This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ITT: Most disappointing animation

#1Muffinz0rzPosted 5/1/2013 11:32:30 AM
Assuming this mainly applies to battles and attack animations, but other things also count, I just can't think of any. Also, mainly applies to newer gens.

For me, it's 5th gen Solarbeam (the actual attack, not the charging turn). I mean, the bright yellow flash at the beginning is pretty cool, which leads you to expect a huge, badass laser. Instead, you're given a pitiful yellow vertical beam that doesn't even last a full second.

Not to mention, it moves from the ground towards the sky, which doesn't even make sense. Despite it being vertical instead of horizontal, you'd think it would at LEAST come down from the sun, not up from the ground...

tl;dr: For a two-turn attack, solarbeam is not fun to look at.
---
Not changing this sig until Pat Benatar is in Super Smash Bros. (Started 8/31/2010)
Also, Official Ampharos of the B/W Boards Clan.
#2CakeOfLiesPosted 5/1/2013 12:13:27 PM
Shadow Force is fairly anti-climatic.
Giratina just flashes away (just... Gone. That's it) and then reappears with a little burst. You'd think there would at least be a background to it like Psystrike, but no.

Actually, there are a lot of Gen V attack animations that make them look less powerful than Gen IV made them look.

Also, it's not disappointing, but it's kinda stupid how Gen V uses sprites from either Diamond/Pearl or Platinum, but almost never from HeartGold and SoulSilver.
Charizard looked so much better in HG/SS than he did in D/P and yet Gen V uses his D/P sprite. Other sprites, like Scyther, had pretty good sprites in all the Gen IV games but in Gen V he's in what looks like a very uncomfortable position.

Almost every sprite that Game Freak recycled from Gen IV was one that didn't look very good. The new sprites for old Pokemon are also pretty bad. Why can't they just make them all look great?
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 4342-3001-3593.
#3EnferolunosPosted 5/1/2013 12:15:09 PM
CakeOfLies posted...
Giratina just flashes away (just... Gone. That's it) and then reappears with a little burst. You'd think there would at least be a background to it like Psystrike, but no.

Actually, there are a lot of Gen V attack animations that make them look less powerful than Gen IV made them look.

Also, it's not disappointing, but it's kinda stupid how Gen V uses sprites from either Diamond/Pearl or Platinum, but almost never from HeartGold and SoulSilver.
Charizard looked so much better in HG/SS than he did in D/P and yet Gen V uses his D/P sprite. Other sprites, like Scyther, had pretty good sprites in all the Gen IV games but in Gen V he's in what looks like a very uncomfortable position.

Almost every sprite that Game Freak recycled from Gen IV was one that didn't look very good. The new sprites for old Pokemon are also pretty bad. Why can't they just make them all look great?

Because it's supposed to be like RBGY and RBGY had awful sprites
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#4CakeOfLiesPosted 5/1/2013 12:16:12 PM
Enferolunos posted...
CakeOfLies posted...

Really?
If that's true, then wow. That's sad.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 4342-3001-3593.
#5EnferolunosPosted 5/1/2013 12:17:00 PM
CakeOfLies posted...
Enferolunos posted...
CakeOfLies posted...

Really?
If that's true, then wow. That's sad.

>_>
It's a joke, but an amusing parallel
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#6JagusPosted 5/1/2013 12:27:25 PM
Hyper Beam. Especially as it got worse from Gen 1 to Gen 3.
---
No, marriage is about love. It fails because people think love can be reduced to a feeling. - On the Edge
#7Xavier_On_HighPosted 5/1/2013 12:43:36 PM
Strength. Every animation for it except for Gen 2 is awful.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltnafhjcUz1qmxswbo1_500.gif
#8Octaivian_RexPosted 5/1/2013 2:11:28 PM
Came in to say solarbeam. TC already covered it. I miss my kill sat beam from generation 4.
---
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4489/actuallyworks.gif
#9erekwashere15Posted 5/1/2013 3:14:02 PM
Gen V Outrage. Less red, more blue. Less flame design too.
---
Winner of ares9090's Slaking Award
Official Scrafty and Barry of the B/W 2 Boards
#10erekwashere15Posted 5/1/2013 3:17:27 PM
CakeOfLies posted...

It's most obvious on Magnezone, who in Platinum got his magnets colored instead of plain black, then Gen V comes out and he's back to black magnets.
---
Winner of ares9090's Slaking Award
Official Scrafty and Barry of the B/W 2 Boards