This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Psyduck is a platypus or a duck???

#41RingsOfUranusPosted 4/26/2013 2:53:31 AM
mehmetski posted...
technically, hands are just a variation of front runs. feet are hind runs.
so yeah, his hands, or front runs, look like those of a platypus.
and also, discussing about psyduck being a duck without mentioning golduck
is an acknowledgment of you only defending a point for the sake of it. while psyduck
mildly resembles a rubber duck and maybe a ducklett, golduck has absolutely nothing
in common with them. personally, i think psyduck and golduck are a kind of "missing link" creatures, because people always wonder where things like the platypus derive from.

I haven't mentioned Golduck because it is not the Pokemon we are discussing. I've never said Golduck looks like a duck. Golduck does not resemble anything that exists on this planet outside of its bill. Even its feet resemble neither the Duck, or Platypus. Did you see the post I just typed? It's 5am, I'm not going to type up another novel defending a Pokemon I don't even really disagree with you on.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC: 1636-3783-8366
Ipsylos: Psyduck easily is the best representation of Christianity on Pokemon period.
#42mehmetskiPosted 4/26/2013 2:54:20 AM
and now hes pretty much busted
#43paiprPosted 4/26/2013 3:02:17 AM
Personally I've always thought of them as a platypus but I do understand the argument that that line is more duck than platypus.
---
am i the only person that whishes game faqs offered the option to cut peoples comments from you topics?
#44RingsOfUranusPosted 4/26/2013 3:09:38 AM(edited)
My challenge from before holds: One physical trait, other than color, that it has in common with ducks and - now here's the important part - not platypodes

I'll go ahead and do the same for you the other way around, just to give you an example: lack of neck, short legs, claws on upper limbs, mammalian tail... oh wait, that's four. My bad.

One. One is all I ask.

Oh, okay, the three toes thing I'll count as a half. So that just means you have a half to go (and you'd still be behind, mind you, but at least you'd have something resembling a real argument.)

This is kind of an unfortunate way to phrase this. I've already listed four similarities Psyduck shares with a duck that it does not share with a Platypus based entirely on its feet. Then again, it walks on two legs. So, five. I must be misunderstanding your question here.

I can go a little deeper, I suppose? Psyduck has duck nostrils, not platypus nostrils. (The placement of the nostrils. Platypus nostrils are at the end of its bill, while Psyduck's are at the top of its bill, as occurs in all water fowl and birds) Not that a minor anatomical indifference like this is really that blatant but I'm not sure how involved you're wanting me to get here. If I could DNA test one, I would I guess.

So, six?

I'd also like to point out that, if Psyduck is a duck, it's the only non-Flying-type bird in the first gen (Doduo and Dodrio are Flying-types and they're based on birds that don't fly), the only non-Flying-type bird in the whole franchise short of the Torchic and Piplup lines, and the only bird not to learn even one single bird-related move by any means - no Peck, no Sky Attack (Godbird in Japanese), no Brave Bird, no Featherdance, no Mirror Move (Parrot Mimicry in Japan), no nothing, no way, no how.

The closest it gets is Aerial Ace, and that's learned by Diglett of all things.

Granted but I'd suspect the reasoning for this being that Psyduck evolves into something that is clearly not a bird of any kind and giving Golduck a birdlike moveset would be odd. Similarly, Shelmet does not learn steel type moves even though it is clearly a knight's helm. Because...look at what it evolves into. I personally have never met a psychic platypus, but that semi-dual typing would be another reason to not add flying type moves. Though I will credit you, this is a much better argument than what you've said in the past.
---
Ipsylos: Psyduck easily is the best representation of Christianity on Pokemon period.
#45RingsOfUranusPosted 4/26/2013 3:22:00 AM(edited)
If you're posting again, we really need to wrap this up. It's 5:20 in the morning and if my wife wakes up and asks why I am still on the computer, 'arguing about the anatomical differences between a cartoon character and its two possible real-life counterparts' is not getting me laid again anytime soon.
---
#46HaggitPosted 4/26/2013 2:54:16 PM
Psyduck lives in mud, has fur instead of feathers, a tuft of hair on its head, claws, a long mammal-esque tail, and lacks wings. It also evolves into a creature loosely based off a Kappa, which has a lot more in common with a platypus than a duck. It's a platypus.
#47HaggitPosted 4/26/2013 2:56:12 PM
Haggit posted...
Psyduck lives in mud, has fur instead of feathers, a tuft of hair on its head, claws, a long mammal-esque tail, and lacks wings. It also evolves into a creature loosely based off a Kappa, which has a lot more in common with a platypus than a duck. It's a platypus.

---
In memory of Kirbychu