This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Evasion Clause breaks the meatgame.

#1Jarred623Posted 4/25/2013 10:04:34 AM
It is so pointless to have an evasion clause, not all moves are 100% accurate to begin with, critical hits exist, attacks do varying amounts of damage, inb4loljarred, paralysis/sleep/freeze exists, multi hit moves can hit a varying number of times, and Present does a random effect. Since the evasion clause is so feared by Smogoon's meatgem because of the "randomness," why are these other things not banned?
---
This account has been placed into Purgatory, a timed suspension from posting any further messages on GameFAQs. Twice.
#2scrappybristolPosted 4/25/2013 10:06:17 AM
Liepard with Prankster

Thunder Wave
Double Team
Swagger
Foul Play
---
I'm a jukebox hero.
#3Jarred623(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 10:07:02 AM
scrappybristol posted...
Liepard with Prankster

Thunder Wave
Double Team
Swagger
Foul Play

Where's the attract yo?
---
This account has been placed into Purgatory, a timed suspension from posting any further messages on GameFAQs. Twice.
#4Dark_EinherjarPosted 4/25/2013 10:20:44 AM
"Vegetarians break the meatgame."

Fix'd
---
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
-Sirius Black
#5CakeOfLiesPosted 4/25/2013 10:21:30 AM
Dark_Einherjar posted...
"Vegetarians break the meatgame."

Fix'd

http://i1.theportalwiki.net/img/5/5d/Wheatley_bw_finale04_stalemate_intro01.wav
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Stunfisk is the epitome of monstrous majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.
#6iKhanicPosted 4/25/2013 10:24:11 AM
I wouldn't say it breaks the metagame. Rather, it directs it away from moves such as Swift and its equivalents, moves like Miracle eye and Lock-on, and moves like Sacred Sword.

If the evasion clause wasn't in effect, it would just mean we would see those moves a lot more often.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#7ArctimonPosted 4/25/2013 12:28:44 PM
I hate it when my opponent's meat evades too much.
---
~~Baltimore Ravens - 2013 Super Bowl Champions~~
Xiaolin Chronicles set to premiere Spring 2013!
#8ClassyOldHatPosted 4/25/2013 1:57:50 PM
Ignoring the typos: When Evasion and OHKOs are allowed, and one or both foes use it, with neither using always accurate moves, the results tend to lead to boring curbstomps one way or the other: Either the Double Team/OHKO user isn't protected/Fails to KO, and is completely crushed, or the other guy never lands a hit/looses all his Pokemon before he can do anything.

Meanwhile, those who use moves that can't miss are handicapping themselves against anyone who doesn't rely on Evasion moves, and worse, moves that never miss are very narrowly distributed, and almost all of them have some type that's immune to them. It's virtually impossible to cover all types with these moves and literally ANY pokemon that can learn TMs can learn Double Team, meaning it's impossible to find moves that don't miss to counter everything.

Finally, when dealing with bulky Double Team Pokemon, even Super Effective never-miss moves will leave such little impact, they might as well not be used.

At best Double Team and OHKO moves result in Curbstomps on the roll of a die. At worst, they make several Pokemon nigh-impossible to kill, while handicapping anyone trying to counter the move (Yes, Glorious Double and Triple battling master race, even in your Superior battle style which GameFreak only ever balances for since gen 3).

Evasion clause saves the metagame from boring curbstomps and stall wars.
#9EnferolunosPosted 4/25/2013 1:58:46 PM
Lady Gaga fixes the Meatgame
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#10BurningFlareXPosted 4/25/2013 2:16:38 PM
Minimize Blissey. NOW WHAT!?
---
I hate everything.