This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Stupid things you used to do when you were younger/ new to pokemon

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Stupid things you used to do when you were younger/ new to pokemon

User Info: Gsus_94

Gsus_94
3 years ago#1
For example, when I was a kid and played pokemon yellow, I would teach Pikachu thundershock, thunderbolt, and thunder and thought It was good. I also used to think that status changing moves (like screech, or swords dance) were terrible because that meant not having attacks that dealt damage. Also, I had nooooo idea that special/physical were NOT split in Gen III and before(so I would see the elemental punches on Alakazam and think those were terrible moves for him) and that special/physical were determined by type. I didn't realize this until they announced the split for Gen IV.

Your turn :)
Black FC: 4470 3989 3640
White 2 FC: 1979 7990 6311 (Use this one unless specified)

User Info: scrappybristol

scrappybristol
3 years ago#2
Hyper Beam on everything.
I'm a jukebox hero.

User Info: zombiabsol

zombiabsol
3 years ago#3
In soul silver, for my first playthrough of a pokemon game.

I defeated pryce and realized I couldn't pass the rage candy bar guy. It took me days to realize that I had to go to goldenrod city, and because over those days I was exploring figuring out what to do in my first game, I ended up with a level 60 something nidoking from the day care center xD.

Him and meganium were bossness.
(PSN:zombiabsol3) RE6 and PASBR <3
Waiting for: Remember Me, The last of Us, and Pokemon X.

User Info: SilverSock

SilverSock
3 years ago#4
I absolutely refused to use any Pokemon that didn't evolve at some point.

Actually I still have a little bias in favoring Pokemon that do evolve, but not at all to the same intensity.
I summoned a baby to attract a lion. It didn't seem to work, so I tried a delicious baby.
Regular baby ATE delicious baby. Horror....horror.~Gameplayingperson

User Info: RandomAc1206

RandomAc1206
3 years ago#5
At the way beginning with Pokemon Blue, I used to think stat-boosting moves were permanent, and I specifically remember Aerodactyl with Agility.

I used to think the move "Cut" would do extra damage against Grass-type Pokemon. I also thought the moves Bite and Crunch would do extra damage to "fish" Pokemon, because it's like you're eating fish.

I never used Legendary Pokemon, aside from Suicune and Ho-oh.

I also used to "pinch" the Pokeball onscreen after I threw it, thinking that it could help somehow.

I thought Ghost was a Special Attack-based type before the split happened in Gen IV.

Gsus_94
3 years ago#6
scrappybristol posted...
Hyper Beam on everything.

Lol to be fair, hyper beam on everything in Gen I was godly (I only found out this past summer that hyper beam was glitched and you don't have to recharge if you KO a pokemon). I also learned that Slash had a 100% critical hit rate on persian because crits were determined by base speed. I did a Tauros/ Persian only playthrough on Yellow this summer after finding this out. I also did a playthrough of Blue where I got all 151 pokemon through glitches (no external devices) and no trading and felt very accomplished.

Gsus_94
3 years ago#7
RandomAc1206 posted...
At the way beginning with Pokemon Blue, I used to think stat-boosting moves were permanent, and I specifically remember Aerodactyl with Agility.

I used to think the move "Cut" would do extra damage against Grass-type Pokemon. I also thought the moves Bite and Crunch would do extra damage to "fish" Pokemon, because it's like you're eating fish.

I never used Legendary Pokemon, aside from Suicune and Ho-oh.

I also used to "pinch" the Pokeball onscreen after I threw it, thinking that it could help somehow.

I thought Ghost was a Special Attack-based type before the split happened in Gen IV.

I used to think that using stat-lowering moves like tail whip on wild pokemon would increase my catch rate and that a certain button combination would help me catch pokemon better after throwing the ball haha.

User Info: SilverSaint7

SilverSaint7
3 years ago#8
I didn't know that there were doors at first so I spent a good hour trapped in my house.

I also didn't know that I was supposed to save so I ended up starting over from the beginning everytime I played.
http://i.imgur.com/jnCZgwQ.gif

User Info: Zionnia7

Zionnia7
3 years ago#9
Hydro Pump/BubbleBeam/Surf/Some other water-type move on my fully evolved water-type starter.
http://www.abload.de/img/aonp7v.gif

User Info: FierceDeity1026

FierceDeity1026
3 years ago#10
Gsus_94 posted...
I used to think that using stat-lowering moves like tail whip on wild pokemon would increase my catch rate

I still do this for good luck =P With legendaries that have abysmal catch rates, I try to lower as many stats as I can before hurling Pokeballs
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Stupid things you used to do when you were younger/ new to pokemon

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived