This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

can someone bring me up to speed on this whole light type thing?

#11Rad_DudesmanPosted 4/29/2013 9:29:08 PM
Hitmonchan was based on Jackie Chan, a Chinese martial artist, who practices a Chinese martial art.

No, he wasn't. Hitmonchan's Japanese name makes no reference to Jackie Chan. In Japanese, he's named after Hiroyuki Ebihara, a Japanese world champion boxer, and Hitmonlee is named after Tadashi Sawmura, a Japanese kickboxer.
#12FuneralCakePosted 4/29/2013 9:29:39 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
Just because it's a Japanese game doesn't mean all the representations/references in the game are Japanese. Hitmonchan was based on Jackie Chan, a Chinese martial artist, who practices a Chinese martial art.

Though I agree with everything else you're saying, I just need to correct this:

Hitmonchan is actually based on a Japanese boxer named Hiroyuki Ebihara.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyuki_Ebihara
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
stab slowly and let it die, this is the best life my money can buy
#13Milla_MaxwellPosted 4/29/2013 9:32:24 PM
Hitmonlee = Bruce Lee

Hitmonchan = Jackie Chan

Jynx = Nicki Minaj
---
"Wherever I may live, I remain the same person. Nothing will change." - Milla Maxwell.
http://www.abload.de/img/aonp7v.gif
#14BabySh0es(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 9:34:39 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
BabySh0es posted...
Wrestling is one of the oldest martial arts FYI. The monkey has boxing gloves to be fair as well. Also keep in mind this is a JAPANESE game. Show me a traditional Japanese martial art that doesn't have some sort of honor system. As someone who has trained in Muay Thai and Boxing as well I am very aware that not all martial arts follow some code of honor, but Judo, the various forms of Karate, Aikido, and Jiu-Jitsu all do.

Mankey doesn't have boxing gloves, though you could argue Primeape's fingers morph into them (poor guy, loses the one thing that makes a primate special).

Just because it's a Japanese game doesn't mean all the representations/references in the game are Japanese. Hitmonchan was based on Jackie Chan, a Chinese martial artist, who practices a Chinese martial art.

Also what the Hell is Heracross' discipline? Conkeldurr? Croagunk? Scraggy? The Legendary Deers? Breloom? Poliwrath?

"Fighting" isn't reserved for martial artists, just Pokemon who gravitate towards violence for one reason or another. Honor optional.

Your example of the legendary deers is silly. They are part of a group called "Swords of Justice" and have the ability "Justified". Also you are right, fighting isn't reserved for martial artists....hence why the dark type is also predominantly physical and has moves that involve biting opponents, stealing from them, fake tears, sucker-punch, etc. But the trainers who use fighting pokemon tend to be martial artists...