This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My friend at school thinks Sylveon is a Steel type.

#21EnferolunosPosted 4/29/2013 12:04:45 PM
Arne83 posted...
Hejiru posted...
Davidk92 posted...
Rupin_Salesman posted...
Davidk92 posted...
Did he or she explain why?

He.

Because it sounds like "silver".

That is a foolish reasoning.

Personally I think it'll be Bug type.

Why do so many people think it will be Bug? In what universe does Sylveon look anything like a bug? There's nothing bug-like about it.

The bows look like butterfly wings and the ribbons seem to be very similar antennae.

"Very similar" is a stretch
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#22jayman7Posted 4/29/2013 12:08:34 PM(edited)
Hejiru posted...
Arne83 posted...

The bows look like butterfly wings and the ribbons seem to be very similar antennae.

That's pretty weak reasoning. Don't you think a Bug-type Eeveelution would actually look like a bug, not a furry mammal wearing vaguely-butterfly shaped bows? That would be like if Leafeon looked like Sylveon but with leaf-shaped bows.

Is this a serious attempt at a counterargument? That's essentially what Leafeon does look like: a mammal thing with leaf shapes on it.

The "Fairy" rumor makes me cringe significantly less after it's been pointed out that Fairy makes a surprisingly good Ghost counterpart (both supernatural spirits of very different natures), but barring new types I'm still going Bug.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#23BountyanPosted 4/29/2013 12:07:18 PM
Arne83 posted...
Bountyan posted...
CakeOfLies posted...
Bountyan posted...
CakeOfLies posted...
It's Flying.

It's Fairy.

Fairy type doesn't exist.

It will soon.

I'm gonna hold you to that.

Ok. Screen cap my post or save this thread and make a thread saying how wrong I was if I'm wrong. ;)
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#24Arne83Posted 4/29/2013 12:10:34 PM
Bountyan posted...
Arne83 posted...
Bountyan posted...
CakeOfLies posted...
Bountyan posted...
It's Fairy.

Fairy type doesn't exist.

It will soon.

I'm gonna hold you to that.

Ok. Screen cap my post or save this thread and make a thread saying how wrong I was if I'm wrong. ;)

That's the plan... also to keep bringing it up whenever I see you post.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
#25jayman7Posted 4/29/2013 12:12:23 PM
Anyway, literally the only piece of evidence in favor of Steel that I've seen is its English name (and not its Japanese name, Nymphia), so Steel is probably not it.
---
#26Davidk92Posted 4/29/2013 12:25:41 PM
Hejiru posted...
Why do so many people think it will be Bug? In what universe does Sylveon look anything like a bug? There's nothing bug-like about it.

Here's my logic, at least.

-The bows resemble butterfly wings and the ribbons resemble antennae, as mentioned.
-It's Japanese name, Nymphia, contains "nymph," which is an immature stage for insects.
-It's English name, Sylveon, might be from "Sylvan" which means "of the woods" which is were insects are found.
-Sylveon could also come from Parthenos Sylvia, a kind of butterfly.
-I've heard that in a piece of promotional material, Sylveon is represented by a symbol resembling one of the Bug-themed Gym badges, but I've not confirmed this myself yet.
-This one is more subjective, but I just feel Sylveon is as insect-like as an eeveelution can get while still resembling an eeveelution (DON'T POST THAT PIC).

Overall, I just see more evidence for Sylveon to be Bug-type than any other type. That's why I think it is.
---
"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can't do."
~Walter Bagehot
#27HejiruPosted 4/29/2013 12:27:20 PM
jayman7 posted...
Hejiru posted...
Arne83 posted...

That's pretty weak reasoning. Don't you think a Bug-type Eeveelution would actually look like a bug, not a furry mammal wearing vaguely-butterfly shaped bows? That would be like if Leafeon looked like Sylveon but with leaf-shaped bows.

Is this a serious attempt at a counterargument? That's essentially what Leafeon does look like: a mammal thing with leaf shapes on it.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/f/f5/470Leafeon.png
No, Leafeon literally has leaves growing out of it. Its ears and tail are made of leaves. It's incredibly obvious what type it is just by looking at it. A Bug-type Eeveelution would have something bug-like about it, like bug wings or pincers or a stinger or something. A couple of bows that look vaguely like butterflies is hardly a Bug-type design.
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#28jayman7Posted 4/29/2013 12:30:39 PM(edited)
Hejiru posted...
No, Leafeon literally has leaves growing out of it.

And Sylveon has antennae growing out of it. We've already seen in the Eeveelution short trailers that it can move those "ribbons" at will.

It's mammalian because all Eeveelutions are mammalian.
---
#29jayman7Posted 4/29/2013 12:32:34 PM
Davidk92 posted...
-The bows resemble butterfly wings and the ribbons resemble antennae, as mentioned.
-It's Japanese name, Nymphia, contains "nymph," which is an immature stage for insects.
-It's English name, Sylveon, might be from "Sylvan" which means "of the woods" which is were insects are found.
-Sylveon could also come from Parthenos Sylvia, a kind of butterfly.
-I've heard that in a piece of promotional material, Sylveon is represented by a symbol resembling one of the Bug-themed Gym badges, but I've not confirmed this myself yet.
-This one is more subjective, but I just feel Sylveon is as insect-like as an eeveelution can get while still resembling an eeveelution (DON'T POST THAT PIC).

All fine. And yes, I've seen the picture; it has a wing shape that is the same shape as the Insect Badge that Burgh gives.

Now, if the Fairy type exists, then Sylveon is obviously it, no question. If it doesn't, I'm seeing Bug as most likely. You don't? Fine. If David's post quoted here isn't enough, then I've got nothing more to add.
---
#30BountyanPosted 4/29/2013 12:33:12 PM
I've never seen antennae that look anything like the appendages Sylveon has.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo