This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you like to quest for Legendaries?

#1Issa_5Posted 4/28/2013 1:03:18 AM
Does going on in-depth quests for legendaries sound like a good idea to you? - Results (172 votes)
Yes.
52.33% (90 votes)
Yes, but only for particularly powerful/noteworthy ones.
38.95% (67 votes)
Don't really care.
5.23% (9 votes)
No thanks.
3.49% (6 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Hi guys, I was just thinking about how a lot of legendaries always feel somewhat unsatisfying to track down and fight. I know most of them typically have a two-minute long subquest to catch, but I think it would be really cool and add a sense of accomplishment to catching them if we had to really work for some of the overpowered ones. (naturally this excludes the version exclusives who get a lot of attention already!)

A couple of examples, just to give an idea of the scale I'm going for.

Mewtwo: Rocket Rampage

Still set deep within a cave, but this time the cave is crawling with Rocket grunts and the like each seeking to reclaim Mewtwo for their own nefarious schemes. At the end you have to fight a powerful admin to get to Mewtwo.

Darkrai and Cresselia: In Nightmares

After saving the little boy from Darkrai with the Lunar Wing, you suddenly feel incredibly drowsy and fall asleep where you stand. When you wake up, everything is exactly as it was except you cannot leave the city and everyone seems to be acting suspiciously. At the edge of the screen you can occasionally see unnatural shadows or a blue eye watching you.

The shadows begin to attack you-you cannot fight back, but before you are hit Cresselia warps in and defends you. You wake up where you collapsed, but hear a cry of pain. You exit the building to see Darkrai floating above Cresselia. Darkrai dissipates and Cresselia runs away. Cresselia is now a runner as she was before, but to catch Darkrai you have to catch Cresselia and use her to cure the nightmares of dreaming people (one in each gym city). To cure, simply interact with the sleeper with Cresslia in your party. Once you've saved them all, Darkrai will manifest and attack you in a rage.

Err, that was longer than I had expected, sorry guys.

Arceus would probably have the most difficult quest of all, perhaps forcing the player to collect pieces of the Azure Flute scattered across the region, put them together, and then fight uncatchable illusions of the Dragon Trio in a triple battle before finally ascending to the Hall of Origin to battle it.

Sorry if this kind of idea has been stated before, hope someone likes it! :)
#2KyrieIrvingPosted 4/28/2013 1:04:35 AM
This actually sounds good.
---
http://i.minus.com/iblIlT6HgFdYeW.gif
#3Jrx1Posted 4/28/2013 1:07:31 AM
Actually an original idea. I really like the Darkrai and Cresselia one.
---
Official Arceus of the Pokemon X and Y boards
~The God of Pokemon!~
#4FuneralCakePosted 4/28/2013 1:08:38 AM
As long as they're fun and interesting, sure. These games could use more sidequests.
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
http://i.imgur.com/nS4nrLB.gif
#5Issa_5(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 1:16:59 AM
Thanks guys! I was envisioning a sort of trippy 'horror-lite' theme for In Nightmares, lots of paranoia fuel, perhaps maybe a Gengar lurking in your shadow that jumps out at you etc. Maybe even taking cues from the distortion world.

Another one, since people seem to like the idea:

Deoxys: The Visitor

Quest starts off with a meteor shower announced on all the news stations. Team <so and so> have been sighted at the area. You go and investigate, only to be attacked by lots of grunts. Fight your way to the meteors, where you see a group scientists carrying off a meteor fragment. Follow them to a little lab, where they begin experimenting on mysterious DNA found in the meteor. One of them sees you and attacks you, but the battle causes the lab to be trashed and the machines malfunction. When the smoke clears, the scientists are all unconscious and Deoxys is standing in the midst of the destruction.You approach it, but if glows and disappears.

Enter Professor <tree>, who excitedly informs you that the creature you just saw was Deoxys, the super-rare DNA Pokemon. Return to the Meteor spot to fight Deoxys Speed Forme (uncatchable). At 1 HP it morphs into Attack Form and fully heals, then Defense Form and finally Normal Form. At 1 HP it reverts to speed form and makes a run for it. Catch it like you would a typical wandering pokemon.
#6FuneralCakePosted 4/28/2013 1:20:39 AM
Actually, I have another condition for this: NO WANDERING POKEMON.

Ever. They're the worst.
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
http://i.imgur.com/nS4nrLB.gif
#7JabbaTheGrifinPosted 4/28/2013 1:23:07 AM
Issa_5 posted...
Thanks guys! I was envisioning a sort of trippy 'horror-lite' theme for In Nightmares, lots of paranoia fuel, perhaps maybe a Gengar lurking in your shadow that jumps out at you etc. Maybe even taking cues from the distortion world.

Another one, since people seem to like the idea:

Deoxys: The Visitor

Quest starts off with a meteor shower announced on all the news stations. Team <so and so> have been sighted at the area. You go and investigate, only to be attacked by lots of grunts. Fight your way to the meteors, where you see a group scientists carrying off a meteor fragment. Follow them to a little lab, where they begin experimenting on mysterious DNA found in the meteor. One of them sees you and attacks you, but the battle causes the lab to be trashed and the machines malfunction. When the smoke clears, the scientists are all unconscious and Deoxys is standing in the midst of the destruction.You approach it, but if glows and disappears.

Enter Professor <tree>, who excitedly informs you that the creature you just saw was Deoxys, the super-rare DNA Pokemon. Return to the Meteor spot to fight Deoxys Speed Forme (uncatchable). At 1 HP it morphs into Attack Form and fully heals, then Defense Form and finally Normal Form. At 1 HP it reverts to speed form and makes a run for it. Catch it like you would a typical wandering pokemon.

Can someone else do more of these? I'm interested
---
It's supposed to be JabbaTheGriffin, but that was taken.
Self-Proclaimed Griffin of GameFAQs
#8Issa_5(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 1:27:58 AM(edited)
FuneralCake posted...
Actually, I have another condition for this: NO WANDERING POKEMON.

Ever. They're the worst.

Heh, fair enough. I hate them myself, but I got hit by writers block and it's the easiest way to pad out a quest. :P

In hindsight, the rage that most people would feel after beating 4 Deoxys only to be told 'nope, still can't catch it!' would be hilarious.

Also, I'd love it if other people came up with their own suggestions! The more the merrier. :D
#9TherianReturnsPosted 4/28/2013 2:53:34 AM
Yes. Doing long and obnoxious sidequest for event legends is the best idea.
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. If you can't accept this, take your jealousy away from my presence.
#10Issa_5(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 3:34:44 AM
Well, I suppose it's not for everyone. :)

Out of interest, is your objection to my ideas or to the concept? If it's the former, I'd love to hear your suggestions!