This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is RNGing for exactly what you want legit?

#11RunebogglePosted 5/2/2013 7:37:39 AM
RNGs are supposed to give out random numbers.

No, they're designed to produce seemingly random numbers from an algorithm that you (usually) seed at the start of program run with the current time.

Seeing as true randomness is nearly impossible to simulate, we're stuck with things that can be easily exploited.
---
Si || Mosrael, the Waker
#12SlimeStackPosted 5/2/2013 7:41:59 AM(edited)
Edit: Meh I shouldn't have been so rude.

I already knew what an RNG did at any rate...
---
Moo
#13RethalwolfPosted 5/2/2013 7:53:28 AM(edited)
Let's see.
Got nothing against people cheating to make their teams. Having the most perfect version of a team is wonderful.
I just don't like the tier system. I want to use pokeys I like, and if it's not in the right tier, I get screwed? Don't like it. If it was all stat based, I might not mind it so much, but they toss in things like abilities mattering and ech. I don't like it.

I wish competitions involved going through the game and catching and training everything you were going to use in the competition. That would make them pretty balanced.

Edit: Uhhh maybe not balanced, but more fun. For me.
---
"The point of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the enemy die for his."
#14NinjaKitsunePosted 5/2/2013 8:10:43 AM
I consider it more legit than using an AR or Pokegen, simply because the pokemon themselves are generated entirely through in-game code. Not 100% legit, but getting the right nature and moves on a pokemon is hard enough without having to deal with IVs as well. Especially with stationary pokemon.
---
Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might...Holy **** IT'S A SATELLITE!
#15SlimeStackPosted 5/2/2013 8:12:56 AM
Rethalwolf posted...
Let's see.
Got nothing against people cheating to make their teams. Having the most perfect version of a team is wonderful.
I just don't like the tier system. I want to use pokeys I like, and if it's not in the right tier, I get screwed? Don't like it. If it was all stat based, I might not mind it so much, but they toss in things like abilities mattering and ech. I don't like it.

I wish competitions involved going through the game and catching and training everything you were going to use in the competition. That would make them pretty balanced.

Edit: Uhhh maybe not balanced, but more fun. For me.

That's not how tiers work. If you're playing in OU for instance, you can use any Pokémon that isn't uber. You aren't restricted to just OU.
---
Moo
#16SuperRup91Posted 5/2/2013 8:14:57 AM
since there is no hacking or any contact from an external device/source, I would say it is legit. It is simply exploiting the programming that already exists in the game. Yes it can be considered cheap in a way, but it is definitely not cheating.

BTW, I have never tried to RNG anything myself. It seems too complicated to be worth my time.