This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will GF ever stop trolling us with ridiculous catch rates for legendaries?

#1wolf riderPosted 4/24/2013 8:47:21 AM
I've just spent over an hour trying to catch an Articuno on SoulSilver, soft resetting every time I expended my 40+ pokeballs. I'm not even looking for a particular nature or IV spread. I just want to catch the damn thing.

As I turned off my DS in fear that continued play would result in a snapped DS, I asked myself: what the f*** does this stupidly low and random catch rate offer in terms of gameplay?

The answer is bloody nothing.

If they wanted to make legendaries hard to catch, make it so they are in hard to reach places with high level wild pokes, or have multiple requirements before you can battle them, or give us multiple subquests where we can obtain multiple Master Balls, or scale whatever formula GF uses such that reducing a legendaries' health to red and sleep/paralysing it actually makes a difference. Something, anything, that doesn't require complete luck.
#2GiftedACIIIPosted 4/24/2013 8:49:06 AM
lol throwing 40 pokeballs is a long time for you? It can't be more than 45 minutes.
#3dobinrulesPosted 4/24/2013 8:50:44 AM
Are you using just normal pokeballs? Or great/ultra's.

I've only ever used pokeballs only, I don't use great/ultra/master balls. And it can be a bit of a pain, but i've never noticed it being hugely difficult to catch legendaries.
---
Black 2 FC 0605 5264 1252 < use this unless told otherwise =)
Black FC 0948 7521 5494
#4darkdragongirlPosted 4/24/2013 8:52:50 AM
Timer Balls are an option in HG/SS...
---
I hate everything you enjoy.
#5wolf rider(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 8:53:52 AM
dobinrules posted...

I've only ever used pokeballs only, I don't use great/ultra/master balls. And it can be a bit of a pain, but i've never noticed it being hugely difficult to catch legendaries.

I've used everything. Normal, great, ultra, dusk, quick, whatever.
#6dobinrulesPosted 4/24/2013 8:55:46 AM
wolf rider posted...
dobinrules posted...

I've used everything. Normal, great, ultra, dusk, quick, whatever.

Only thing I'd say then is you've been quite unlucky. =/ Just give it another go, worst comes to worst, put it to sleep and spam stat reducing moves. (I sometimes find reducing their stats helps, even if only to buy a few rounds of sleep)
---
Black 2 FC 0605 5264 1252 < use this unless told otherwise =)
Black FC 0948 7521 5494
#7thebrawler56Posted 4/24/2013 8:58:59 AM
Catching legendaries are a big part of my pokemon experience and tests my abilities. I like challenges, which is why I like the Battle Frontier so much.
---
They see me brawlin'...They hatin'...
"We're goin' with my pimp plan." -Zelos (ToS)
#8SlimeStackPosted 4/24/2013 9:04:25 AM
They should add manual catching. Not sure how to describe it... you know in FFX where Tidus' overdrives have a bar with a sweet spot you have to hit? They should do something like that. There'd be an auto mode too which would have the same success rate as the current system. But the ability to go manual would at least make low catch rates a game of skill instead of luck, which would alleviate a lot of the stress.
---
Moo
#9ClassyOldHatPosted 4/24/2013 9:07:42 AM
Yeah, I agree. There's got to be a better way to make it challenging (especially considering that luck-based missions aren't really "challenging" any particular skill in the game).

One idea I had was that you could give the legends more reasonable catch rates (somewhere from 25-50% chance to catch them with an Ultra Ball while asleep), but as a catch, fighting a legend would temporarily make you "Honor-Bound" for the duration of the fight.

There are a lot of ways one could be "Honor-Bound," and perhaps different legends could have different restrictions: One might temporarily lower your Pokemon's levels to be equal or lower than its level, one could restrict you from playing Pokemon that resist the Legend's STAB, or using moves that would be Super Effective on the legend, another could perhaps allow you to only use one Pokemon to fight it (that you chose before battle, so you can still use Synchronize in the front of the party and have a spore/false swipe user do the actual fighting), or so on.
#10superM3Posted 4/24/2013 9:22:08 AM
no, they're legendaries, why would they not be difficult to catch? lol

get over it
---
This post brought to you by the GameFAQs moderator team.