This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Stupid things you used to do when you were younger/ new to pokemon

#1Gsus_94Posted 4/26/2013 9:46:19 PM
For example, when I was a kid and played pokemon yellow, I would teach Pikachu thundershock, thunderbolt, and thunder and thought It was good. I also used to think that status changing moves (like screech, or swords dance) were terrible because that meant not having attacks that dealt damage. Also, I had nooooo idea that special/physical were NOT split in Gen III and before(so I would see the elemental punches on Alakazam and think those were terrible moves for him) and that special/physical were determined by type. I didn't realize this until they announced the split for Gen IV.

Your turn :)
---
Black FC: 4470 3989 3640
White 2 FC: 1979 7990 6311 (Use this one unless specified)
#2scrappybristolPosted 4/26/2013 9:49:11 PM
Hyper Beam on everything.
---
I'm a jukebox hero.
#3zombiabsolPosted 4/26/2013 9:52:10 PM
In soul silver, for my first playthrough of a pokemon game.

I defeated pryce and realized I couldn't pass the rage candy bar guy. It took me days to realize that I had to go to goldenrod city, and because over those days I was exploring figuring out what to do in my first game, I ended up with a level 60 something nidoking from the day care center xD.

Him and meganium were bossness.
---
(PSN:zombiabsol3) RE6 and PASBR <3
Waiting for: Remember Me, The last of Us, and Pokemon X.
#4SilverSockPosted 4/26/2013 9:52:24 PM
I absolutely refused to use any Pokemon that didn't evolve at some point.

Actually I still have a little bias in favoring Pokemon that do evolve, but not at all to the same intensity.
---
I summoned a baby to attract a lion. It didn't seem to work, so I tried a delicious baby.
Regular baby ATE delicious baby. Horror....horror.~Gameplayingperson
#5RandomAc1206Posted 4/26/2013 10:18:08 PM
At the way beginning with Pokemon Blue, I used to think stat-boosting moves were permanent, and I specifically remember Aerodactyl with Agility.

I used to think the move "Cut" would do extra damage against Grass-type Pokemon. I also thought the moves Bite and Crunch would do extra damage to "fish" Pokemon, because it's like you're eating fish.

I never used Legendary Pokemon, aside from Suicune and Ho-oh.

I also used to "pinch" the Pokeball onscreen after I threw it, thinking that it could help somehow.

I thought Ghost was a Special Attack-based type before the split happened in Gen IV.
#6Gsus_94(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 10:18:17 PM
scrappybristol posted...
Hyper Beam on everything.

Lol to be fair, hyper beam on everything in Gen I was godly (I only found out this past summer that hyper beam was glitched and you don't have to recharge if you KO a pokemon). I also learned that Slash had a 100% critical hit rate on persian because crits were determined by base speed. I did a Tauros/ Persian only playthrough on Yellow this summer after finding this out. I also did a playthrough of Blue where I got all 151 pokemon through glitches (no external devices) and no trading and felt very accomplished.
---
#7Gsus_94(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 10:21:02 PM(edited)
RandomAc1206 posted...
At the way beginning with Pokemon Blue, I used to think stat-boosting moves were permanent, and I specifically remember Aerodactyl with Agility.

I used to think the move "Cut" would do extra damage against Grass-type Pokemon. I also thought the moves Bite and Crunch would do extra damage to "fish" Pokemon, because it's like you're eating fish.

I never used Legendary Pokemon, aside from Suicune and Ho-oh.

I also used to "pinch" the Pokeball onscreen after I threw it, thinking that it could help somehow.

I thought Ghost was a Special Attack-based type before the split happened in Gen IV.

I used to think that using stat-lowering moves like tail whip on wild pokemon would increase my catch rate and that a certain button combination would help me catch pokemon better after throwing the ball haha.
---
#8SilverSaint7Posted 4/26/2013 10:21:12 PM
I didn't know that there were doors at first so I spent a good hour trapped in my house.

I also didn't know that I was supposed to save so I ended up starting over from the beginning everytime I played.
---
http://i.imgur.com/jnCZgwQ.gif
#9Zionnia7Posted 4/26/2013 10:25:46 PM
Hydro Pump/BubbleBeam/Surf/Some other water-type move on my fully evolved water-type starter.
---
http://www.abload.de/img/aonp7v.gif
#10FierceDeity1026Posted 4/26/2013 10:31:20 PM
Gsus_94 posted...
I used to think that using stat-lowering moves like tail whip on wild pokemon would increase my catch rate

I still do this for good luck =P With legendaries that have abysmal catch rates, I try to lower as many stats as I can before hurling Pokeballs