This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

can someone bring me up to speed on this whole light type thing?

#1BabySh0esPosted 4/29/2013 8:04:27 PM
Seriously confused. I thought that's what the fighting type was in Japanese. I also thought the whole reason fighting>dark was due to the whole "honor" ,"dishonor" thing....so wouldn't the fairy type idea make more sense? I feel like the dark-fighting-psychic trio is enough already.
#2FuneralCakePosted 4/29/2013 8:06:08 PM
BabySh0es posted...
I thought that's what the fighting type was in Japanese.

Incorrect. Fighting type is still Fighting type in Japan.

I also thought the whole reason fighting>dark was due to the whole "honor" ,"dishonor" thing

Yes, only if you shoehorn convoluted logic into trying to make the type chart make sense.
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
stab slowly and let it die, this is the best life my money can buy
#3BabySh0es(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 8:09:35 PM
FuneralCake posted...
BabySh0es posted...

I also thought the whole reason fighting>dark was due to the whole "honor" ,"dishonor" thing

Yes, only if you shoehorn convoluted logic into trying to make the type chart make sense.

how is that convoluted logic? Most dark type pokemon look sinister and have moves that imply dirty fighting, where fighting type pokemon are basically martial artists for the most part. And as someone who has actually trained in a japanese martial art (judo), the whole honor thing is not BS
#4Arne83Posted 4/29/2013 8:10:25 PM
1) Fighting is Fighting in Japan.
2) Fighting vs Dark is more along the lines of... "someone that actually knows how to fight can easily beat someone that has to rely on cheap tricks in order to win".
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
#5ThatKippPosted 4/29/2013 8:11:47 PM
Dark=Evil, therefore Bug>Dark because Bug is your conscience.
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111126032032/disney/images/8/81/595154-jiminy1_super.jpg
---
Official Nate of the Pokemon X board with my pet Medicham and Victreebel
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725
#6NewMoonShadowPosted 4/29/2013 8:13:26 PM
BabySh0es posted...
FuneralCake posted...
BabySh0es posted...

how is that convoluted logic? Most dark type pokemon look sinister and have moves that imply dirty fighting, where fighting type pokemon are basically martial artists for the most part. And as someone who has actually trained in a japanese martial art (judo), the whole honor thing is not BS

Different martial arts have different disciplines, not all of them follow the same code of honor. Nor are all of the Fighting Type pokemon martial artists. The very first Fighting Types encountered in the series were a bodybuilder/wrestler archetype and a pissed off monkey.
#7BabySh0es(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 8:17:19 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
BabySh0es posted...
FuneralCake posted...
BabySh0es posted...

Different martial arts have different disciplines, not all of them follow the same code of honor. Nor are all of the Fighting Type pokemon martial artists. The very first Fighting Types encountered in the series were a bodybuilder/wrestler archetype and a pissed off monkey.

Wrestling is one of the oldest martial arts FYI. The monkey has boxing gloves to be fair as well. Also keep in mind this is a JAPANESE game. Show me a traditional Japanese martial art that doesn't have some sort of honor system. As someone who has trained in Muay Thai and Boxing as well I am very aware that not all martial arts follow some code of honor, but Judo, the various forms of Karate, Aikido, and Jiu-Jitsu all do.
#8Holy_OblivionPosted 4/29/2013 8:19:13 PM
BabySh0es posted...
FuneralCake posted...
BabySh0es posted...

It's funeralcake. Do yourself a favor and just block him. BIggest troll I've seen in along time.
---
Visit my youtube page for game and anime vlogs, and plenty of other stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BaoZakeruga?show_guided_help=1
#9FuneralCakePosted 4/29/2013 8:21:13 PM(edited)
BabySh0es posted...

It's convoluted logic because the types have to be twisted in order to make it work.

Dark type goes from "evil" to "dishonorable, dirty fighters" and Fighting type goes from "fighting" to "the embodiment of honor."

Holy_Oblivion posted...
It's funeralcake. Do yourself a favor and just block him. BIggest troll I've seen in along time.

lol

I'll take that as a compliment, thanks.
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
stab slowly and let it die, this is the best life my money can buy
#10NewMoonShadowPosted 4/29/2013 8:26:23 PM
BabySh0es posted...
Wrestling is one of the oldest martial arts FYI. The monkey has boxing gloves to be fair as well. Also keep in mind this is a JAPANESE game. Show me a traditional Japanese martial art that doesn't have some sort of honor system. As someone who has trained in Muay Thai and Boxing as well I am very aware that not all martial arts follow some code of honor, but Judo, the various forms of Karate, Aikido, and Jiu-Jitsu all do.

Mankey doesn't have boxing gloves, though you could argue Primeape's fingers morph into them (poor guy, loses the one thing that makes a primate special).

Just because it's a Japanese game doesn't mean all the representations/references in the game are Japanese. Hitmonchan was based on Jackie Chan, a Chinese martial artist, who practices a Chinese martial art.

Also what the Hell is Heracross' discipline? Conkeldurr? Croagunk? Scraggy? The Legendary Deers? Breloom? Poliwrath?

"Fighting" isn't reserved for martial artists, just Pokemon who gravitate towards violence for one reason or another. Honor optional.