This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

About to start Pokemon White 1..

#1BrayWyattPosted 4/27/2013 5:45:13 AM
I don't really like any of the gen 5 starters at all. Should I box my starter? If so what should I pick up early game and use as a starter?

thanks for helping me with this tough decision.
---
Believe in Bray Wyatt
#2LexifoxPosted 4/27/2013 6:00:12 AM
If you want a strong Grass Pokemon, around the second gym you'll get access to Petilil (limited movepool, but can status the enemy and stat up to murder everything) and Sewaddle (Bug/Grass, good Speed and Attack, reasonable movepool).

If you want a strong Fire Pokemon, after the third gym you'll get access to Darumaka, who is a bit of an iffy Pokemon until it evolves. After it evolves it will eat enemy Pokemon.

Water is harder to replace, but if you choose Snivy you can get a reasonably strong (albeit fragile) Panpour, and around the second gym you can get Tympole, who evolves into a nice and average Water/Ground.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#3SuperRup91Posted 4/27/2013 6:07:00 AM
samurott makes an excellent hm slave...since all 3 gen 5 starters are terrible, that is the best you can ask for...so go with the otter.
#4Minjo26Posted 4/27/2013 6:14:37 AM
As far as I remember there isn't much early selection of decent Pokemon in 1. 2 is much better imo for the sole reason of a huge number of great Pokemon you can catch very early on.
#5FierceDeity1026Posted 4/27/2013 6:21:48 AM
I don't get why Samurott gets so much hate for in-game. He has high special attack, is pretty bulky, and has okay speed. Maybe he's outclassed competitively, but as a starter, he does a good job. But if you don't like his design, well then there's nothing I can say there.
#6BrayWyatt(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 7:21:31 AM
Went ahead with Snivy bc Serperior looks cooler than Emboar or Samurott.

Been using my monkey more than Snivy though :\
---
Believe in Bray Wyatt