This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does anyone else miss when Ghost and Dragon used to be unique types?

#1Davidk92Posted 4/30/2013 4:19:40 PM
Only the Gengar and Dragonite lines had them. It made them feel special. Now they're no more unique than the other 15 types... *sigh*
---
"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can't do."
~Walter Bagehot
#2RatedRKO7Posted 4/30/2013 4:20:50 PM
no
---
Got it memorized?- Axel
Pokemon X & Y takes place in France started 1/8/13 Official Infernape and Jasmine of The Pokemon X Board and Kyogre of Pokemon Y
#3Strain42Posted 4/30/2013 4:25:06 PM
Dragon I understand kind of being a big deal, as that's established in the Pokemon mythos that Dragon Pokemon are supposed to be these rare creatures

But Ghost is just Ghost. I never really assumed there was any special REASON why the Gastly line were the only ghosts. I just assumed it worked out that way.

As far as I'm concerned, more of any type is a good thing.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#4austinglPosted 4/30/2013 4:25:31 PM
I honestly don't care
---
Official Red Eyes B. Dragon of WC2011 board
If you don't believe in a god then shut up about not believing.
#5MetaFalconPunchPosted 4/30/2013 4:32:25 PM
RatedRKO7 posted...
no

---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.
#6Ari917Posted 4/30/2013 4:34:34 PM
They're still the lowest and second-lowest in number among the other types, so no.
---
Official Wyvern Lord of the Awakening Board
#7NewMoonShadowPosted 4/30/2013 4:40:43 PM
The irony is that there wasn't a single pure-Ghost type in Red and Blue. Not only was there not a single pure Ghost-Type, but their unfortunate sub-type (Poison) made them weak against the Type they were supposed to be strong against (Psychic).

Anyway, there really aren't THAT many dragons, there are only a few introduced in each generation who aren't Legendaries, and many of those only have Dragon as a sub-type.

Gen 1
-Dratini

Gen 2
-Kingdra (Water/Dragon)

Gen 3
-Vibrava (Ground/Dragon)
-Altaria
-Bagon

Gen 4
-Gible

Gen 5
-Axew
-Druddigon
-Deino (Dark/Dragon)

All the other Dragons are Legendaries, as their legendary mythos would seem to imply. There are just a lot of them now because there have been a lot of Generations of Pokemon.
#8wahaha911Posted 4/30/2013 4:42:46 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
The irony is that there wasn't a single pure-Ghost type in Red and Blue. Not only was there not a single pure Ghost-Type, but their unfortunate sub-type (Poison) made them weak against the Type they were supposed to be strong against (Psychic).

Anyway, there really aren't THAT many dragons, there are only a few introduced in each generation who aren't Legendaries, and many of those only have Dragon as a sub-type.

Gen 1
-Dratini

Gen 2
-Kingdra (Water/Dragon)

Gen 3
-Vibrava (Ground/Dragon)
-Altaria
-Bagon

Gen 4
-Gible

Gen 5
-Axew
-Druddigon
-Deino (Dark/Dragon)

All the other Dragons are Legendaries, as their legendary mythos would seem to imply. There are just a lot of them now because there have been a lot of Generations of Pokemon.

They weren't SUPPOSED to be stronger than psychic during gen 1 as it didn't even AFFECT psychic in gen 1
---
Asianwide is on your side!!!
Wanna take a stupid test? Click here
#9TherianReturnsPosted 4/30/2013 4:43:03 PM
Genwunner alert. There are 649+ Pokemon now. Get over it.
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. If you can't accept this, take your jealousy away from my presence.
#10NewMoonShadowPosted 4/30/2013 4:51:27 PM
wahaha911 posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...

Gen 1
-Dratini

Gen 2
-Kingdra (Water/Dragon)

Gen 3
-Vibrava (Ground/Dragon)
-Altaria
-Bagon

Gen 4
-Gible

Gen 5
-Axew
-Druddigon
-Deino (Dark/Dragon)

They weren't SUPPOSED to be stronger than psychic during gen 1 as it didn't even AFFECT psychic in gen 1

After doing some research I found this.

Ghost-type moves had no effect on Psychic Pokemon. This was actually a mistake: several game guides stated that Ghost was super-effective on Psychic, and an in-game trainer at Saffron City says that Psychic Pokemon fear only ghosts and bugs! However, this only affected one move: Lick. The two other Ghost moves, Confuse Ray and Night Shade, affected all Pokemon equally. It was corrected in Generation II when Ghost became super-effective against Psychic.

Interesting bit of trivia, and it only makes it even more hilarious that the Ghost-Type was so hilariously bad against the type they were created to counter by both poor design decision of the Pokemon itself and bugs that rendered its moves useless against Psychics.