This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Meganium undisputedly the worst starter ever?

#81Grand_BluePosted 4/24/2013 2:05:11 PM
I remember when I was little and I had a Bayleef and it finally evolved, I was like WTF is that thing? It's obese and ugly.
---
The Boondocks on Adult Swim is my favorite anime.
#82bratzboyPosted 4/24/2013 2:18:40 PM
Meganium just so happens to be my favourite starter so TCs argument is automatically invalid.

In game, it's a bulky, poison spreading beast who can survive super effective hits and demolish with petal dance and earthquake. Synthesis and screen help too.

Competitive Pokemon is all about usage. Just because it doesn't get usage, doesn't mean it's useless. It's one of the better clerics in nu now that venasaur is gone, it gets leech seed, counter, screens and swords dance.

Aesthetically, it's my favourite starter. I love the simple, elegant design, it's different from all the other starters. I'm tired of "badass" Pokemon, we have far too many. A real man doesn't need Pokemon to reaffirm his masculinity.
#83Twilight_SonataPosted 4/24/2013 2:29:23 PM
reaverz posted...
The TM for Swords Dance is only available at the Game Corner for 4,000 coins (not many will spend that much time at Voltorb Flip)

Are you joking? Voltorb Flip was so fun and addicting that I had half the prizes in that place before stopping myself so I could go challenge Whitney and continue the game. Even after that I regularly came back. A good two thirds of my time logged in that game was with Voltorb Flip. I don't even have anything to spend the coins on anymore, and I can't earn any more because they're maxed out.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#84reaverzPosted 4/24/2013 3:38:51 PM
I understand that some will have played Voltorb Flip to the extent that they could win the prizes, but I don't think the average player will. That was my point.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#85wolf rider(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 2:26:26 AM(edited)
Never played BW, so I just checked the starters ... wtf?

Pokes with high Attack/S.Attack but crappy Speed or high Def/S.Def and Speed but crappy Attack/S.Attack?

How are they supposed to work?
#86LexifoxPosted 4/25/2013 2:34:12 AM
wolf rider posted...
Never played BW, so I just checked the starters ... wtf?

Pokes with high Attack/S.Attack but crappy Speed or high Def/S.Def and Speed but crappy Attack/S.Attack?

How are they supposed to work?

Serperior, for ingame, could use Coil to raise its Attack, Defense, and accuracy and use its fairly early Leaf Blade, Return, Aqua Tail, etc. for damage, but it also did very well supporting with Flash, screens, and Leech Seed.

Emboar could rely on Flame Charge to raise its speed.

Samurott wasn't really bad at all, just average in everything.

It doesn't really hurt (or help) that the games gave strong Grass/Fire/Water to replace them early in the game.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#87LexifoxPosted 4/25/2013 2:35:06 AM
reaverz posted...
I understand that some will have played Voltorb Flip to the extent that they could win the prizes, but I don't think the average player will. That was my point.

Even if you do spend all that time playing VF, it still amounts to investing a substantial amount of time to improve your Pokemon, and that TM could be used better by another Pokemon. It amounts to grinding, basically.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#88Grammar_manPosted 4/25/2013 4:27:01 AM
The early replacements are the main issue, I think.

In RBY:
RBY:

There really weren't any fire type except for Charizard until just before Eirika(but that's really the only time you need one, really, and a flying type would last you just as well). The fact that Growlithe was essentially just the Charmander line without slash, and that Vulpix, while having the best Fire Damage output, was less varied.

Water-types... samey. None but a Magikarp(which required a ton of grinding) available before you got the Good Rod(at the earliest, about as late as Vulpix). Add to that the general underleveled status of wild Water-types. Gyarados and Lapras might be statwise superior to Blastoise, but both require a lot of grinding to bring to par... and there's no real reason to, because none of the other starters wreck the game as easy as Blastoise.

Grass-types... Here you did get better mons before the second gym. Sleep Powder before Lv20 means both Oddish and Bellsprout actually were better for the main game. This was changed with FR/LG, where Bulbasaur got it at L15, making him the best choice for grass.

Johto:

Grass: Bellsprout->L15 Sleep Powder= gg Meganium

Fire: Typhlosion is like Zard- better diversity over Vulpix/Growlithe. The bigger special also helps him stand out over the early Vulpix.

Water: Totodile is actually not the best early water in Johto- Wooper is. It has worse stats, but better early secondary moves, and when it evolves to Quagsire just 3 levels after Toto becomes Croconaw, it will rule the roost until L30 Feraligatr... just to take it back at 35 with STAB Earthquake. Anything Feraligatr can do later on, Quag can as a rule do too, and better.

Hoenn:
All three starters were unbelievably good for in-game. Built for Speed(Sceptile) but with good offense. Sheer power backed by a crazily good typing and passable speed(Blaziken). Bulky McBulk with excellent STABs, and great offense.

Sinnoh:
Grass: Grass/Ground was a great in-game combo, and much like Swampert, bulk and power.
Fire: Infernape was wonderful in this game, and it's one competitor for Fire-mon was Ponyta.
Water: Steel-typing. Only earlygame challenger was Buizel. Though Buizel and Floatzel were arguably better than Piplup and Prinplup.
#89CWtennisPosted 4/25/2013 5:07:41 AM
Meganium is one of my favorite starters in terms of design. I went with it in HG because of this and because using it can occasionally prove to be a challenge. Towards the end, his moveset was enough to be a stable member of my team.

I used Serperior in B2 however and will admit, he just wasn't that fun to use, at all.
---
3053 5388 2361 - Pokemon White 2 FC < Default
5372 0620 2714 - Pokemon White FC
#90Twilight_SonataPosted 4/25/2013 10:58:58 AM
Grand_Blue posted...
I remember when I was little and I had a Bayleef and it finally evolved, I was like WTF is that thing? It's obese and ugly.

You're obese and ugly. Also, who the **** picks a starter without knowing what its final form looks like?

Lexifox posted...
Even if you do spend all that time playing VF, it still amounts to investing a substantial amount of time to improve your Pokemon, and that TM could be used better by another Pokemon. It amounts to grinding, basically.

No, grinding is something you do just because you have to even though it isn't fun. None of that applies to Voltorb Flip. You play Voltorb Flip because it's fun and addicting, and you just happen to get coins and stuff for it too.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe