This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wally is the best rival, arguably the best character ever made

#21Thepenguinking2Posted 4/30/2013 7:42:08 PM
I think you spelled "Cheren" wrong.
---
F*** Milotic. Lilligant is the real beauty pokemon.
The Official Shiny Zangoose of the X/y Board!
#22MecamattPosted 4/30/2013 7:58:57 PM
I want another rival like Blue in X and Y. He was just that staple "Hey I'm way better than you at everything" kinda guy, and he actually that much of a doosher in the later encounters, we really watched him mature.

Wally's probably the second best, I enjoyed watching him grow as a character. It was also fun watching Bianca realize what she really likes about Pokemon.
#23Tatakai-No-KamiPosted 4/30/2013 8:32:22 PM
you battle wally, like, once. hes also diseased and probably attempted to have sexual relations with his gardevoir.

he is a horrible, inhumane human being and he does not deserve to ever be talked about ever.
---
KINGLER for president.
http://i.imgur.com/ipgZbBu.png
#24LexifoxPosted 4/30/2013 8:36:28 PM
SpiderLantern posted...
The same could be said for Giovanni. Except for the championship part. He even quits being a villain and a gym leader after he loses to you in Viridian City.

Giovanni's goal is riches and world domination.

And Colress too seems to enjoy facing you and the challenge and somewhat knowledge he gets from you.

Colress is more or a less a neutral party who only does what it seeks to satisfy his research, no matter what the means are.

Also, I don't get that the MC wants to prove anything to N. Only stop him. But that could just be poor characterization of the MCs in pokemon games.

It's made clear that the PC represents the other hero of the Unova legends, and that Reshiram/Zekrom responds to the strength of your truth/ideals. N himself believes you will fulfill the role of the other hero. At the very least, he makes he clear he plans to be the champion and considers you his greatest challenge.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#25SpiderLanternPosted 5/1/2013 10:02:02 AM
Lexifox posted...
SpiderLantern posted...
The same could be said for Giovanni. Except for the championship part. He even quits being a villain and a gym leader after he loses to you in Viridian City.

Giovanni's goal is riches and world domination.

And Colress too seems to enjoy facing you and the challenge and somewhat knowledge he gets from you.

Colress is more or a less a neutral party who only does what it seeks to satisfy his research, no matter what the means are.

Also, I don't get that the MC wants to prove anything to N. Only stop him. But that could just be poor characterization of the MCs in pokemon games.

It's made clear that the PC represents the other hero of the Unova legends, and that Reshiram/Zekrom responds to the strength of your truth/ideals. N himself believes you will fulfill the role of the other hero. At the very least, he makes he clear he plans to be the champion and considers you his greatest challenge.

Good points. But N only wanted to be champion in order to show how strong he was and that he was indeed the hero. To me rivals are only the character that starts of with the starter that's strong against you and faces the gym challenge like you. As far as I could tell, N did not face any gyms. He only challenges Alder.

Also N and Giovanni both have certain goals pertaining to the evil teams plans, but end up getting interested in the main character and defeating them. By the end of each story both of them abandon their original plans. Of Giovanni truly only wanted riches he would have kept up after being defeated. Unlike the other evil teams his wasn't about a certain plan, just making money. So even defeat by the MC doesn't ruin his goals.
---
"Everyone step back. Me and this Jigglypuff are going to tangle and I don't want anyone getting hurt."
#26LexifoxPosted 5/1/2013 10:15:35 AM
SpiderLantern posted...
Good points. But N only wanted to be champion in order to show how strong he was and that he was indeed the hero. To me rivals are only the character that starts of with the starter that's strong against you and faces the gym challenge like you.

To me a rival is someone who shares a similar goal, works to beat you to said goal... which is what this is. N's role is almost identical to the "standard" rival. He appears very early (before you get the first badge), he shares the same end goal (Pokemon League), he challenges key trainers (gyms, E4, champion), he battles you regularly (obvious), the list goes on.

As far as I could tell, N did not face any gyms. He only challenges Alder.

He challenges the gyms and then makes his way into the League's E4. If you talk to them, you'll notice they talk about a strong challenger: Shauntal writes about a man who rejects others to bring about change, and Grimsley comments on how challengers are coming frequently that day.

Also N and Giovanni both have certain goals pertaining to the evil teams plans, but end up getting interested in the main character and defeating them.

Giovanni doesn't have an interest in you or sets out to defeat you. Giovanni has plans related to his team and his own goals that happen to interfere with yours and you end up battling and defeating him as a result. N actively seeks you out and demands battles with you because you're so fascinating to him, because he wants to see if truth or ideals will win, and because he wants to trump you as a champion.

By the end of each story both of them abandon their original plans. Of Giovanni truly only wanted riches he would have kept up after being defeated. Unlike the other evil teams his wasn't about a certain plan, just making money. So even defeat by the MC doesn't ruin his goals.

Giovanni does end up abandoning his goal: He disbands Team Rocket after his defeat and then sets out to return to the life of a normal trainer. Though this is retconned by HG/SS where he's eager to return to Team Rocket, he doesn't pursue wealth and power.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#27Pooo869Posted 5/1/2013 10:31:43 AM
they should have made paul the rival in DPPt, he was like blue but over 9000x douchier(?)
---
Black 2 FC - 3869-6069-8826 -PSN- Pooo869
"You know you and I are alike, we do not fear the things we must do"