This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So why does everyone hate smogon?

#11Twilight_SonataPosted 4/26/2013 2:06:22 AM
People hate Smogon because they're dumb and don't realize that they are under absolutely no obligation to care about anything that Smogon does in order to play Pokemon just as they were before. Smogon is nothing but a boon to the competitive Pokemon community.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#12SteveBobPosted 4/26/2013 4:07:44 AM
The movesets/analyses are perfect and they know their stuff but I've been on the Smogon boards and I have to admit it's not a very welcoming place. They are anal to the max and pretty arrogant.

I mean I agree with how strict they are on grammar but have you seen those "War Story" things for example? You can't just talk about a good match you had, you have to present it in a specific way or they all start crying. Either way if I want a moveset or to know something about a Pokemon competitively I will always go to Smogon.
---
Would you kindly read this signature?...
PSN: SteveBob7 YouTube: SteveBob104
#13NessEggmanPosted 4/26/2013 4:11:29 AM
RX02Banshee posted...
Probably because they are incredibly arrogant. They do a lot of good work for the competitive scene, but ye gods do they have swollen heads, and I suspect people pick up on it and that is where the highly negative views start being formed.

I don't care about Smogon either way -- I do use their movesets and stuff before VGC to get an idea of what I'll be up against and for a little team buidling advice, but I'm not into the community/forums/whatever.

But I would have to say that the most arrogant people are the ones who vehemently hate Smogon, way more than the people who defend it.

But then again, that's compeltely coming from a GameFAQs perspective, as I don't actually go try to talk to people on Smogon.

Actually, I did before VGC once and everyone was totally cool and helpful even though I was a noob and asking stupid stuff.

And I do meet some Smogon ppls at VGC at every year just from chatting with nearby strangers and they all seem pretty cool.

So yeah IDK exactly where this whole "Smogon is arrogant losers" thing comes from.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
#14TherianReturnsPosted 4/26/2013 4:12:49 AM
LightningAce11 posted...
I find the movesets very helpful

#Originality?
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. If you can't accept this, take your jealousy away from my presence.
#15slothicaPosted 4/26/2013 4:13:21 AM
I'm perfectly okay with Smogon. I play by their rules. They make sense. It adds stability to what would otherwise be a horribly imbalanced online multiplayer.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
I died and went to heaven. Apparently I'm on the ban list.
#16NessEggmanPosted 4/26/2013 4:16:43 AM
SteveBob posted...
The movesets/analyses are perfect and they know their stuff but I've been on the Smogon boards and I have to admit it's not a very welcoming place. They are anal to the max and pretty arrogant.

I mean I agree with how strict they are on grammar but have you seen those "War Story" things for example? You can't just talk about a good match you had, you have to present it in a specific way or they all start crying. Either way if I want a moveset or to know something about a Pokemon competitively I will always go to Smogon.

I remember reading a lot of War Stories when I was there before a VGC once (it was the VGC a couple years ago for the first BW tourney... you could only use Unova pokes) and people were creating analyses of the Unova pokes and stuff for VGC rules...

And I never saw people freaking out about grammar or war stories or anything.

I mean, people did comment on the grammar of articles that people were writing... but they were meant to look like professional articles and be uniform... if you're writing something like that, you WANT the grammar and everything to be perfect.

IDK why you would care if a "War Story" was formatted properly, but... I kinda get it. I mean, they're going for a professional look.

If your grammar gets corrected on an article you're trying to write for them, that makes sense.

Getting upset about that is like a cashier giving $200 to a customer when they were only supposed to get $2 in change... and then crying about getting in trouble or fired for that and saying "OMG MY BOZZ IS SO MATH NAZI DEY STUPID EELEETIST" :\
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
#17NessEggmanPosted 4/26/2013 4:21:28 AM
And for the people arguing "originality" or whatever...

Smogon is essentially a place for professional-level Pokemon competition. The point is that people who play with them and their rules are playing to be the absolute best at the game someone can be.

Originality is perfectly "acceptable" -- you can come up with original stuff and have it judged and tested.

But just because something is "original" doesn't mean it's good.

Watch any professional sport. Imagine if in basketball a player was like "I want to walk on my hands, and go in the opposite direction I'm supposed to!"

Well, that certainly would be original. But is it going to help him win? Is it a viable strategy? It definitely is something that is phsyically capable... but just because something is possible or original does not mean it's worth doing in a competitive environment.

Smogon is about playing to win, not necessarily playing to have fun in your own way. Some people have fun by trying to do everything they can to win -- mastering a competitive environment.

If you want to play basketball by walking on your hands... cool, go play with your friends at the park. Don't try to join the NBA and then cry when they say you're being stupid and call them elitists who hate creativity.
---
#18taexPosted 4/26/2013 4:22:05 AM
At first I liked what Smogon did to the metagame. But I came to realize that some hate Smogon because some of their members have over-sized egos. I would like to emphasize the word "some." And they have over-sized egos because of a game. A VIDEO GAME...
---
Mmm... Pies...
#19TherianReturnsPosted 4/26/2013 4:23:24 AM
taex posted...
At first I liked what Smogon did to the metagame. But I came to realize that some hate Smogon because ALL of their members have over-sized egos. I would like to emphasize the word "ALL." And they have over-sized egos because of a game. A VIDEO GAME...

Fix'd
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. If you can't accept this, take your jealousy away from my presence.
#20slothicaPosted 4/26/2013 4:28:29 AM
NessEggman posted...
Smogon is about playing to win, not necessarily playing to have fun in your own way. Some people have fun by trying to do everything they can to win -- mastering a competitive environment.

Well, I play by Smogon rules, but I still don't care for winning all that much. I have fun losing too, because I know the both of us were wracking our brains trying to predict each others next action, and both of us like to see if we were right or wrong. Mind games :D
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
I died and went to heaven. Apparently I'm on the ban list.