This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why char1zard isn't a dragon type.

#1Thepenguinking2Posted 4/29/2013 6:24:32 AM
Dragon-types are resistant to water, fire, grass and electric. Making it a dragon-type would make it double resist grass and fire, and it wouldn't make it weak to water. That would give charizard the unfair advantage.
---
F*** Milotic. Lilligant is the real beauty pokemon.
The Official Shiny Zangoose of the X/y Board!
#2BigFriendlyGunPosted 4/29/2013 6:41:21 AM
It's not dragon type because in Gen 1 dragon was reserved for the dragonite line, who were basically supposed to be endgame awesome boss type pokemon. Can't give the boss type to a starter.
---
http://i.imgur.com/WMLfo.gif http://i.imgur.com/c4YII.gif
#3CakeOfLiesPosted 4/29/2013 6:41:33 AM
Yup. That's exactly why.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Stunfisk is the epitome of monstrous majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.
#4Brandon042487Posted 4/29/2013 6:48:28 AM
Eh I don't care Charizard has a cool look.

But Blastoise is my favorite out of the Gen 1 starters.
---
<(x_x)>
#5Sir WillPosted 4/29/2013 7:28:15 AM
Thepenguinking2 posted...
Dragon-types are resistant to water, fire, grass and electric. Making it a dragon-type would make it double resist grass and fire, and it wouldn't make it weak to water. That would give charizard the unfair advantage.

...see Gen 4. Doesn't really matter beyond their first form and first type.

And if you're pitting your starter against the thing it's weak against, you're doing it wrong.
---
River Song: Well, I was off to this gay gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled when I thought 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish, I think i'll kill the Fuhrer'
#6pokemonfreak97Posted 4/29/2013 7:31:00 AM
There are three in-game types that are generally the strongest--Ghost, Dragon, and Steel. The only Steel-type starter ended up giving the rival's starter a Ground type to counter that. Dragon and Ghost have been avoided on starters. Also, in Gen I, the only Dragon-types were the (hard to find and catch in the Safari Zone, or expensive in the Game Corner) Dratini line.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#7jayman7Posted 4/29/2013 7:35:27 AM(edited)
Sir Will posted...
...see Gen 4. Doesn't really matter beyond their first form and first type.

I wonder if people who bring up the fourth gen have really examined their argument closely...

Torterra is weak to Infernape's Fire. Infernape is weak to Empoleon's Water. Empoleon may no longer be weak to Torterra's Grass, but Torterra is a Ground-type. Blastoise has no second type to use on Fire/Dragon.

There's also a bit of reverse-triangle thing going, though Empoleon has to resort to Ice Beam to hit Torterra - but then, Torterra has a double weakness to it, making it do even more damage than if Empoleon had a single weakness plus STAB. (and it's not like Ice on a penguin is much of a reach). While it would have been a lot cleaner if Empoleon was Water/Ice... that would require Empoleon to be an Ice-type.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#8nightblade_hawkPosted 4/29/2013 10:04:02 AM
Dragon Type was this "Special Type" you would only find in the Fight against the E4, unless you got lucky and caught a Dratini in the Safari Zone and then trained it (and got dissapointed once you realized how stupid it's Final Evolution looked).

It's clear that they couldn't make Charizard Fire/Dragon. That would've made the Dratini Line pretty useless if you could just get a Dragon Type by evolving one of the Starters. That's why Charizard is just Fire/Flying.
#9Davidk92Posted 4/29/2013 10:04:44 AM
BigFriendlyGun posted...
It's not dragon type because in Gen 1 dragon was reserved for the dragonite line, who were basically supposed to be endgame awesome boss type pokemon. Can't give the boss type to a starter.

This is by far the most likely explanation.
---
"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can't do."
~Walter Bagehot
#10reaverzPosted 4/29/2013 10:11:25 AM
jayman7 posted...
There's also a bit of reverse-triangle thing going, though Empoleon has to resort to Ice Beam to hit Torterra - but then, Torterra has a double weakness to it, making it do even more damage than if Empoleon had a single weakness plus STAB. (and it's not like Ice on a penguin is much of a reach). While it would have been a lot cleaner if Empoleon was Water/Ice... that would require Empoleon to be an Ice-type.

Yeah, I honestly feel that GameFreak noticed that Water/Ice would have made two perfect triangles (Empoleon would stay weak to Torterra's Grass and still be weak to Infernape's Fighting) but didn't want to give it the Ice-typing because they knew it would make it worse in general, which prompted them to give it the Steel typing.

My hunch is that GameFreak is actually more savvy about good types and bad types than we give them credit for. For one thing, I believe that Emboar was Fire/Fighting again because GameFreak noticed the impact of Stealth Rock last gen and didn't want the Fire starter to be weak to it.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]