This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why didn't they localize Pikachu's name?

#1Grand_BluePosted 4/29/2013 4:00:29 PM
Localization is when they translate a series into the language of where it will be released so that people can understand it (duh) but sometimes they even change names so that people can relate and remember them better. English speakers would better remember Bulbasaur than Fushigidane so why didn't they decide to call Pikachu something else like Ratzap?

I suck at coming up with names, but if Pikachu had a localized name what do you think it would be?
---
The Boondocks on Adult Swim is my favorite anime.
#2animesonicxPosted 4/29/2013 4:02:00 PM
Grand_Blue posted...
Localization is when they translate a series into the language of where it will be released so that people can understand it (duh) but sometimes they even change names so that people can relate and remember them better. English speakers would better remember Bulbasaur than Fushigidane so why didn't they decide to call Pikachu something else like Ratzap?

I suck at coming up with names, but if Pikachu had a localized name what do you think it would be?

PIKACHU!!! (you.. don't even start this)
---
official shiny gallade of the Pokemon boards
im a vampire masked blueberry swordsman. all your arguments are now in valid- name not known
#3DoctorJimmy133Posted 4/29/2013 4:08:40 PM
Since Pikachu was to be a mascot they decided to keep its name to make it more global and to bring people all over the world together blah blah blah
---
Why do I have to move with the crowd of kids that hardly notice I'm around? I work myself to death just to fit in.
#4HeyWheresKelPosted 4/29/2013 4:14:39 PM
The phonemes in "Pikachu" are soft and cute to match the cuteness of Pikachu. If they localized Pikachu to "Ratzap", which has harder sounds, it might not have been received well as a cute mascot. Especially when the Japanese voice actor for Pikachu did such a good job. Moreover, "Pikachu" doesn't sound overly Japanese, whereas "Fushigidane" certainly does.
---
"I see the way you look at him. I'm a man too, ya know? I go pee pee standing up!"
http://i.imgur.com/DtiOyo0.png
#5GoldenFantasyPosted 4/29/2013 4:36:59 PM
HeyWheresKel posted...
The phonemes in "Pikachu" are soft and cute to match the cuteness of Pikachu. If they localized Pikachu to "Ratzap", which has harder sounds, it might not have been received well as a cute mascot. Especially when the Japanese voice actor for Pikachu did such a good job. Moreover, "Pikachu" doesn't sound overly Japanese, whereas "Fushigidane" certainly does.

Only chu in Pikachu sounds remotely Asian. A pika is a small mammal found in North America.
---
Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants.
I don't see many ice giants around. - ff12and3rocks
#6kirbydude385Posted 4/29/2013 4:40:23 PM
GoldenFantasy posted...
HeyWheresKel posted...

Only chu in Pikachu sounds remotely Asian. A pika is a small mammal found in North America.

its pronounced differently though, like pie-kah (pie like the pie you eat)
---
Official Manectric and Creator of the B/W, BW2, and XY Boards Clan
Official Dawn of the BW2 Boards
Khaini: ImSooBipolar - 14x Luminous
#7TheWayofPiePosted 4/29/2013 5:19:16 PM
PIKACHU!
---
Ridley: *Adjusts monocole* Why, I've become civilized, my dear Samantha! Anyway, come, sit, have some tea. -Master_Warlord7 Same Time Posts: 8
#8NessEggmanPosted 4/29/2013 5:30:04 PM
Grand_Blue posted...
Localization is when they translate a series into the language of where it will be released so that people can understand it (duh)

This is only a fraction of what localization is. There's a lot more than just translation. And a lot of time, things are rewritten rather than translated.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I had thought "Zaprat" before opening this topic. I doubt I'm the first person to come up with that, but it sounds catchy enough and sounds kinda like a Pokemon name.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
#9Grand_Blue(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 6:16:34 PM
NessEggman posted...
Grand_Blue posted...
Localization is when they translate a series into the language of where it will be released so that people can understand it (duh)

This is only a fraction of what localization is. There's a lot more than just translation. And a lot of time, things are rewritten rather than translated.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I had thought "Zaprat" before opening this topic. I doubt I'm the first person to come up with that, but it sounds catchy enough and sounds kinda like a Pokemon name.

Me too, but I thought Ratzap would be easier to say.
---
The Boondocks on Adult Swim is my favorite anime.
#10WindyligthPosted 4/29/2013 6:19:53 PM
There's a difference between a rat and a mouse.
---
I am here to promote the discussion and appreciation of Fennekin.