This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My friend at school thinks Sylveon is a Steel type.

#31jayman7Posted 4/29/2013 12:34:42 PM
Bountyan posted...
I've never seen antennae that look anything like the appendages Sylveon has.

And I've never seen antennae that look like Volbeat's. Point?
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#32VegantoKeensPosted 4/29/2013 12:40:16 PM
It is a new type, Light, Cosmic, Fairy whatever it is that makes a gym be cosmos themed with light beams as paths and what makes Sylveon cast the same cosmos themed portals.
---
GMT + 1
PSN = William-Lake
#33BountyanPosted 4/29/2013 12:42:08 PM(edited)
jayman7 posted...
Bountyan posted...

There are plenty of insects that have long, thin, curly antennae like Volbeat's. They're obviously supposed to be antennae. But saying Sylveon's ribbons are antennae is a pretty damn big stretch. Are Accelgor's scarfs supposed to be antennae too? Or Cinccino's scarfs?
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#34HejiruPosted 4/29/2013 12:41:54 PM
Davidk92 posted...

-The bows resemble butterfly wings and the ribbons resemble antennae, as mentioned.
-It's Japanese name, Nymphia, contains "nymph," which is an immature stage for insects.
-It's English name, Sylveon, might be from "Sylvan" which means "of the woods" which is were insects are found.
-Sylveon could also come from Parthenos Sylvia, a kind of butterfly.
-I've heard that in a piece of promotional material, Sylveon is represented by a symbol resembling one of the Bug-themed Gym badges, but I've not confirmed this myself yet.
-This one is more subjective, but I just feel Sylveon is as insect-like as an eeveelution can get while still resembling an eeveelution (DON'T POST THAT PIC).

Overall, I just see more evidence for Sylveon to be Bug-type than any other type. That's why I think it is.

The name arguments fit Fairy-type just as easily as Bug-type if not more so. If they were designing a Bug-type Eeveelution, why would they use such an obscure name and design? And yes, the design could look like a bug-type badge, but that's because that badge looked like a wing. If you look at it, it could just as easily be a regular wing (Flying) or a Fairy wing, who are often depicted with insect-like wings.

I can see where you're coming from, but the Bug-type stuff is just WAY too much of a stretch.

And what picture are you talking about?

jayman7 posted...
Bountyan posted...

Volbeat's antennae actually look like antennae. It's obvious what animal Volbeat is designed to be. Sylveon's appendages are obviously designed to look like ribbons.

These Bug-type arguments only work if Game Freak is trying to be deliberately misleading with its design.

jayman7 posted...
Hejiru posted...
No, Leafeon literally has leaves growing out of it.

And Sylveon has antennae growing out of it. We've already seen in the Eeveelution short trailers that it can move those "ribbons" at will.

It's mammalian because all Eeveelutions are mammalian.

I'm sorry but those things look nothing like antennae. They're ribbons and bows. You guys are reading way too much into this.
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#35jayman7Posted 4/29/2013 12:43:41 PM(edited)
But here's my real question, though I sadly suspect I know the answer a few of you are going to try to shoehorn in, I'll just say in advance that if you use the argument I'm thinking of, I greatly disagree:

If the ribbons aren't meant to be butterfly (or maybe faerie) wings and antennae, why do they exist? Why would this extra superfluous detail be added to a Pokémon who is known for evolving to be representatives of various types?
---
#36Davidk92Posted 4/29/2013 12:44:39 PM
Hejiru posted...
The name arguments fit Fairy-type just as easily as Bug-type if not more so.

Ah, well, I'm basing my arguments based on currently existing types, since as far as I know the Fairy type is just a rumour so far. If it's eventually revealed to be real, I'll probably reconsider my arguments.

As for the picture, jayman seems to know about it. Could someone please post it so I can see this Gym Badge theory for myself?
---
"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can't do."
~Walter Bagehot
#37jayman7Posted 4/29/2013 12:46:55 PM(edited)
Davidk92 posted...
As for the picture, jayman seems to know about it. Could someone please post it so I can see this Gym Badge theory for myself?

If I can find it. Give me a minute.

EDIT: Found it.

http://www.serebii.net/hidden/sylveon.jpg

The wing shape is not 100% proof, but it's the same shape as the Insect Badge. (Of course, it could represent a bird or faerie wing, or just be decoration entirely.)
---
#38BountyanPosted 4/29/2013 12:46:08 PM
jayman7 posted...
But here's my real question, though I sadly suspect I know the answer a few of you are going to try to shoehorn in, I'll just say in advance that if you use the argument I'm thinking of, I greatly disagree:

If the ribbons aren't meant to be butterfly (or maybe faerie) wings and antennae, why do they exist? Why would this extra superfluous detail be added to a Pokémon who is known for evolving to be representatives of various types?

And I give you a counter question: If they're supposed to represent antennae, why do they look nothing like antennae and why did they give it an extra pair on its friggin neck? Even if it is a Bug type, putting more on its neck is superfluous detail anyway.
---
#39jayman7Posted 4/29/2013 12:49:28 PM(edited)
Bountyan posted...
And I give you a counter question: If they're supposed to represent antennae, why do they look nothing like antennae

Not my fault you can't see it.

and why did they give it an extra pair on its friggin neck? Even if it is a Bug type, putting more on its neck is superfluous detail anyway.

I actually have a possible answer to this one, but if you don't like the antennae answer, you're really not gonna like this one.

Hint: Sylveon has four legs. And two "ribbons" (which, remember, are actually part of its body) attached to its neck. Now... how many legs do insects have?

(And yes, you don't like it and it's a bit of a reach. There's a reason I don't mention this one much.)
---
#40BountyanPosted 4/29/2013 12:57:06 PM(edited)
jayman7 posted...

Not my fault you can't see it.

Nope. They just don't look like antennae.

jayman7 posted...

I actually have a possible answer to this one, but if you don't like the antennae answer, you're really not gonna like this one.

Hint: Sylveon has four legs. And two "ribbons" (which, remember, are actually part of its body) attached to its neck. Now... how many legs do insects have?

(And yes, you don't like it and it's a bit of a reach. There's a reason I don't mention this one much.)

So you're telling me they're legs now? Even though they look and act nothing like legs? Hahaha, wow. And to think some of you think the Fairy and Normal type arguments are a stretch.
---