This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just learned that I'm TERRIBLE at competitive play. Any tips?

#1pyroman93Posted 4/27/2013 12:10:58 PM
So I've been with pokemon since the beginning--the only generation I've skipped was BW/BW2. The other day I downloaded the Pokemon Showdown client only to find myself getting destroyed at every corner. I think I've won 1 game out of the 8 or so I've played so far.

Long story short, can anyone give me some advice? I play random battle, so I'm not doing any teambuilding--right now I just want to focus on the mechanics.

Thanks in advance!
---
"some times 12 year old are immature. i am that age and i never make dumb and stupid comments" - campeon625
My god is F-Zero GX
#2Thepenguinking2Posted 4/27/2013 12:17:10 PM
When battling in NU, Accupressure shuckles are amazing.
---
F*** Milotic. Lilligant is the real beauty pokemon.
The Official Shiny Zangoose of the X/y Board!
#3KeeperOfShadowsPosted 4/27/2013 12:22:57 PM
You can download Showdown?

Anyway, just keep at it, and pay attention to your opponents strategies.
---
Feel free to apply sarcasm tags if you didn't like my post.
#4IrisVilePosted 4/27/2013 12:29:28 PM
pyroman93 posted...
So I've been with pokemon since the beginning--the only generation I've skipped was BW/BW2. The other day I downloaded the Pokemon Showdown client only to find myself getting destroyed at every corner. I think I've won 1 game out of the 8 or so I've played so far.

Long story short, can anyone give me some advice? I play random battle, so I'm not doing any teambuilding--right now I just want to focus on the mechanics.

Thanks in advance!

I'd need to see some replays to really assess anything.

KeeperOfShadows posted...
You can download Showdown?

Anyway, just keep at it, and pay attention to your opponents strategies.

But this for the most part, but knowing what team you're going for helps.
---
Iris Vile, doesn't hale from Unova. IrisVile a rare flora that is pretty to look at but venomous. Ahahaha~
#5WindyligthPosted 4/27/2013 12:38:15 PM
A few of my friends just started competitive battling, and the thing they seem to have trouble with the most is knowing when to switch, and when to predict switches.

For example, say you're a flying type, and you know the opponent probably has an electric move. The smart thing to do would be to switch to a ground type. You get a free switch to something that can potentially counter the opponent. It's not this simple in practice, but that's the basic gist of it.

But yeah, we'd need to see a few replays.
---
I am here to promote the discussion and appreciation of Fennekin.
#6CrabhammarPosted 4/27/2013 12:54:15 PM
PREDICTION. It is KEY to winning.

Just try to visualize how your opponent would react and capitalize on that (ex. You have a Latios w/ HP Ice, Substitute, Calm Mind and Psychic, the opponent has an Infernape out and a Garchomp waiting in the wings. He's not going to suicidally leave his Nape in with a Psychic type in, so you use HP Ice as he switches to Garchomp and decimate it. Another way to capitalize would be using Substitute; this allows you to get a free Calm Mind or HP Ice before Chomp can break the sub).
---
assets18.pokemon.com/assets/cms/img/video-games/pokemonxy/characters/pokemonxy_froakie.jpg
#7PK_GamingPosted 4/27/2013 12:54:28 PM
Practice, practice, practice.

There's no shortcut to getting better, you need to play the game to get good at it(A couple of matches won't cut it). Feel free to check out Smogon for their indepth strategies on Pokemon.

(lol I feel so dirty)
---
Everything that bores me has gotta go!
~Yosuke
#8Dr Edward RoivasPosted 4/27/2013 1:32:29 PM
The biggest difference between the single-player game and playing competitive, is the switching. When to switch, when to not switch, all sorts of tricks and risks involved in changing your Pokemon.

It's easy to be bad at first, why?- Because GameFreak hasn't come anywhere near developing an AI that resembles human strategies. And cohesive teams with ambitious tactics.
---
Tie it on, in your mind. It's your Noctourniquet.
#9pyroman93(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 2:20:41 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone! Below is a replay of one of my recent matches. I won, but it wasn't the cleanest victory and I got away with some pretty foolish mistakes. If anyone wants to critique my strategy or point out things I got right or wrong, I'd appreciate it!

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/randombattle-16264615
(I'm the hiker btw)
---
"some times 12 year old are immature. i am that age and i never make dumb and stupid comments" - campeon625
My god is F-Zero GX
#10KyrieIrvingPosted 4/27/2013 2:28:29 PM
pyroman93 posted...
Thanks for the tips everyone! Below is a replay of one of my recent matches. I won, but it wasn't the cleanest victory and I got away with some pretty foolish mistakes. If anyone wants to critique my strategy or point out things I got right or wrong, I'd appreciate it!

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/randombattle-16264615
(I'm the hiker btw)

Hey man, nice battle!

Some obvious mistakes were using Aqua Tail on Dewott and not using Tbolt right away on Dewgong., but I'm sure you know that already. I think you could have used Will-o-Wisp on the Shedinja before using Hidden Power since every Shedinja will have a Focus Sash.
Overall, nice playing, but your opponent was pretty bad.
---
http://i.minus.com/iblIlT6HgFdYeW.gif