This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So why does everyone hate smogon?

#21CakeOfLiesPosted 4/26/2013 5:29:50 AM
TherianReturns posted...
Lol. Smogonites are basically republicans.

So that means non-competitive players are Liberals?

In that case, I'm going to see what it takes to be a Smogonite.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Stunfisk is the epitome of monstrous majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.
#22NatatteruPosted 4/26/2013 5:31:09 AM
Smogon says Charizard is a terrible Pokemon! SMOGON IS DA DEVILZZZ!!!11!!!111
---
Official Swordmaster and Husband of Say'ri from the FE Awakening board.
PSN: NatatBW P4A: Liz - BBCSX: Bang - 3s: Makoto - ST/AE12: Cammy - MBAACC: H-VSion
#23NessEggmanPosted 4/26/2013 5:31:56 AM
CakeOfLies posted...
TherianReturns posted...
Lol. Smogonites are basically republicans.

So that means non-competitive players are Liberals?

In that case, I'm going to see what it takes to be a Smogonite.

Not all conservatives are republicans and not all liberals are democrats, even though that's almost always the case. Jes sayin.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
#24pokemonfreak97Posted 4/26/2013 5:48:16 AM
See, the part I understand the LEAST about the Smogon-bashing is that people bash Smogon for putting their favorites in low tiers.

Not Ubers, not BL(2/3) (which I think really reduces those Pokémon's usage by the masses; they don't see them in their lists for the normal tiers, so they ignore them; however, I see the need), but something like RU. That means that as long as they're not playing NU, they can use their Pokémon. But I don't think people understand that; I think they're sure that tiers are separate, and that you can't use UU in OU.

I've seen some of their articles, and those are pretty good for newbies (when it comes to competitive battling, I will always be a newbie) like me. I'm also certain that their top players are some of the best at this game, regardless of the format. It just puzzles me why people hate them for tiering Pokémon in tiers that they don't have to follow on Wi-fi if they really want to use Excadrill or Blaziken without all those legendaries in the way and for saying "No, you can't have a Blissey use Minimize until you dodge everything, then use Softboiled whenever you get hurt."
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#25zrh5033Posted 4/26/2013 6:16:54 AM
I like Smogon because of the work that they do since I am sure it can't be easy.

What I don't like is that people on random match up will cry foul if you don't use Smogon to set up your team. A friend did a random battle when I was over at his house and the other guy was rude! That's my gripe. I admit i do miss the days of finding your friends and battling seeing that they had a strong or rare pokemon and it was cool to have rather then "OMG YIU SUCKZ Y U USE POKES LIKE EMOLGA!?" I'll tell you why! I like electric flying squirrels!
---
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas! <(^_^<)(>^_^)>
Official Yarne of the FE: Awakening Board! Bunny monster!!!
#26LenneValkiryePosted 4/26/2013 6:28:40 AM
Smogon claims they want a "balanced" metagame, while this is far from the truth.

The way they handled Drizzle in this generation should speak for itself.
Instead of banning the root of the problem (Drizzle) they banned Manaphy, Swift Swim+Drizzle, Thundurus, Tornadus-T and they almost banned Keldeo.

It should be noted that in Gen 3 and 4 Drizzle and Drought were banned because "even a level 1 Groudon and Kyogre would break the metagame through their abilities" according to Smogon.

Of course we have things like Flinchax Jirachi free to run rampant in OU, making or breaking a match through the equivalent of a coin flip. But Moody, a poor strategy that forces you to run awful pokemon (unlike Jirachi) is the devil and needs to banned even from ubers!

Their words and their actions contraddict each other, which is the definition of hypocrisy. This is why people dislike Smogon.
#27ColtCababaPosted 4/26/2013 6:33:10 AM
This topic sucks monkey balls.
---
Official Crawdaunt of the Pokemon XY Boards and Enforcer of WF
"Come at me, Chupacabras!" -Pat (Two Best Friends Play)
#28Shadow_StarWolfPosted 4/26/2013 7:22:41 AM
I like the rules done by Smogon like the tier division. I ignore the people involved however.

From: LenneValkirye | Posted: 4/26/2013 9:28:40 PM | #026
Their words and their actions contraddict each other, which is the definition of hypocrisy. This is why people dislike Smogon.

Actually you'd be surprised only people use that reasoning. Most of the time it's "LOL tiers".
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZOdcN.png
We Are XROS HEART!
#29Zarren364Posted 4/26/2013 7:34:08 AM
Cpt_Calamity posted...
Because everyone hates the devil though.

keyos27 posted...
Because Smogon kills creativity.

But seriously, it is because idiots actually think this to be true since they don't understand Smogon.

Yeah, I have to agree with Calamity here. I don't know a lot about competitive battling, but I do know it's not just one small group of people who come up with movesets and the tiers, it's a large community who test things out and the the better sets/pokemon rise to the top.
---
I am the Anti-troll. Your poll needs a bacon option.
GLAD GANG l SSS l No.XII l OPBC-Wargle I R - Zarren
#30IrisVilePosted 4/26/2013 8:11:20 AM
Cpt_Calamity posted...
Because everyone hates the devil though.

keyos27 posted...
Because Smogon kills creativity.

But seriously, it is because idiots actually think this to be true since they don't understand Smogon.

This. Also are you on Showdown?
---
I assure you sir. I am not the Queen you seek. Princess of Peacocks.