The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So why does everyone hate smogon?

#1LightningAce11Posted 4/26/2013 1:42:54 AM
I find the movesets very helpful, and I think the tiers are good, so someone doesn't waltz in with a whole bunch of legendaries when you have UU pokemon. Why do people hate smogon?
---
"Nostalgia makes the heart feeble. It is the heart's nemesis." - Trema
#2keyos27Posted 4/26/2013 1:46:47 AM
Because Smogon kills creativity.
---
My team blue: http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7449/teamblue2copy.jpg
#3Cpt_CalamityPosted 4/26/2013 1:48:00 AM
Because everyone hates the devil though.

keyos27 posted...

But seriously, it is because idiots actually think this to be true since they don't understand Smogon.
---
Where is my desk?
#4BountyanPosted 4/26/2013 1:48:49 AM
It's mostly just ignorant people who barely actually play competitive who hate Smogon. There's literally no reason to hate them. It's just a play style and rule set people choose to adopt. If you don't like it, then you don't have to play that way. And tiers only make the game more fun and creative than the other way around.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#5Rad_DudesmanPosted 4/26/2013 1:49:34 AM

This is what uneducated people actually believe.
#6LexifoxPosted 4/26/2013 1:49:58 AM
I don't hate them because I'm not an idiot.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#7darkdragongirlPosted 4/26/2013 2:14:04 AM
I play with my favorite teams with my friends if they want. Well I did in gen 4, but I had no problem playing competitive.

I started doing competitive, albeit on Showdown, but I find it fun. I lose to the fine people of GFAQs, but I have fun with it.

People get crazy with competitive. It isn't hard to understand imo, and it is a game to have FUN. If you aren't having fun, find people who use none IV/EV planned Pokemon.

Smogon is just there to make you battle smarter.
---
I hate everything you enjoy.
#8RX02BansheePosted 4/26/2013 2:16:47 AM
Probably because they are incredibly arrogant. They do a lot of good work for the competitive scene, but ye gods do they have swollen heads, and I suspect people pick up on it and that is where the highly negative views start being formed.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.
Bethesda make poorly made shallow quantity over quality games.
#9TherianReturnsPosted 4/26/2013 2:19:41 AM
Lol. Smogonites are basically republicans.
---
I shook hands with Pope Francis. I am enlightenment. I am also the only true Pokemon fan.
#10TewlsyPosted 4/26/2013 3:02:13 AM
RX02Banshee posted...
Probably because they are incredibly arrogant. They do a lot of good work for the competitive scene, but ye gods do they have swollen heads, and I suspect people pick up on it and that is where the highly negative views start being formed.

Something along these lines. I tried playing Showdown UU for a couple of days in a row around 7 months ago and just gave up on it because nearly everyone I went up against loved to talk trash whether they were winning or losing horribly. Just constantly spouting off obscenities or criticizing you for making a less than perfect move. I'm not so thin-skinned that I can't handle being given a little crap here and there in competitive games like shooters and MOBAs, but Pokémon is NOT where I go to hear any of that. I'd have never stopped playing if you were able to disable chat or it was at least in a separate box from all of the actual battle information so I could tune it out easier.

I don't hate Smogon itself though. Organizing things the way they do and cleaning up after the actual devs of the game to make sure the competitive playing field is even enough is very admirable and appreciated. I just wish it wasn't needed in the first place.