This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Effectiveness of Poison types in relation to other types should stay the same.

#11trinityEDGEPosted 4/28/2013 9:10:34 AM(edited)
Human-Bean posted...
jayman7 posted...
What a ridiculous argument. Do you think they should also have left Psychic with only very weak moves as weaknesses when moving into the second gen so as not to alienate fans?

Your argument is ridiculous. New types were introduced in Generation two in order to reduce the strength of Psychic types when battling. The relationship between existing types remained the same. Yes generation one had pathetic Bug and, Ghost based moves but, Generation two attempted to rectify the situation by introducing Pokémon who were better equiped to deal with aforementioned threat but, not by changing the basic formula.

First, just because they didn't change the existing types, the basic formula was still changed. Even if its purpose was to balance out types, the new types paved a way for an entirely new metagame. They added new factors to the formula, which is still changing it. And you're perfectly fine with balancing the types, so changing poison's effectiveness should have no other problem besides "alienating fans due to change" which brings me to my second point:

Change has already happened in Pokemon that is much more "alienating" than a change in type effectiveness. To make poison more potent, you just change resistances and weaknesses around. But Pokemon had so much changes that were much more groundbreaking. Never mind the gen 2's new types; its obvious that it was a big change. There was also a special split, which completely changed mechanics. The physical/special split is probably the biggest, most alienating change in the history of Pokemon because you'd have to relearn a lot of things! Weather, entry hazards, doubles/triples/etc, abilities, natures, EVs, and a lot of other things have shook both the meta and the normal game very much, though to latter much less.

"But the meta doesn't have to matter! The normal game is what most people play, and they will be alienated."

I was clueless when the physical/special split happened, but the game was easy enough for me without memorizing half of the type chart, not knowing even base stats, using the Pokemon I liked, and slapping on any move. I've seen my little cousins do that as well, and my classmates too. If you're a casual player, it simply won't matter. Adjusting to the effectiveness of poison against other Pokemon is nothing compared to just 40% of what a new generation brings.

EDIT:
Volcarona does not take advantage of its type at all. If Volc changed its typing, it would be very happy, actually. It has a decent ability, a strong movepool, and crazy good stats. The only good thing that the bug typing gives is Quiver Dance, but really, IMO Volc would be just as good if it had a better typing than bug. Scizor also benefits from great stats and a great ability. STAB U-turn is just a bonus; though it probably doesn't gain much from a retyping, it doesn't lose much. The only real benefit it gets is the said STAB and ground neutrality.
#12Dr Edward RoivasPosted 4/28/2013 9:02:42 AM
Perhaps Poison types should be able to inflict Poison more easily than other Pokemon. Unfortunately, everyone learns Toxic.
---
Tie it on, in your mind. It's your Noctourniquet.
#13Great_ReapettePosted 4/28/2013 9:12:34 AM
Fire burns more easily
Ice freezes more easily
Electric paralyses more easily
Poison poisons more easily
Love dies more easily
Grass confuses more easily (lolgrass)
Water does nothing more easily
And I can't think of what type puts others to sleep more easily

Oh btw the above (except Love) are against the enemy.
---
Anatidaephobia is the fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you, staring into your soul, using its duckiness.
QUACK.
#14NintendoFan2000Posted 4/28/2013 9:48:21 AM
Poison is the damage over time type, you're not supposed to use it in an offensive role, it's like how Steel is the tank type.
---
I'd put a quip here, but I'm not hilarious enough.
#15scraadinPosted 4/28/2013 9:52:42 AM
Poison actually received a couple nerfs going into Gen 2. It wasn't just that the new Steel type was immune. Back in first gen, Bug was weak to poison, and now it's neutral.

Fun fact: Poison was the most common type in Gen 1. There were over thirty different poison types, so 1:5 species was poisonous.
---
The answer to "Why not?" is always Wobbuffet.
#16Rad_DudesmanPosted 4/28/2013 10:00:53 AM
The relationship between existing types remained the same.

Wrong.

Bug lost its weakness to Poison.

Poison lost its weakness to Bug and became resistant to it.

Psychic lost its immunity to Ghost and became weak to it.

Fire became resistant to Ice. (Yeah, it actually didn't resist Ice in Gen 1.)
#17AnclationPosted 4/28/2013 10:45:21 AM
trinityEDGE posted...
Volcarona does not take advantage of its type at all. If Volc changed its typing, it would be very happy, actually. It has a decent ability, a strong movepool, and crazy good stats. The only good thing that the bug typing gives is Quiver Dance, but really, IMO Volc would be just as good if it had a better typing than bug.

Actually, the Bug-typing is one of the reasons Volcarona is such a good sweeper, since it resists fighting-type moves (meaning Life Orb Breloom won't be able to put an end to its sweep with Mach Punch). Resisting both Bullet Punch and Mach Punch is pretty damn useful for an OU sweeper. Bug is also a decent attacking type, hitting lots of Fire resisters hard, and Bug Buzz is a strong and reliable STAB move. And of course, Quiver Dance is the reason Volcarona is OU in the first place, so that's hardly a small benefit of its typing.

BTW, TC's post is just plain silly. Disrupting the existing balance is what keeps the metagame from becoming stale, giving rise to both new offensive threats and new walls. Does Curselax dominating OU for 13 years sound like fun to you?
#18Thepenguinking2Posted 4/28/2013 10:47:37 AM
Do not change poison. Keep it the crappy type it is.
---
F*** Milotic. Lilligant is the real beauty pokemon.
The Official Shiny Zangoose of the X/y Board!
#19ShanoaPosted 4/28/2013 10:47:42 AM
Your argument is pitiful to an obscene level.

By that logic we can say that Steel/Dark alienated fans, that EVs/IVs/Natures "alienate" fans, or physical/special split, or any big change made to the formula, really.