This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just learned that I'm TERRIBLE at competitive play. Any tips?

#21Marcx629Posted 5/1/2013 4:42:55 PM(edited)
Don't be afraid to use smogon. A lot of people hate it, but it's a good tool.

You can find out some good movesets or strategies for your Pokemon, how to cover your Pokemon's weaknesses/checks/counters, and you have an idea how to take out Pokemon that the opponent might use. Just don't be afraid to try out your own things. Just because smogon doesn't list a strategy you want to try out, or showdown doesn't think a move is viable enough, doesn't mean you can't make it work. My Alakazam is one of my best Pokemon, and I use a lot of moves that smogon wouldn't recommend.

Having Serebii tabbed is also nice just in case you need a quick recap on what you're fighting. Just try to be quick. No one likes when their opponent takes 45 seconds each turn to make a move.

It also helps to just battle your friends for a while. I have skype calls with my friends when we decide to go all out on showdown. We give tips to each other and suggest moves to use when we're watching one of us battle.
---
In case of a Zombie Apocalypse, follow me!
Add my 3DS FC: 2535-4356-9059 Name:Marcx
#22DarkDragon386Posted 5/1/2013 5:06:11 PM
Aurawhisperer posted...
@ cpt

Oh i was talking about random battle encounters. Sorry.

But as cpt says, it is a cluster piece of crap when it comes to random battles. Because most of everyone copy/pastes, which is what i listed

They can't really help it if that's what they get in random battles.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#23DarkDragon386Posted 5/1/2013 5:25:54 PM
Most common stuff

Scizor
Technician
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite/U Turn
-Pursuit/Aerial Ace/Acrobatics
-Swords Dance

Starmie
Natural Cure
-Thunder(bolt)
-Ice Beam
-Surf/Hydro Pump
-Recover/Rapid Spin/Psychic/Psyshock

Blissey
Natural Cure
-Toxic/Thunder Wave
-Seismic Toss
-Aromatherapy
-Softboiled

Skarmory
Sturdy
-Whirlwind
-Spikes
-Roost
-Brave Bird/Taunt

Terrakion
Justified
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-X Scissor

Those are some threats I see often.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#24AurawhispererPosted 5/1/2013 5:29:27 PM
I forgot terrakion. The others though, not as much.

Also correction. Users in fact uses draco meteor latios with dragon gem more times than scarfed
---
It's funny how so many immature imbeciles on here try hard hating me. You think I care, yet I don't.
Try harder kid. You amuse me :)
#25DarkDragon386Posted 5/1/2013 6:00:42 PM
Aurawhisperer posted...
I forgot terrakion. The others though, not as much.

Also correction. Users in fact uses draco meteor latios with dragon gem more times than scarfed

So you're telling me bullet punch Scizor is less common than Hitmontop and Cresselia?
---
#26AurawhispererPosted 5/1/2013 6:04:54 PM
Yes. But i mostly play doubles
---
It's funny how so many immature imbeciles on here try hard hating me. You think I care, yet I don't.
#27InhaledCornPosted 5/1/2013 6:12:04 PM
Aurawhisperer posted...
Yes. But i mostly play doubles

Doubles and Singles are two completely different animals, dude.

What works well in one might not work so great in the other.
---
3DS FC: 2578-3118-6645 PSN: PowahBoxers
*headdesk* what a time to have no money...
#28AurawhispererPosted 5/1/2013 6:26:57 PM
Well then tc, i was speaking doubles. I dont do singles on random. Only on here (which is extremely rare)

But at least i gace you a heads up about doubles. They arent fun on randoms
---
#29GiftedACIIIPosted 5/2/2013 8:41:42 PM
pokemonfreak97 posted...
JiggsMaster posted...
My advice: Don't play competitively. You're welcome

Not really advice; he wanted tips on how to get better. I personally suggest playing Random Battle to get a feel for a lot of different strategies; whether it be the Pokémon you get or the ones your opponents have, you'll see a lot of interesting stuff.

Check the username.

Anyways, people who don't try competitive are just noobs who lack the intelligence to do so I commend you TC for trying!
#30DarkDragon386Posted 5/3/2013 9:45:58 AM
This may be a terrible real world analogy to you, but I'm going to attempt one.

A few years ago, my mom got a pool table for her store. My friends and I loved that thing, but we were bad at it. So, to make us less bad at it, we played pool several times. Occasionally, one of us would be up by a few balls and sometimes my friends would quit when it looked unwinnable. However, I wouldn't ever quit no matter how bad it looked for a few reasons.

Experience and practice being one. The other reason may be that I would occasionally mount a comeback and start to run the table on my opponent. Sometimes after the game was done, there would be a few balls left on the table. My friends, for whatever reason, would like to roll the balls into the pockets. Instead, I would still keep "playing" and try to sink the remaining balls. I'm not one to brag, but I usually beat my friends about 80-90% of the time. I like to attribute it to practice and not quitting when things looked bad.

Sorry for the life story, but I thought it may seem appropriate.

And, there is this. It's a double battle, but I think it illustrates my point.

http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles-16003420

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent7764741
---