This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How is Xatu useful over Espeon?

#1iKhanicPosted 4/30/2013 6:19:53 PM
I seriously don't get it. People say it's bulkier than Espeon, but it's not. It has 10 more base defense, but 25 less base Sp. Def, and they have the same HP. They both have recovery moves in Roost and Morning Sun. Xatu does have U-turn, but Espeon has Baton Pass.

So pretty much anything Xatu can do, Espeon can do better.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2glitchunter75Posted 4/30/2013 6:24:02 PM
Espeon doesn't have hilariously delayed reactions. Or the ability to open treasure boxes.
---
Is Sylveon my long-lost cousin?! I must know!
Official Shiny Victini of all Pokemon boards.
#3Strain42Posted 4/30/2013 6:35:41 PM
Xatu can fly and looks more awesome*

*in my opinion
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#4iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 6:36:58 PM
Strain42 posted...
Xatu can fly and looks more awesome*

*in my opinion

Xatu is awesome, but it's inferior to the amazing combination of adorable and badass that Espeon is
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#5ClassyOldHatPosted 4/30/2013 6:59:51 PM
Roost always heals half of your health, and possibly makes some attacks less effective. Morning Sun, however, only heals half in normal weather, or Harsh Sunlight (where it heals more). In Hail, and the more popular Rain and Sandstorm, it only heals a third of your health.

They're roughly equal in bulk in theory, but in practice, Xatu ends up bulkier on average in the Rain/Sandstorm dominated metagame.
#6iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 7:05:18 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
They're roughly equal in bulk in theory, but in practice, Xatu ends up bulkier on average in the Rain/Sandstorm dominated metagame.

Huh? How does weather affect their practical bulk? Neither is a rock type and they have similar typings. Espeon is still much more specially bulky, while Xatu is slightly more physically bulky, but has a worse typing.

Also, I think people give too much weight to Morning Sun's varied recovery. Yes, it's not as useful in Sandstorms or Rain, but it's amazing in the sun, and it's still somewhat useful in other weather.
---
#7J-Don-BonnePosted 4/30/2013 7:11:14 PM
glitchunter75 posted...
Espeon doesn't have hilariously delayed reactions. Or the ability to open treasure boxes.

Is it wrong that I got both of these references immediately?
---
Official Spike of the PSASBR Board
PSN: FrossToad Big fan of Marceline the Vampire Queen.
#8ClassyOldHatPosted 4/30/2013 9:11:47 PM
iKhanic posted...
ClassyOldHat posted...

Huh? How does weather affect their practical bulk? Neither is a rock type and they have similar typings. Espeon is still much more specially bulky, while Xatu is slightly more physically bulky, but has a worse typing.

Also, I think people give too much weight to Morning Sun's varied recovery. Yes, it's not as useful in Sandstorms or Rain, but it's amazing in the sun, and it's still somewhat useful in other weather.

Being rock type doesn't have anything to do with it. Also, as I mentioned earlier, Roost temporarily removes the flying type resistances and weaknesses, so the "worse" typing is slightly mitigated by that.

The bolded part is the crux of the argument, though: if you aren't specifically running a sun team, chances are high the main weather you'll see are Rain and Sandstorm, as they are used by an overwhelming majority of OU teams; you can't rely on the foe setting up sun, or leaving the weather as is. Thus, if you don't set up Sun yourself, most opponents will choose a weather that ensures Espeon's recovery is usually not worth the turn, decreasing its overall survivability in comparison to Xatu.

I'll admit, I haven't used Xatu competitively yet, so I'm only working on theory here. If you read that it's bulky on Smogon, you might have simply been reading the UU article, where it is relatively bulky in a world that doesn't compare it to the OU Espeon, and my points mean nothing.
#9iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2013 11:05:18 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
iKhanic posted...
ClassyOldHat posted...

Being rock type doesn't have anything to do with it. Also, as I mentioned earlier, Roost temporarily removes the flying type resistances and weaknesses, so the "worse" typing is slightly mitigated by that.

The bolded part is the crux of the argument, though: if you aren't specifically running a sun team, chances are high the main weather you'll see are Rain and Sandstorm, as they are used by an overwhelming majority of OU teams; you can't rely on the foe setting up sun, or leaving the weather as is. Thus, if you don't set up Sun yourself, most opponents will choose a weather that ensures Espeon's recovery is usually not worth the turn, decreasing its overall survivability in comparison to Xatu.

I'll admit, I haven't used Xatu competitively yet, so I'm only working on theory here. If you read that it's bulky on Smogon, you might have simply been reading the UU article, where it is relatively bulky in a world that doesn't compare it to the OU Espeon, and my points mean nothing.

Yeah, I was just a bit confused with your wording. I usually imply the term bulk to mean stat wise, not survivability.

I actually tried using a bulky Espeon recently, and it worked surprisingly well for my sun team. While it was a bit annoying in sand or rain, when I kept the sun up, Espeon was an amazing tank, especially with Light Screen and Reflect up. Even in the sand and rain, 130 Sp. Atk hits surprisingly hard without investment, so it's a functional tank.
---
#10Rad_DudesmanPosted 5/3/2013 11:09:21 PM
Espeon has to reach for coverage with Hidden Power Fire, while Xatu can roast Ferrothorn with Heat Wave.