This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Red the only PC with a canon team?

#21EpsteinBarrPosted 5/3/2013 5:02:01 PM(edited)
slmcknett posted...
The manga isn't canon to the games, though.

Red's end team in G/S is exactly the same as in the manga. Blue's (or Green in the Japanese one) end G/S team is exactly the same as in the manga. The mangas are representative of what the creator idealizes the Pokemon world to be. I'd say it's pretty canon.
#22Luigifan141Posted 5/3/2013 5:22:59 PM(edited)
I'm pretty sure that Red is the only character with a truly cannon team. As I'm sure most of us know, it's based off of Yellow version. Pikachu is the starter. Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise are all given to you early on in the game. Snorlax could be caught in two different places in Yellow (and the other Kanto games), and in GSC/HGSS, there is only one Snorlax left, which also makes Red only catching one of the two Snorlax cannon as well. Eevee can be gotten as a gift in Celedon City, and Red apparently evolved it into Espeon by the time you fought him. (GSC only) Laparas is given to you as a gift in the Sliph Co. headquarters. (HGSS only)

The second closest we probably have to a cannon team, in terms of playable characters, is that Wes is implied to keep his Espeon and Umbreon on hand for all of Pokemon Colosseum, as Wes is always associated with his starters.
---
Official Mike Meekins of AA5 boards. Official Olimar of SSB Wii U Boards.
Playing: Paper Mario
#23Rat_a_tatPosted 5/3/2013 5:25:58 PM
EpsteinBarr posted...
slmcknett posted...

Red's end team in G/S is exactly the same as in the manga. Blue's (or Green in the Japanese one) end G/S team is exactly the same as in the manga. The mangas are representative of what the creator idealizes the Pokemon world to be. I'd say it's pretty canon.

It's not exactly the same, though. Even If we're going by his G/S/C team (Espeon in place of Lapras), he still never actually owned a Blastoise or a Charizard in the Adventures manga. He only temporarily borrowed them from Red and Green. Manga Red also uses a Poliwrath as his main battler, but its not seen in the games at all.

And on that note (and this is for anyone, really), but where do the Stadium games fall in the canon? Cuz Red has an entirely different team Stadium 2, including all three legendary beasts and all the Johto starters.
---
"Official" furry liaison to GameFAQs.
#24EpsteinBarrPosted 5/3/2013 5:30:52 PM
Luigifan141 posted...
I'm pretty sure that Red is the only character with a truly cannon team. As I'm sure most of us know, it's based off of Yellow version. Pikachu is the starter. Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise are all given to you early on in the game. Snorlax could be caught in two different places in Yellow (and the other Kanto games), and in GSC/HGSS, there is only one Snorlax left, which also makes Red only catching one of the two Snorlax cannon as well. Eevee can be gotten as a gift in Celedon City, and Red apparently evolved it into Espeon by the time you fought him. (GSC only) Laparas is given to you as a gift in the Sliph Co. headquarters. (HGSS only)

The second closest we probably have to a cannon team, in terms of playable characters, is that Wes is implied to keep his Espeon and Umbreon on hand for all of Pokemon Colosseum, as Wes is always associated with his starters.

Red's starter was Bulbasaur, he got his Pikachu from Viridian Forest, and he got Charizard and Blastoise from Green and Blue respectively.

And Lapras was given as a gift in Red and Blue too.
#25CM_PonchPosted 5/3/2013 5:35:31 PM
slmcknett posted...

So it's canon despite having a completely different story?
---
http://i.minus.com/ibaA0poozfqtmX.gif
http://i.imgur.com/0Ccy1.png
#26ThatKippPosted 5/3/2013 5:37:15 PM
So Ethan's canon team sounds like it would be Cyndaquil, Shuckle, Togepi, Tyrogue, Sudowoodo, and Gyarados.

Although, that would mean Ethan would have only Cyndaquil until about Goldenrod City. :|

Kenya the Fearow
---
Official Nate of the Pokemon X board with my pet Medicham and Victreebel
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725
#27CM_PonchPosted 5/3/2013 5:38:39 PM
So Ethan's canon team sounds like it would be Cyndaquil, Shuckle, Togepi, Tyrogue, Sudowoodo, and Gyarados.

Although, that would mean Ethan would have only Cyndaquil until about Goldenrod City. :|

Kenya the Fearow

The Pichu as well
---
#28Luigifan141Posted 5/3/2013 5:38:50 PM
EpsteinBarr posted...
Luigifan141 posted...

Red's starter was Bulbasaur, he got his Pikachu from Viridian Forest, and he got Charizard and Blastoise from Green and Blue respectively.

And Lapras was given as a gift in Red and Blue too.

I'm talking about the games. I haven't read any of the Pokemon mangas, but I did hear in Pokemon Adventures that Red had a Bulbasaur as his starter.

Yes, I do know that Lapras can be gotten in Red/Blue/Green as well. My point is that all of Red's Pokemon are gifts to him, if we go by Pokemon Yellow instead of Pokemon Adventures. Like I said, I've never read the manga, so I don't really know for sure if Red's team in the Johto games is based off of Yellow version or Adventures. (HGSS probably did base it off of Yellow, if only because Red didn't have a Lapras with him when he was at Mt. Silver in the Manga.)
---
Official Mike Meekins of AA5 boards. Official Olimar of SSB Wii U Boards.
Playing: Paper Mario
#29EpsteinBarrPosted 5/3/2013 5:39:08 PM
CM_Ponch posted...
slmcknett posted...

Yes, because it's the correct story.
#30CM_PonchPosted 5/3/2013 5:39:27 PM
CM_Ponch posted...
slmcknett posted...

Yes, because it's the correct story.

But it's not.
---