs 40 BP, and even then it's impossible to go into the Battle Frontier until you beat the Pokemon League.

I guess if one really dedicates themselves to Voltorb Flip to win, they can use Razor Leaf over Seed Bomb, but you would need to trade in order to get that exact moveset.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#77Mujika1991Posted 4/24/2013 1:02:12 PM
Did i miss something ?? or when did the Troll feeding party started ?? really..so many trolls in here..only agrees that Emboar is the crappiest Starter ever..FFS..get real..Probably even the worst Fire ever to ever exist..canīt stand that Fat Pig..in every aspect..Stats..Art..Movepools..EVERYTHING..only Start Pokemon i ever hate..will probably even like the next Fire Starter more..even though it will be ANOTHER..Fire/Fighting..
#78Dark_EinherjarPosted 4/24/2013 1:06:43 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#79Dark_EinherjarPosted 4/24/2013 1:07:28 PM
Serperior is worse until it gets Contrary.
---
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
-Sirius Black
#80Swiftblade09Posted 4/24/2013 2:04:13 PM
reaverz posted...
PkmTrainerAbram posted...
Arcanine2009 posted...

Earthquake
Body Slam/Return
Seed Bomb
Swords Dance

In a competitive sense, it's the best offensive set it can muster. However, if we're talking about ingame, that moveset is impossible to get in a feasible ingame run. The TM for Swords Dance is only available at the Game Corner for 4,000 coins (not many will spend that much time at Voltorb Flip), and Seed Bomb is a move tutor move that costs 40 BP, and even then it's impossible to go into the Battle Frontier until you beat the Pokemon League.

I guess if one really dedicates themselves to Voltorb Flip to win, they can use Razor Leaf over Seed Bomb, but you would need to trade in order to get that exact moveset.

:(
I got all the prizes before Whitney
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raiz5MAb98Q
Official Salamence of the Pokemon X and Y boards