This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just learned that I'm TERRIBLE at competitive play. Any tips?

#11Mewtwo_soulPosted 4/27/2013 1:29:01 PM
1) Don't give up over a few failures. Trust me learning key predictions, match ups, and overall stat advantage vs. your set up are great things to keep track of.

2) Don't expect to always be right, and don't be afraid to trust your instinct. An odd play can sometimes beat a "good" or "expected" play more often than not, and if you make a "bad' play don't instantly believe you're going to lose, because it may just save you due to prediction failure on your opponent.

3) Always recheck where you made a mistake. Is there something you can correct in future scenarios that are similar, or learn from that one mistake that costed you the game? Then keep making sure to take it into account.

4)Mix and match, don't be afraid to test a team set up, even if one team set up doesn't work doesn't instantly mean its your fault. Find a team that you feel competent with.

5)Don't copy and paste teams. That will not improve your abilities, or teach you how to correctly use said team. Use them as a reference, not as a solution.

6) Practice, practice, practice,... It makes perfect. (or at least as close as possible in this metagame.)
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#12pyroman93(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 1:43:48 PM
KyrieIrving posted...
pyroman93 posted...
Thanks for the tips everyone! Below is a replay of one of my recent matches. I won, but it wasn't the cleanest victory and I got away with some pretty foolish mistakes. If anyone wants to critique my strategy or point out things I got right or wrong, I'd appreciate it!

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/randombattle-16264615
(I'm the hiker btw)

Hey man, nice battle!

Some obvious mistakes were using Aqua Tail on Dewott and not using Tbolt right away on Dewgong., but I'm sure you know that already. I think you could have used Will-o-Wisp on the Shedinja before using Hidden Power since every Shedinja will have a Focus Sash.
Overall, nice playing, but your opponent was pretty bad.

Thanks for the advice! I think my biggest problem right now is understanding items and item use--it's just one thing that's totally alien to the single player experience. Anyway, I'm starting to have a lot of fun, so I think I'll keep at it. :)

Victory Road, here I come.
---
"some times 12 year old are immature. i am that age and i never make dumb and stupid comments" - campeon625
My god is F-Zero GX
#13JiggsMasterPosted 4/27/2013 1:44:48 PM
My advice: Don't play competitively. You're welcome
---
I don't listen to authority when authority is filled with dumbasses
#14pokemonfreak97Posted 5/1/2013 12:43:24 PM
JiggsMaster posted...

Not really advice; he wanted tips on how to get better. I personally suggest playing Random Battle to get a feel for a lot of different strategies; whether it be the Pokémon you get or the ones your opponents have, you'll see a lot of interesting stuff.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#15fallenKlNGPosted 5/1/2013 1:14:45 PM
Go to smogon.com for beginner strategies, and use their movesets until you're good enough to come up with your own original ones. If you don't feel bad about it, go ahead and use entire teams posted on Smogon so that you can see what a well-developed team feels like, and so that you can get a good feel of what competitive battling is like.

It's really just all about practice. Just keep battling and it'll naturally come to you. When battling, I like to keep a smogon tab open so that I can predict someone's moveset if I see a Pokemon I'm not familiar with.
---
Wait I got it! Super Mario 3D Land will be in California and Super Mario 3D World will be in Florida. Zing! ~AloofGuyXXVII
#16AurawhispererPosted 5/1/2013 2:51:36 PM
What you should remember also TC are your top copy/paste pokes. Meaning 90% of the community uses the same poke for the same setup.

Here are the top copy/pastes

Cresselia: trick room, TW, icy wind
Hitnmotop (however you spell it) ALWAYS fakeout and CB with fight gem
Latios: draco meteor scarfed
Politoad: ice beam w/ toxic and scald
Landurus T: only for intimidate and rock slide
Thundurus: mostly to TW and HP ice
Rotom W: reflect, HP ice, hydro pump
And metagross: to wall almost anything

Learn this, and study it. Because you will encounter these ALOT
---
It's funny how so many immature imbeciles on here try hard hating me. You think I care, yet I don't.
Try harder kid. You amuse me :)
#17CakeOfLiesPosted 5/1/2013 3:05:37 PM
JiggsMaster posted...

What if I told you that Jigglypuff was viable in Uber?
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 4342-3001-3593.
#18Cpt_CalamityPosted 5/1/2013 3:07:35 PM
Aurawhisperer posted...
What you should remember also TC are your top copy/paste pokes. Meaning 90% of the community uses the same poke for the same setup.

Here are the top copy/pastes

Cresselia: trick room, TW, icy wind
Hitnmotop (however you spell it) ALWAYS fakeout and CB with fight gem
Latios: draco meteor scarfed
Politoad: ice beam w/ toxic and scald
Landurus T: only for intimidate and rock slide
Thundurus: mostly to TW and HP ice
Rotom W: reflect, HP ice, hydro pump
And metagross: to wall almost anything

Learn this, and study it. Because you will encounter these ALOT

This list is mostly wrong dude.

Anyways, just starting out I strongly suggest looking up every single one of the opponent's Pokemon on Smogon. This will give you a general idea of what kind of set they are most likely running. Remember pretty much all good teams have a scarfer, potentially even two (although that is rare).

And I'd recommend not starting out with Random Battles. Building teams with synergy (or if you want copying teams with synergy, though I'm not a fan of that) is the best way to learn what those Pokemon do. Also, Random is a clusterf***, Pokemon have random moves and items often.
---
Where is my desk?
#19AurawhispererPosted 5/1/2013 3:15:25 PM
@ cpt

Oh i was talking about random battle encounters. Sorry.

But as cpt says, it is a cluster piece of crap when it comes to random battles. Because most of everyone copy/pastes, which is what i listed
---
It's funny how so many immature imbeciles on here try hard hating me. You think I care, yet I don't.
Try harder kid. You amuse me :)
#20DarkDragon386Posted 5/1/2013 3:24:10 PM
pyroman93 posted...
Thanks for the tips everyone! Below is a replay of one of my recent matches. I won, but it wasn't the cleanest victory and I got away with some pretty foolish mistakes. If anyone wants to critique my strategy or point out things I got right or wrong, I'd appreciate it!

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/randombattle-16264615
(I'm the hiker btw)

Since I can't really say anything that hasn't been said; I'll help with this.

When you look at replays, don't just look at what you did wrong or right, look at what your opponent did wrong or right as well.

1) Something I've learned, always use the move that you know will finish the job or you might regret it (Dewott using waterfall, and the aqua jet and Eelektrik still living. With Dewott being faster, there was no reason not to use waterfall to finish Eelektrik)

2) This may not be the best advice, but in randbats don't be afraid to use a move like thunderbolt on a water, even though it might switch. You don't really lose anything if they switch into a ground. The only time I wouldn't suggest this is if you know they have a motor drive, water absorb, flash fire, storm drain, justified, sap sipper, or lightningrod Pokemon on their team.

3) No reason for that Drapion to use earthquake on Sunkern over crunch.

4) Don't try to score a status on something under a substitute

5) Like someone else said, you should have used thunderbolt right away on Dewgong

6) Always try to get residual damage on Shedinja. It will not be affected by the sash.

While some were your opponent's mistakes, I think you can learn just as much from those as your own mistakes.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)