This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People who refer to Ash as 'Satoshi'...

#51RingsOfUranusPosted 4/27/2013 8:51:10 PM
peteyboo posted...
Why can't you say that the Japanese VA is better than the English ones if you don't speak Japanese? .

what is this I don't even
---
Pokemon White 2 FC: 1636-3783-8366
Ipsylos: Psyduck easily is the best representation of Christianity on Pokemon period.
#52peteybooPosted 4/27/2013 8:54:34 PM
Did you even read the last part of my post?

Let's go back to Azumanga Daioh. Osaka speaks with an Osakan dialect, which of course makes sense. When translated to English, they made her speak with a southern drawl, which conflicts massively with the rest of her character. Why is it worthy of insult, then, to prefer the Japanese version?
---
Gee, it sure is boring around here. *rolls eyes*
Let's Play Zelda: Skyward Sword and a bunch of other games http://www.youtube.com/user/peteyboo
#53ReachOutToTruthPosted 4/27/2013 9:03:06 PM
peteyboo posted...
Did you even read the last part of my post?

Let's go back to Azumanga Daioh. Osaka speaks with an Osakan dialect, which of course makes sense. When translated to English, they made her speak with a southern drawl, which conflicts massively with the rest of her character. Why is it worthy of insult, then, to prefer the Japanese version?

You're not understanding the root of the argument.

Nobody is saying i's wrong to prefer the original. People are just tired of dub-bashing.

Also, how does a southern accent conflict with Osaka's character? You can't really localize an Osakan dialect, and honestly I think her voice fits. it's not southern belle, it's not redneck, it's really soft, airy, and "out there". Given the way she acts in the show I say her voice is fine, though it has more to do with the way the actress emotes her lines rather than the accent itself lending anything to the performance.
---
<3 and (/|\) !
http://i.imgur.com/khPxrAW.png
#54TherianReturnsPosted 4/27/2013 9:05:09 PM
lol not-so-gifted prefers Japanese productions over English (what he or she speaks) obsessed with Japan much? XD
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. If you can't accept this, take your jealousy away from my presence.
#55PkmTrainerAbramPosted 4/27/2013 9:05:43 PM
I'm not even bothering with the idiotcy of bashing people for not wanting to be ignorant of other languages. Not worth my time.

The anime is aimed at kids, but that's no excuse for the state it's fallen into. There is no good reason to keep the same main character, if you are going to retcon him, for the sake of the new generation of kids. If the point is to make him relateable to kids and not care about the older demographic, then there is no problem with changing him/her, because after all, the older fans would have moved on, right?

And that's just one of the problems and it's not even the biggest one. The whole staff needs to get replaced. Keep the animators, the music staff, ditch the writters. Because retconing stuff and then bring it up later on when it's convenient has got to be more work than being consistent. Makes no sense.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon LeafGreen(JPN) (blitz living Dex run COMPLETE), Pokemon HeartGold(JPN) run 470/493
#56peteybooPosted 4/27/2013 9:07:47 PM
ReachOutToTruth posted...
You're not understanding the root of the argument.

The root of the argument is as follows

People who claim Japanese subs are better than English dubs are the most irrational of weaboos.

It's kind of hard to misunderstand that.

Also, how does a southern accent conflict with Osaka's character? You can't really localize an Osakan dialect, and honestly I think her voice fits. it's not southern belle, it's not redneck, it's really soft, airy, and "out there". Given the way she acts in the show I say her voice is fine, though it has more to do with the way the actress emotes her lines rather than the accent itself lending anything to the performance.

I'll have to disagree by saying that her lines are the parts that fit instead of the voice.
---
Gee, it sure is boring around here. *rolls eyes*
Let's Play Zelda: Skyward Sword and a bunch of other games http://www.youtube.com/user/peteyboo
#57GiftedACIIIPosted 4/28/2013 6:51:13 PM
Only internet nerds use the term weeaboos. No one outside of the internet culture even knows that term. To them, being obsessed with anime is the same thing as being obsessed with comic books. It's this kind of revolving door nerd thing. Some comic book nerds mock the anime fans because to them anime is somehow even more nerdy while some anime fans think comic books are the nerdy ones.
#58Capitan_KidPosted 4/28/2013 11:11:27 PM
Only a weaboo would say Satoshi. He's Ash!
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
Official Husband of Nowi
#59GiftedACIIIPosted 4/29/2013 12:29:59 AM
Capitan_Kid posted...
Only a weaboo would say Satoshi. He's Ash!

lmfao this is coming from someone who believes he's married to a fictional character. It's another one of those joke posters.